Monday, January 28, 2008

View From Along the Broken Road: January 28, 2008

the weather was *perfect* for Animal Kingdom: cool enough that the animals were active & the crowds were light, but not so cold that i was uncomfortable (i am choosing to ignore the few instances when the wind kicked up & it was a little more chilly than i would prefer).

here are some of my favorite photos from yesterday, for those of you who have been waiting...

don't they look like they're telling secrets?


i love all the building details in this park.


hmmm... that rock has eyes! ;-)


i'm watching you...


this one isn't very clear, but it makes me laugh. it looks like the parrot on the right is dancing. or maybe he's Italian & he tells stories with his "hands". ;-)


just playing around -- this one is from the poster for Finding Nemo: The Musical.


my favorite spot in the whole park: watching the family of White-cheeked Crested Gibbons. their younger daughter is a year old now & has turned from blonde to black. she's getting much more independent. she'll venture away from her mother long enough to climb a little or harass her older sister. she doesn't stay away long though.


this one is kind of difficult to pick out, but the Siamang Gibbons have had their first baby! it's a little girl & she is approximately three months old. she is cradled in the mother's lap -- you can see her shiny nose almost in the dead center of the photo -- but she blends in very well for protection. this is a big deal, since they introduced the female to the male a little less than a year ago, and they weren't sure if it would be a successful match. looks like it was!


i love this view of the elephants on Kilimanjaro Safari with the reflection in the water.


while this is not a particularly spectacular shot, it certainly is a rare one: you almost *never* see the lion standing up!


this little building detail made me laugh. i had to take a pathway i don't normally go down to circumvent the parade in progress, so i've never noticed the alligator with the frog hanging out of his teeth before!

...or you can see all of my Animal Kingdom photos here

17 with their own thoughts:

colleen Monday, January 28, 2008 1:50:00 PM  

Great photos! I feel almost as if I was there instead of freezing in Seattle.

JMP Monday, January 28, 2008 1:56:00 PM  

Great pics Dawn!!!

While you were snapping pictures at Disney yesterday I was snapping branches and twigs in the back yard...I think you had more fun yesterday than I!!!!

Oh..your take on the blue/gold parrot talking with his hands...that was too funny!!!

*krystyn* Monday, January 28, 2008 5:55:00 PM  

Great pics as usual. I love those Gibbons - absolutely adorable!!!

Amy Monday, January 28, 2008 6:49:00 PM  

Thanks! I've gotten my Disney fix and should be good for at least a week. Your package is in the mail and should arrive in 3-4 days!!!

Ted D Monday, January 28, 2008 7:23:00 PM  

Dawn, all your friends in the NE must really envy you right about now. You take excellent pictures, btw.

Nichole M Monday, January 28, 2008 7:30:00 PM  

Looks like it was a perfect day for that. And *amazing* that the lion was up walking around. Cool pic of Nemo.

Colleen Monday, January 28, 2008 7:43:00 PM  

I love the photos of the hippos and the parrots! Those photos are so vivid. Either you have a great eye or a great camera =)

BTW-It is freezing and raining and snowy. I'm coming over for dinner. Okay? Okay.

Reverend Ref + Monday, January 28, 2008 11:36:00 PM  

(i am choosing to ignore the few instances when the wind kicked up & it was a little more chilly than i would prefer)

Yeah .... the wind kicked up here as well. A real temp of 5 with wind is a little more chilly than I would prefer as well. ;-)

Scott Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:41:00 AM  

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing them. I love animal parks, hopefully I will get to visit that one. Some day.

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, January 29, 2008 12:39:00 PM  

Colleen: This is one of the cases when almost is almost good enough huh? ;-)

JMP: I definitely had more fun. It's always more fun to give personalities to the animals in your photos. ;-)

Krystyn: Thank you! I love the gibbons too. I love watching them interact.

Mega: You could've come along.

Amy: I'll let you know when it arrives! And lucky you: I may be able to give you another fix in about a week. ;-)

Ted: Awww, thank you for thinking so. And yeah, they envy a little -- but I make it up to them by being their private WDW tour guide when they visit!

Nichole: It really was. It's so much easier to enjoy this park when you aren't melting. You should have seen me twisting all around in my seat (but not standing up!) to get those lion photos! I didn't even care that they are not very well composed.

Colleen: Sure! C'mon over! Anything in particular you'd like? ;-) My camera is ok. Just a standard Kodak point-and-shoot digital. Which makes it sound like I'm bragging on myself. LOL! I'm not. It's really just luck, I think. If you ever saw how many photos I delete...

Rev: I would be a little Dawn-sicle.

Scott: It is my firm belief that everyone should get to experience Disney World. I could watch the animals at this park for hours.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Tuesday, January 29, 2008 4:39:00 PM  

Awesome photos, but I especially love the ones of the birds! The colors are so vibrant :)

Anonymous,  Tuesday, January 29, 2008 5:41:00 PM  

Awesome photos, Dawn! Thanks for sharing!!

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, January 29, 2008 8:00:00 PM  

Stacy: I find myself drawn to them for that very reason! And they have three pairs of them: red, blue & green. Lots of photo ops!

April: Thanks!

gail@more than a song Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:05:00 PM  

You always have the best Disney photos! I love those details on the buildings, so cute...and the birds, wow! The colors are amazing, bright, vivid; just gorgeous!

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, January 30, 2008 11:57:00 AM  

Thanks, Gail. I'm glad you all don't get sick of looking at them. =)

Janet Wednesday, January 30, 2008 5:24:00 PM  

COOL shots! I especially liked the elephant one :-)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP