Monday, June 1, 2009

either that or a big mess.

flock of seagulls. pack of wolves. herd of cattle. pod of dolphins.

i asked the all knowing Google what you call a group of armadillos and reached the conclusion that they don't have a "special name" for armadillos. i think it ought to be an army. not that i have any authority over such things. just sayin'.

i had a point.

last week, i was privileged to witness a group of four baby armadillos (armadillo? armadilli?) out on the prowl for grubs or roots or whatever it is armadillos dig eighty gadzillion holes all over the yard looking for. (i didn't Google that to find out. i was afraid i would see a photo of a grub & that? i can do without.) since i don't own the yard in question, instead of freaking out over the hole-digging, i got out my camera.







there are a bunch more (mostly of their little rear ends & tails since their faces are in the dirt) but you get the idea. i wanted to be horrified by the damage they were causing but i was too fascinated. they were so engrossed in what they were doing--either that or too young to have any fear of humans--that they didn't even pay attention to me & my camera.

15 with their own thoughts:

LB @Wait, She Said What? Monday, June 01, 2009 11:56:00 AM  

Great pics! I've only seen one armadillo in my life and it was years ago on vacation in Florida. For whatever reason, they look fake to me! HAHA! I know that's crazy but they don't look real. They appear plastic or something. I don't know why I think such odd things.

I love watching wild animals just doing their thing though. We have groundhogs (aka woodchucks) here and I think they're very amusing. Most people hate them but I think they're fun to watch.

~**Dawn**~ Monday, June 01, 2009 12:05:00 PM  

LB: They are such a novelty to me too. I had been living down here for almost three years before I saw my first one. They are so strange!

WarriorHeartGypsySoul Monday, June 01, 2009 1:53:00 PM  

like the pics. they are oddly adorable little buggers.

~**Dawn**~ Monday, June 01, 2009 2:01:00 PM  

KekeLynn: Their little faces are so inquisitive looking, I think. For some reason they remind of a pig crossed with a possum, wearing a suit of armor.

Mr. Wesley Allison Monday, June 01, 2009 2:29:00 PM  

I agree. It should be army. I thought about platoon or battalion, but I think the alliteration works.

I few years ago, when we were visiting Oklahoma, my wife made me stop the car so she could get out and touch an armadillo.

andie Monday, June 01, 2009 3:35:00 PM  

a gaggle of geese...i've never seen a live armadillo. for real!!! only dead ones on the side of the road

Nichole M Monday, June 01, 2009 8:06:00 PM  

They're so strange looking! Prehistoric, actually!

kreed Monday, June 01, 2009 9:17:00 PM  

Love these pictures! I usually only see the squished roadside versions of armadillos while travelling so it is cool to see some active little ones!

And I was excited to see your new header picture...that is where we stayed when we were at Disney last October!

*krystyn* Tuesday, June 02, 2009 10:51:00 AM  

they ARE so cute!!!

ha! my word verification is: undig

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, June 03, 2009 7:36:00 PM  

Kristi: They fascinate me! They aren't like anything else!

Wesley: It didn't run (ok, quickly waddle) away?? The fully grown ones seem to be very shy! At least the ones I've been around.

Andie: LOL!! Gaggle. Some words just make me laugh. I definitely see more dead ones than lives ones. Do you have them in Texas?

Nichole: They really do! I never even thought of that before.

Kreed: I've not only sen the squished ones, I actually hit one once. I felt really bad but he was trying to cross a road with a 60mph speed limit. There was no way for me to stop & he panicked, running right into my car. It made a horrible sound. I thought for sure he must have damaged my car but he didn't. I *much* prefer the live versions. You stayed at the Yacht Club?? I am *so* jealous! It's on my list of hotels I would love to stay at someday. That sand bottom pool is so cool!! Did you guys get to spend any time in it?

K: I love their little ears & their faces look so inquisitive. Ha!! That was a post-appropriate verification indeed!

Janet: You should seem them waddle around. They are so funny!

kreed Wednesday, June 03, 2009 8:31:00 PM  

Dawn-

We actually stayed at the Beach Club...I just saw the boat and knew we had been there! Other side, though, I guess! We did hang out in the pool and they lazy river. Very relaxing and very cool to have the sand between your toes in a pool!

Kara

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:43:00 PM  

Kara: Ha! No worries, they technically share a space. ;-) And you know what a Disney-phile I am--I had to thnk up a trick to remember which was the Beach Club & which was the Yacht Club! The Beach Club is blue: both Bs! I love them both though. The Boardwalk is one of my favorite places!

Carrie Friday, June 05, 2009 11:55:00 AM  

Awwww, that is really cute! I'd think army too. Maybe it's their "armor". :)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP