Monday, January 7, 2008

there's (almost) always room for Jello

i know people have very.... mixed feelings on Jello. having been raised on its presence on my Gram's table, i'm ok with Jello. there were big bowls of it in cherry or strawberry or raspberry for dessert during the hot Summer months. and tiny bowls of it when there were upset tummies. always the red flavors.

on the holidays, the Jello molds would come out. Easter and Thanksgiving brought orange Jello with shredded carrot & pineapple. (i know, but it was surprisingly good! or maybe an acquired taste. ::shrugs::) for Christmas, we had lime with pear slices & maraschino cherries, which was ok, but not really my favorite, truth be told.

in my late teens & early twenties, i was introduced to the shockingly yummy Strawberry Pretzel Salad that my then boyfriend's sisters would make. i remember tasting it tentatively once, to be polite, and then promptly understood why there were *never* any leftovers.

about the same time, i asked my Gram if i could try a new Jello mold for Thanksgiving, just to change things up a little. it was a variation of this Sparkling Fruit Mold (except that i used regular ginger ale instead of diet, and the flavor of Jello i used -- Sparkling White Grape -- is apparently not sold anymore). it was such a hit that my family never let a Thanksgiving go by without it again.

in principle, i can see why some people are not fond of Jello. it's a strange consistency. and it quivers independently. it's mildly alarming, trying to wrap your mind around eating something that actually looks like it's afraid of you. ;-) but having grown accustomed to this "culinary" oddity, i'm not intimidated.

i do think, however, that i've finally met my match with the discovery of Scott's Holiday Salad. i have officially joined the ranks of those who are afraid to eat something made of Jello.

11 with their own thoughts:

Colleen Monday, January 07, 2008 11:39:00 PM  

I love love Jello! That holiday salad looks gross but who knows, I'd try it. I'll try just about anything. BUT!Have You ever tried ASPICK? Now that's disgusting

~**Dawn**~ Monday, January 07, 2008 11:43:00 PM  

I am almost afraid to ask what that is, Colleen...

Holly Tuesday, January 08, 2008 12:17:00 AM  

Oh my, that Scott's Holiday Salad.... What in the world???!! Ha! I'm not a big fan of jello, but I would taste it. Looks scary though. That strawberry pretzel jello salad is a good one though. I think for me, I just have to be in the mood for it, and it has to be mixed with something. Plain jello is just too jiggly and boring for me. Cute post! :)

*krystyn* Tuesday, January 08, 2008 6:49:00 AM  

Oh, you haven't had Jello 'til you've had it in Mexico - they make the best Jello ever - especially the flavors that are made w/milk instead of water.

YUM!!!!

One of the many things I miss about living in Mexico.

Chele76 Tuesday, January 08, 2008 7:56:00 AM  

Scott is one weird dude....

I can't stand jello. I've tried it so many times. Just the smell of it reminds me of when I used to get stomach viruses as a kid (and they were often...) I would not be able to hold anything down, but mom would keep giving me jello so that I would not dehydrate (or get the dry heaves - yuck!)

As soon as I see it, the first thing I want to do is stomp my feet on the ground, pout and say "but I don't feel sick!!!"

Anonymous,  Tuesday, January 08, 2008 10:22:00 AM  

I. LOVE. JELLO. But oh my god, that Scott's Holiday salad is the most disgusting and WRONG thing I've ever seen. CUCUMBERS? In JELLO?

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:11:00 AM  

Holly: I am the same way -- I have to be in the right mood. But there is no way I'm ever going to be in the mood for that Scott one.

Krystyn: With milk? Hmmm...

Chele: It's the first thing I want when my tummy is really unhappy. That & some ginger ale.

April: And the onions! And celery! And vinegar?! There is no chance that I would even try that. It's like a big jiggly pickle. =P

Colleen Tuesday, January 08, 2008 4:50:00 PM  

Dawn-OOOOOOOoooOOoo ILOVE pickles!

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:32:00 PM  

So do I, Colleen, but not in my Jello. =P

Anonymous,  Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:10:00 AM  

My daddy had jello at least once a week. He used to put canned fruit salad into it and everytime i used to run around and say 'he poisoned' it.... thanks for the memory this am.
Funny how a type of food will do that...

Heather Saturday, January 12, 2008 9:28:00 AM  

possibly would give it a try without the onions and celery but then again probably not

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP