Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Random Thoughts: January 9, 2008

** the old route i used to take to work when i lived in Davenport a couple of years ago is a mess this morning. a combination of smoke & fog caused zero-visibility on I-4 in Polk County. there is now a 14-mile stretch of the highway that is shut down due to the visibility issues causing a pile-up of between forty and seventy vehicles (can't be sure yet because emergency officials can't see well enough to count them), at least three fatalities, multiple injuries, many vehicles burned or still burning, people trapped inside cars, and two Medivac helicopters that could not land because they could not see the ground.
(photo from The Ledger)
what i don't understand is why on earth anyone thought that "controlled burning" was a good plan during the driest months in Central Florida. but more than that, i am thankful that i no longer need to travel this route to and from work every day.

** i am all about the learning of random information the last few days. these lessons brought to you by the Hollywood Writers Strike. =P

** while watching Dirty Jobs last night, did you know that when male llamas fight over mating rights, they ummm... try to bite off each other's ::ahem:: piece of the anatomy no man wants to be kicked in?! that's one way to prevent someone from stealing your intended mate: castrate him. with your teeth.

** good Lord... i don't even want to know the searches that will result in hits on my blog for *that* little tidbit.

** Dirty Jobs also taught me that life pretty much sucks if you're born a tilapia.

** while doing some reading, i also learned that "the Balinese believe that babies come to the earth as gods and do not become human until they reach the age of six months, at which time they honor them with a formal ceremony that includes touching their feet to the earth for the first time." while it's not something *i* believe, i find it very very interesting that they hold their infants in such high regard.

** i also learned something that made me a little annoyed with my playlist. apparently some of the songs only come through as 30-second clips when i embed it in my blog. the thing is, you can't tell which songs will do this. when you're logged into the site (the account is free), all of the songs on my playlist work fine. there are some songs that are still only available in 30-second clips, at the artist's or label's request, but those are clearly marked as such. you get *no* warning that a song is only available in full-length if you are logged into your imeem account until you embed it & then try to listen. grrrr...

** i have discovered a few new blogs that i'm really enjoying. i think it may be time to give the ol' Blogroll in the left sidebar an update!

8 with their own thoughts:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:00:00 AM  

I haven't watched Dirty Jobs, but saw it when I was channel surfing last night. Man, there is like NOTHING on TV with this writers strike. Thank goodness I love to read! I can't even surf b/c my laptop is dead. :(

Have a good day!!!

Debi Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:35:00 PM  

Oh my goodness, that pile-up sounds horrendous! I'm glad that's no longer your route!

*krystyn* Wednesday, January 09, 2008 5:10:00 PM  

Great tips from DIRTY JOBS...

I learned that Balinese baby fact while reading EAT, LOVE, PRAY...I found it interesting as well.

Ted D Wednesday, January 09, 2008 6:15:00 PM  

Dawn, I love Dirty Jobs. And I read about this accident in the paper today. Very glad to hear you don't take that road and the genius who decided on the controlled burning? Heaven help us.

The llama story? I cringed. Really bad.

Anonymous,  Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:39:00 PM  

Dirty Jobs is hilarious. I haven't seen a ton of episodes, but my favorite so far is when he goes to the pig farm in Las Vegas. They feed the pigs this slop that is made from all the leftover buffets in town... and you know how many there must be! The guy who runs it was so funny.

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:56:00 AM  

Stacy: That is such a bummer. I hope you guys get up & running soon.

Debi: It was pretty unreal. There are some stories coming in now that are horrific. And I believe they are valid, as they are coming through from the wife of someone I work with who is a nurse at our local hospital.

Krystyn: I think that's the book this person was reading when they blogged about it!

Ted: You can let out your breath. At least you know it wasn't your boys. ;-) And I have to tell you, I cringed too.

Nichole: That show is so gross sometimes. To the point that I'v had to look away or turn it off. But the guy is hysterical. I love all the sarcasm!

Anonymous,  Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:40:00 AM  

Love random thoughts...
I love dirty jobs... thought of inviting him to come work with me when i worked at a doggie boarding kennel...
some of those jobs... EWWwwwwww

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:00:00 AM  

Keri: That's funny! I thought it would be funny to see him work in the infant room of a daycare. I have seen some *nasty* things in my time, thanks to working there for five years.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP