Sunday, February 17, 2008

and just like that, we're back

yeah, yeah. i took an impromptu hiatus for a few days. just admit it made you miss me a little. absence makes the heart grow fonder & all that.

i'm back, so we're good now, right?

know what else is back?

the Captain.

(photo from The Boston Globe)

the Commander.

(photo from The Boston Herald)

the Flutterball.

(photo from The Boston Herald)

the Face Beast.

(photo from Yahoo! Sports)

life? it is good.
so good.

i was thinking about a year ago. they were just reassembling after a difficult 06. we were starting fresh. putting an incredibly frustrating season behind us. for the first time, i heard the names Clay Buchholz and Jacoby Ellsbury during Spring Training games on the radio. (yep, i listen to those too. i soak in every possible second of baseball that i can get, because that two week drought between the Super Bowl and Pitchers & Catchers Day? it's about the most painfully empty ten days known to... well, me, anyway.)

where was i...? oh yes.

we were just meeting the likes of Jacoby Ellsbury and getting a taste of Clay Buchholz for the very first time. and just a short twelve months later, Speedy McEllsbury has played an integral role in the Sox winning their second World Series in four years, and Clay gave us the treat of a no-hitter in his second major league start.

makes me wonder what we'll see as we meet some new faces. like Michael Bowden.

(photo from The Boston Globe)
and Justin Masterson... Jed Lowrie -- all three, names that were tossed around during the interminably long Santana negotiations. after the way last year's sneak previews panned out, i have to say, i am excited we get first dibs on seeing the fruits of our farm system, even if it means taking a pass on a Beckett-Santana anchored rotation.

that's what i love best about February. anything is possible. that delicious anticipation of hot summer nights & the crack of a ball launched off the end of Papi's bat lay before us. it's all rolling out before our very eyes. the stage is being set.

roll the opening credits.

(photo from Yahoo! Sports)

11 with their own thoughts:

Ted D Sunday, February 17, 2008 9:39:00 PM  

Dawn, how cool is it we have the same picture on our posts?

It's great to have new pictures to look at and articles to read.

It's been a LONG 4 months, but baseball is finally here.

Hope you had a nice weekend.

Bart Monday, February 18, 2008 9:10:00 AM  

That last picture is one of the best baseball shots I've seen in awhile.

Redbeard76 Monday, February 18, 2008 9:19:00 AM  

It's hard to picture baseball with so much snow on the ground up here, but I think it's finally starting to hit me, baseball season is almost here.

Wishing I was in Florida for ST. Maybe next year.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Monday, February 18, 2008 11:21:00 AM  

I missed you :( Hope you enjoyed your bloggy break!!

Jeanne Monday, February 18, 2008 3:39:00 PM  

Oh my I'm just going to stay on this post looking at the wonder of the captain. He's a handsome man isn't he?

Anonymous,  Monday, February 18, 2008 4:48:00 PM  

Mmmmm...Jacoby...sorry that is all I have to contribute at this time. LOL

~**Dawn**~ Monday, February 18, 2008 9:19:00 PM  

Ted: I think it's proof that we were destined to become bloggy buddies!

Bart: I agree. As soon as I saw it, I knew I needed to work it into a post. There were a couple of good ones last year too that graced my desktop during Spring Training.

Redbeard: I know what you mean about not being able to comprehend the weather differences. When it's 80 & humid here, I can't even wrap my mind around sleet & snow drifts.

Brian: If you add in some bouncing around that would be exactly how I feel!

Stacy: =) I did. I didn't intend to take one but I just didn't feel the mojo the last couple of days. So I wandered the internet some & watched some tv. I knew I would get back in the groove soon!

Jeanne: Indeed. We have some serious eye candy in Boston. Lowell. Tek. Kielty. New guy, Casey. To name a few. Maybe you ought to come over to our camp... enjoy the view... ;-)

Smitty: You need to go here -- you'll thank me later. ;-)

Nichole M Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:57:00 AM  

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo freaking excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous,  Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:07:00 PM  

W.H.O.A.

That's all, just WHOA.

~**Dawn**~ Friday, February 22, 2008 2:29:00 PM  

Little Jacoby is all grown up now, huh? ;-)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP