Monday, February 4, 2008

a girl & her Gram



that photo in the photo was taken when i was fourteen months old. what's even more precious is that this is the same frame my Gram had it in on her nightstand for as long as i can remember. and now it's on mine.

i was my Gram's Sweet Bug.

i can still hear her sweet soprano singing the hymn "How Great Thou Art" in my mind.

today is her birthday. the year she was born, there was a blizzard on February 4. the doctor could not make it to their house & her father delivered her. every year, there was some kind of Winter storm on her birthday -- snow, sleet, freezing rain. the first February 4 after she passed away, the sun shone.

i miss her.

18 with their own thoughts:

Nichole M Monday, February 04, 2008 11:28:00 PM  

Happy birthday, Gram. Sqeezy Dawn in her dreams, k? She misses you.

Ted D Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:43:00 AM  

Dawn, I think it's great the memories you have of your grandparents.

Judging by their grand daughter, I'd say they were great people.

Jeanne Tuesday, February 05, 2008 10:40:00 AM  

That is just the sweetest picture and how great to have it in the same frame your Gram had.

Heather Tuesday, February 05, 2008 11:32:00 AM  

just to add to the memories we had snow and freezing rain yesterday! i wondered why i did not mind it when it was happening and i was driving now after reading this i know why!

Janet Tuesday, February 05, 2008 2:52:00 PM  

That is so sweet! Love that you have the frame now :-)

Anonymous,  Tuesday, February 05, 2008 4:12:00 PM  

Wow. goosebumps with the image of the sun shining!

*krystyn* Tuesday, February 05, 2008 6:38:00 PM  

Awesome story about your Gram!! I have a cherished pic of my grandma and I too. Grandmas are awesome!!

Ingrid Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:42:00 PM  

Thank you for sharing more memories like this. You're such a sweet girl!

I love that you even know what the weather was like on the day she was born!

gail@more than a song Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:57:00 PM  

Oh another sweet photo of you with one of your grandparents! Such special memories and great pictures.

Anonymous,  Tuesday, February 05, 2008 9:25:00 PM  

How sweet. What a precious picture of y'all. I miss my Grandma, too. (((HUGS)))

kreed Tuesday, February 05, 2008 9:42:00 PM  

What great pictures you have of you with your grandparents...and how cool that you have it in the very same frame.

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, February 05, 2008 11:59:00 PM  

Nichole: =) That's very sweet of you.

Thanks Chele.

Ted: Awww... ::kicks at the ground:: They were good people, that much I know.

Jeanne: It brings back such a flood of memories when I see it in that same frame, because I can picture it on her nightstand and visualize her bedroom exactly. My grandparents' home was my favorite place on earth when I was a kid.

Heather: =)

Janet: It's kind of tacky & way dated, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. =)

April: Weird, isn't it?

Krystyn: Aren't those just the things that can cheer you up in an instant when you need it? I see that photo & I have to smile.

Ingrid: I used to beg her to tell that story all the time when I was little. I just couldn't fathom that her father delivered her himself.

Gail: I was lucky enough to get so many old photos from my grandparents. Gram knew how much photos mean to me & she would give me any that she would find.

Carrie: Thanks! =)

kreed: Wait til you see some of the other ones I have to share in the future!

Michelle Quinno Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:47:00 AM  

Wow, that's such an amazing story! I was like that with my Nana. I have her photo up in my scrap room (the two of us).

marianne Thursday, February 07, 2008 1:36:00 AM  

Dawn, I just love the stories/memories you share of your grandparents... I hope my grandchildren have such sweet and loving ones too. It's so cool you have her frame... what a treasure. :)

Colleen Thursday, February 07, 2008 2:17:00 AM  

Aww, this is really sweet Dawn. How she had this picture of the two of you and now you do. Makes me think of my grandmother. I know i'm her favorite. I love her soooo much. I gotta go before I get dust in my eyes....=)

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:45:00 AM  

Mamichelle: Having photos like that displayed is really comforting, isn't it?

Marianne: I have *no* douby they already do!

Colleen: Right. Dust. ;-) It's pretty awesome to be the favorite, isn't it? Not that we're gloating or anything. ;-)

Lisa Carroll Friday, February 08, 2008 1:10:00 PM  

the first February 4 after she passed away, the sun shone.

How sweetly amazing is that. :)

You are so fortunate to have had such a close relationship with her.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP