Wednesday, January 30, 2008

90.

January 30, 1918.
my Gramp entered the world like all of us do.
a tiny little baby.
they named him Walter.
no middle name.
he would have been ninety years old today.

and because i managed to score myself a kickin' deal on a new printer/scanner -- one of those all-in-one jobs -- the very first thing you get treated to is a photo of me with my Gramp. especially since you all seemed to take such great joy in the last one i shared. ;-)

this time, there are no big glasses. sorry. =P
but you do get to see how cute i used to be.

this is me & Gramp, Christmas 1978. i was two years & two months old.
and now, my friends, you have seen one semi-cute toddler & one of the greatest men ever to walk this earth. most of you didn't know him, but take my word for it.

bonus tidbit: if you look on the end table behind my Gramp's head, you see a white sphere. that is a snowball candle. i still have that candle. unburned. it's sitting on top of my cabinet right now. to me, it is priceless.

18 with their own thoughts:

Ingrid Wednesday, January 30, 2008 11:41:00 PM  

Aw! That's such a great pic. I think it's wondeful that you still have that candle. I can see just by looking at the photo that you absolutely adored him.

marianne Thursday, January 31, 2008 12:06:00 AM  

aw, that's so, so cute - it's so obvious that you loved each other. reminds me of Lew/Christy photos... too sweet.

April Thursday, January 31, 2008 12:37:00 AM  

So sweet - you can tell you both love each other deeply in this pic!!

*krystyn* Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:34:00 AM  

Great picture and WOW, that's an old candle...and I don't mean that you're old (cuz I'm older), but that candle has been around for a while...very cool!!

Ted D Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:21:00 AM  

What do you mean, how cute you USED to be? :)

Your Grandpa sounds like he was a great man. Very nice of you to remember him in this way.

Anonymous,  Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:35:00 AM  

Sweet picture! Could you please share what printer/scanner you bought and where etc.? I'm in the market for one. Thnx

Mega Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:10:00 AM  

Great pic. If only I was born a day earlier I would have had the same bday =)

Your grandpa sounds like he was truly an awesome man. Makes me miss my granpa.

Heather Thursday, January 31, 2008 12:25:00 PM  

he was a truly wonderful man! i loved going to your grandparent's house growing up. that is an adorable picture just a year or so before we knew each other!

Debi Thursday, January 31, 2008 1:23:00 PM  

Oh Dawn, this is one of the most precious photos I've ever seen! You can just feel the love radiating from it!

I will take issue with both "how cute i used to be" and "one semi-cute toddler" though! No "semi" there...you were freakin' adorable. And you still are!

gail@more than a song Thursday, January 31, 2008 3:46:00 PM  

Your picture is priceless! And you are totally adorable! What love y'all had, such a gift.
I hope my little grandkids will feel partially like that about me one day!

Janet Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:26:00 PM  

awww, you both are adorable! Thank you for sharing it with us :-)

Nichole M Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:31:00 PM  

I agree with Ted... what do you mean "used to be"? sheesh... ;-)

He seems so cool... relaxed. Wish I could have met him.

Anonymous,  Thursday, January 31, 2008 5:55:00 PM  

AWESOME pic! And the fact that you still have that candle after all these years? Like you said, PRICELESS!

Scott Friday, February 01, 2008 9:50:00 AM  

What a cutie! With memories like these your grandpas' legacy will continue to live on for a long time.

~**Dawn**~ Friday, February 01, 2008 10:30:00 AM  

Ok, ok! You all win! LOL! I was a pretty cute kid. I don't know that I see myself as cute now so much, but you all have to admit that it's pretty tough for an adult to compete with toddler cuteness.

I love that I can scan in old photos again. I missed having a scanner. And oh boy do I have some good ones I can share. >=]

Krystyn: LOL! I knew what you meant. And the thing is, that is a really old candle! I don't even know how much older than me it actually is but I know it was around long before I was!

Heather: You are one of the few people who can actually say you knew him. =) And can you believe we were so small when we first became friends?? We really were Catherine-sized! Hmmm... I wonder what other old photos I can dig up... ;-)

Debi: You are one of the sweetest people I know. And your comments always make the receiver feel good. =)

Gail: I am sure they will!

Nichole: I wish you could have too. I definitely can my laid-back-ness from my Gramp. It was tough to ruffle his feathers too.

Smitty: It's one of the items that survived all those moves I made. Some things are just to precious to ever part with.

Thanks, Scott. That is one of the reasons I am so happy to have a scanner again. All those old photos I have need to be archived somehow, just in case something should happen to them, so I know I want to scan them into my web albums, as well as onto my external hard drive, and it's wonderful to be able to share parts of the memories here too.

Colleen Friday, February 01, 2008 9:07:00 PM  

Great Post Dawn. Love the pic. it is adorable! You are such a cute little kid! And it looks like your Gramp really adored you...who wouldn't ;-)

~**Dawn**~ Friday, February 01, 2008 11:35:00 PM  

LOL! I could give you a list, Colleen. ;-)

Anonymous,  Saturday, February 02, 2008 10:55:00 AM  

What a great pic... shows just pure happiness from both of you !

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP