Friday, June 26, 2009

what a pain.

i have no idea what on earth i did, but around 7pm last night, my shoulders started to feel tight. i rolled them a bit & tried to stretch them out but nothing doing. as the evening progressed, it started to hurt if i turned my head too quickly or when i tried to push from a reclined position to sitting up. i tried taking some Advil at that point, but nothing seemed to help. by the time i went to bed, it hurt just to move.

it wasn't in my neck at all, or in my back either--turning my head or twisting my back only hurt specifically in my shoulder area. just a wicked feeling of tightness, right along my shoulder blades. the place where i typically carry my tension, but i haven't been stressed at all lately. and it wasn't giving me a headache or traveling up into my neck or anything, as typically happens when my stress level manifests itself as pain my shoulders. strange.

i finally got myself into bed, at which point began the dilemma of how to get comfortable enough to sleep. my usual pillow arrangement--laying on my side with my arm under the pillow--was *not* a good option. flat on the bed didn't work. propped up hurt. and to make matters worse, every time i moved in an attempt to find a position that would lend itself to sleep, *that* hurt too.

i must have finally managed to get into a semi-comfortable position, because the next thing i knew, i was waking up an hour after i'd last seen the time. i had woken myself up by moving in my sleep. which i proceeded to do all.night.long. thankfully, i was able to fall asleep again almost instantly each time--it seemed to be just the actual moving that would wake me for a moment, but as soon as i stopped moving, it stopped hurting & i was able to sleep right away again. which is good. at least i didn't wake up this morning feeling tired.

when i got up this morning, they were still sore. not quite as bad as last night since i am able to at least move without wincing. a hot shower seemed to help a bit, but the effects are starting to wear off now. i guess i will try some Advil again & hope it works this time.

i still have no clue what caused it but i will tell you this: you have no idea how many quick movements you make or how many times you turn your head & upper body while you drive...until it hurts & you feel every single one of them.

7 with their own thoughts:

f8hasit Friday, June 26, 2009 10:04:00 AM  

I had a similar experience on Wednesday. I was feeling rather good having had a day of "ME" time. Manicure, pedicure, hair cut AND color, mind you...and I thought, "Hey let's use this gift certificate to Lakewood Masotherapy!"
A massage. Perfect way to end the perfect afternoon. Looking forward to the zen drool...
But aparently I shoukd've stopped after the hair cut. The deep tissue massage left me bruised and my shoulders are still tender today!

I may be walking slumped for a few days, but my hair, nails and toes look fantastic.

:-)

Hope you get peaceful rest tonight!

Pat Friday, June 26, 2009 10:36:00 AM  

I hate when all of a sudden a part of my body starts hurting and I rack my brain trying to figure out how I hurt it! Or I wake up with an achy shoulder, arm, wrist, etc., and think maybe I slept "funny" on it or something! Wait to you get my age - this happens more and more frequently! LOL!

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle Friday, June 26, 2009 10:41:00 AM  

Ouch! I've been there done that. Maybe some heat would help.

Hope it gets better soon!

Fidgeting Gidget Friday, June 26, 2009 10:59:00 AM  

OUCH. That's where I tend to carry my tension, too. I hope that it loosens up soon....try some IcyHot, that seems to help me.

JW.BW Friday, June 26, 2009 1:35:00 PM  

Arnica gel is the best thing EVER for sore muscles and bruises. Its all natural and not stinky or stingy like icyhot. You can get it at GNC. Great thing to have around!!! Promise!!

*krystyn* Saturday, June 27, 2009 9:04:00 AM  

Ouch!!! I didn't know you didn't do massages...that might be just the thing you need too!!

Brandi Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:34:00 PM  

I hope you're feeling much better by now!

I can relate ~ that's exactly where I carry my stress. In fact, I just connected the dots with my chiropractor and found that when my muscle tension in my shoulders gets out of control, the muscles pull on my Atlas (base of skull where neck starts) and pulls me out of alignment. Scary!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP