Monday, February 18, 2008

can you tell it's Monday?

first, i need to ask: why are there still telemarketing positions? i mean, seriously. when was the last time you ever actually listened to more than 2.6 words of their spiel, let alone actaully bought whatever it was they were selling? i don't understand how this is worthwhile advertising money spent. and also? why must you torture me with going through the whole process of answering a call i will ultimately hang up on because the telemarketer is rude? (well, that & if i actually had interest in what you were peddling, i would have pursued it on my own without your aggravating phone call.)

not that i don't get the poor attitude. i would not want to call people all day long, knowing what their reaction will be. although, they could opt for a better job. just saying.

but that isn't my rant for today.

what i want to know is this:
why do i have to sprint down the hallway to answer the phone, while trying to heat my lunch, only to be greeted by someone on the other end laughing until they snort & having a wonderfully merry conversation with some fellow telemarketer? then when i say "hello" about 86 times, each "hello" sounding progressively more annoyed than the one that preceded it, they finally acknowledge that i am on the other end of the phone line. and have the audacity to be irritated with *me* for interrupting their conversation!

as if.

let me save you the trouble: telemarketing is just a waste of my time & your money. save us both a headache & just stick with poorly produced commercials on my local Bay News 9 cable channel, ok?

oh & while i'm rolling, when you don't let me politely tell you that i am not interested and you just talk over me --now with higher volume & even more obnoxiousness! hooray! -- i'm going to just hang up the phone. and when you call me right back & hang up in my ear, just to show me how it feels? i hope it made you feel better. it just made me roll my eyes at your second-grade retaliation tactics.

whew. i now return you to your regularly scheduled blogging.

9 with their own thoughts:

Jeanne Monday, February 18, 2008 3:37:00 PM  

The worse ones are the ones that ask you to hold on for an important message. They call you and then ask you to hold. WTF!?

Anonymous,  Monday, February 18, 2008 4:19:00 PM  

The internet should have put those folks out-of-business a long time ago!

Anonymous,  Monday, February 18, 2008 4:46:00 PM  

Wow, 86 hello's? I make it to the second and if I get no answer, then CLICK goes the phone. I refuse to waste my time on telemarketers (OR stupid people who call someone and then don't listen to see when I answer! GRRR!)

*krystyn* Monday, February 18, 2008 7:28:00 PM  

I can't stand telemarketers either..but what I wonder is what are the companies that use the automated telemarketing calls thinking? Do they really think I'm going to sit on the phone and listen to a recorded voice talk to me? Nope.

Lisa-tastrophies Monday, February 18, 2008 7:49:00 PM  

Ok, first. I totally miss Bay News 9. What I wouldn't give to hear the traffic report for the sunshine bridge right now.....
Back to the blog at hand. At first I tried blowing a whistle int he phone, but then realized how rude that was of me (not to mention it might actually hurt someone). Then I tried this tactic. I started making noise like I was ...uuhmmm..."busy".... "with BAD company". Like, really "BAD BAD" company ;-) Eventually just making all sorts of screaming/spanking noise that the person on the other end just hung up. Rarely do I get any repeat callers. :-)

Ted D Monday, February 18, 2008 8:45:00 PM  

I pick up the phone, and without saying a word, hang up.

I love caller ID.

gail@more than a song Monday, February 18, 2008 11:50:00 PM  

Our calls have cut down some after being on that list...but I still don't have caller id, argh! And we get plenty of political type calls or calls from organizations we've given to in the past, appparantly they're exempt on the list. So if I pick up and there's a slight pause I usually hang up (I don't usually answer though!)

kreed Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:46:00 AM  

Gotta love telemarketers! And I also love how when you hang up on them you inevitably get a call back usually sooner rather than later. I figure telemarketing must work on someone, though or it wouldn't be worth paying them to do it...aaargh!

~**Dawn**~ Friday, February 22, 2008 2:50:00 PM  

Jeanne: I have a love-hate relationships with those calls. I hate that they waste my time biut at least I can hang up without dealing with an argument or an attitude.

Smitty: I may have exaggerated a *teeny* bit on the 86 part. LOL!

Krystyn: On the other hand, they are very easy calls to end! LOL!

Lisa-tastrophies: I am trying to picture myself handling a call like that while at work! LOL!!

Ted: I love caller id. We even have it at work. But unfortunately, I can't use that tactic here. Well, I *could* but... ;-)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP