Wednesday, June 10, 2009

perspective revisited

last month, i posted about perspective. this morning, i checked out the blogs Google Reader so kindly recommended to me (i've found some real gems that way!) and one called "Starting Over at 24" caught my eye.

now i hope i don't offend any younger readers i may or may not have, but i couldn't help chuckling just a bit. starting *over* at 24?? oh sweet 20-something. you probably don't realize it--and you're probably not going to like hearing this, because i know i wouldn't have--but you can't start over when you've barely gotten started!

listen, i've been there. i know you think you've got all this life behind you already, but the fact is that if i could spend a half hour talking to Dawn v.24, the first thing i would tell her is that she's just at the beginning. she is merely *starting*. you think you've already gotten things underway, but sometimes you stall out in the start & you have to work through some sputtering before you really get going. Dawn v.24 was smack in between what would turn out to be two six-year relationships. i thought i was starting over. truly, i did. i wasn't though (which i only know in retrospect). i had really just kicked off the training wheels & was starting my wobbly maiden voyage into Life.

Dawn v.32 realizes that you *can't* be starting over before you actually start. she also knows that she likes her 30s so much better than her 20s, which is something else i would clue in v.24 on during said half hour. at 30, i actually *did* start over but it was with a new perspective. i know now that i may not be just starting but i'm also really still just barely more than baby & i have a lot of living left ahead of me, despite how much it feels i have already lived.

as one of my favorite quotes from Carrie Bradshaw in the S&TC movie says:
"Have fun, that's what your twenties are for. Your thirties are for learning the lessons and your forties? Are for paying for the drinks."

i think the pivotal point in life comes the moment you stop thinking you've lived so much & start seeing that you're nowhere near as full of life experience as you thought you were. perspective also tells me there's no way i would have believed that at 24. that's the thing about perspective, i guess. you only gain it when you have something visible in the rear view mirror.

13 with their own thoughts:

Brandi Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:18:00 AM  

So very true! You hit the nail on the head here. It *just* hit me over the past few months that I'm barely starting out myself. I've been beating myself up for "wasting" so much time on certain things (like my so-called career) up to this point in life...but now I see that all of this has just given me a starting point of reference, really. How I use this new perspective is now up to me!

Anonymous,  Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:52:00 AM  

EVER. SO. TRUE .

and that quote... lived it, breathed it, and paying for it...

Mom! Dude! Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:09:00 AM  

You are so dead on....now in looking back on it, at 24 I was merely an ovum.

*krystyn* Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:24:00 PM  

You got that right. I would do anything to be 24 again and of course, know everything I know now.

Awesome SATC quote.

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:25:00 PM  

Brandi: It's just too bad we can't gain the benefit of perspective without suffering through the lessons. ;-)

Keri: That quote is the mantra of my 30s. I cannot even tell you how much I love that movie!

Momma Moe: Things are so much clearer in that darn rear view mirror huh? Heh, ovum. Yep, that about sums it up. But I bet your v.24 self would have been chagrined to hear that, just like mine would have been!

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:28:00 PM  

K13: That is exactly it! If I only knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted so much time worrying about things that ultimately weren't worthy of the time or stress. I *knew* you would love that quote! ;-)

Helen Thursday, June 11, 2009 11:37:00 PM  

i just popped in to say congratulations on a fantastic blog - it's excellent and i intend to spend the rest of the afternoon reading through your post. It's a brilliant idea - thank you
Helen

Valerie Friday, June 12, 2009 10:25:00 AM  

I'm 24 and I couldn't agree with you more! I am a baby who's starting out this in the big bad thing called life! I want to enjoy it and have a hell-ova time. I want to travel and be selfish about time with my husband.

I agree with you in that I don't know how you "start over" at my age. I would think of it as taking a different avenue and perspective in life.

We're just starting out!!

erin Friday, June 12, 2009 10:15:00 PM  

Oh so true.

I am now curious what it will be like when I am 40. What will I look back on and want to tell my 30 year old self?

mattf Monday, June 15, 2009 2:22:00 PM  

i guess one could start over at just about any age. i agree with what you said but its all perspective. the rear view mirror has something in it the day we are born. to an adult its all trivialities, but to the child its everything.

penuttpie Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:55:00 PM  

just going through some older posts...
wow. where was this when i REALLY needed to read it? thanks for sharing this :)

~**Dawn**~ Monday, June 29, 2009 4:03:00 PM  

Giuseppina: It was right here the whole time, silly! ;-)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP