Friday, January 25, 2008

today's random Red Sox off-season coping strategy quote: November 25, 2007

two years ago, Julian was my "Lugo" and if you had told me i would grow to like him, i would have given you The Stink Eye. i never would have predicted that as 2006 wound down, i would start to like him, just a tiny bit. and that by Spring Training 2007, i would outright admit to liking the guy. rest assured, though, that there is room for only one player to make that kind of complete metamorphosis. there will be no such change of heart for JFL.

2. All right, I'll admit it. My pre-Boston perception of Julian Tavarez couldn't have been more wrong. I thought he was a hothead, a lunatic, a selfish clubhouse cancer and unpopular teammate who didn't particularly care about winning. Oh, he's still a hothead and a lunatic, but it's become apparent that he's an endearing and extremely well-liked hothead/lunatic, one whose tantrums usually are the direct result of his frustration with letting his teammates down. It's funny, but he has many of the same characteristics, both positive and self-destructive, as Oil Can Boyd had back in the day. From his comical one-sided dugout chats with Dice-K to his part-time gig as Manny's unofficial spokesman to his willingness to pitch in any role and situation that the team requests of him, it's clear that Tavarez and the Red Sox are a good fit. Who knew? Surely not me.
(Touching All the Bases)

4 with their own thoughts:

Ted D Friday, January 25, 2008 2:27:00 PM  

I love Tavarez, if only for the "petting Manny's head" game from last year. And him and Daisuke yukking it up in the dugout is hilarious.

It made me a little sad when Tavarez got left off the post season roster. But if you watch the games, he's right there on the top step every game.

JMP Friday, January 25, 2008 5:13:00 PM  

Hey Dawn,
So... do you like LUGO now????
Wow ...I can feel the STINK EYE!!!!

Travarez is quite a character ain't he?
But I still worry every time he is on the mound even though I like him..odd how that works.

Nichole M Friday, January 25, 2008 6:15:00 PM  

I almost can't believe we ever called him ugly ez. feel bad now

~**Dawn**~ Saturday, January 26, 2008 12:47:00 AM  

Ted: He is so much more of a team player than I ever gave him credit for. I appreciate his willingness to do whatever they ask of him.

JMP: So you pop up out of nowhere to stir up trouble? ;-) I don't know that I worry so much as I find myself really pulling for him, and cheering like crazy when he does well.

Nichole: I feel bad too. I do not feel bad about making fun of Lugo though. Or for being glad Seanez is gone.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP