Monday, June 22, 2009

home sweet home.

i am a homebody.

don't get me wrong. i like to go out for an occasional dinner or to see a movie. i enjoy spending a day at WDW or an evening at a baseball game. i like to travel from time to time.

but mostly? i like to be at home. i don't mind eating a home-cooked meal most nights. i am just as happy watching the Sox game as i am doing anything else. and when there isn't one on, i can mess around online, read a book, flip through a magazine. even doing housework doesn't bother me--after all, it's not like i leave a path of destruction in my wake!

i don't get "the itch" where i really *need* to get out of the house that often. i rarely find myself bored or stir crazy. it fascinates me how many people are constantly on the go, to the point that it seems they are *never* home, because i am so not like that. i much prefer a lot of down time with other plans sprinkled in than the reverse. it actually makes me tired & irritable if i don't get enough time to recharge between plans, events, trips, things that take me away from home. i can tell when i haven't had enough time at home, because i feel tense, overwhelmed & just plain burned out.

my home is my sanctuary. my refuge. my place to relax & be at peace. i'll take my calm, laid back life (though i am sure some would find it dull) over running myself ragged any day.

13 with their own thoughts:

*krystyn* Monday, June 22, 2009 3:06:00 PM  

i wish I felt the same way. i used to.

~**Dawn**~ Monday, June 22, 2009 3:09:00 PM  

K: You have a much different set of circumstances that I can still relate to, though. It's very different when your home is *not* your peaceful escape from the rest of the world, but rather somewhere from which you wish to escape. (((HUGS))) There was a long time that I wanted to be anywhere but home. Not because I wasn't a homebody but because being there was even more exhausting than being constantly on the go, even though it goes against my very nature.

Fidgeting Gidget Monday, June 22, 2009 3:09:00 PM  

Well said....I wish I could be that way. I normally am, during the week, but since we live so far from everyone in our family and most of our close friends, the weekends cancel it out because we're often in the car for 10-16 hours. If I could get back to the U.S. and not be living in a townhouse in Canada, maybe home would feel like HOME.

~**Dawn**~ Monday, June 22, 2009 3:16:00 PM  

Fidgeting Gidget: It's hard when home doesn't feel like home yet. I moved 1200 miles (from Connecticut to Florida) a little over seven years ago, and it feels like it will never be home. It took me a long time to feel it was really *home* and not just a building in which I was staying.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Monday, June 22, 2009 3:42:00 PM  

More proof that we are kindred spirits, Dawn :) I am a homebody through and through. I could have written a lot of this, especially about feeling tense and out of sorts if I haven't been at home much. I always need that time to not only get things done around the house, but to just revel in being in my home, and feel that comfort and security. :)

Great post!

JW.BW Monday, June 22, 2009 5:06:00 PM  

I totally agree with you!! Home is by far my favorite place on earth. I am so desperate to get back home some days I just go CRAZY!!! But, it wont be long and I will be home for good. Our couch with my husband is the best!! We cook breakfast every morning and dinner every night when I'm home. We dont do anything except just enjoy each other's company.

Jessi

Ted D Monday, June 22, 2009 5:21:00 PM  

Dawn, even though my house is a three ring circus I'm right there with you. I love being at home watching the Sox, playing with my kids, surfing the web... I don't mind going out, but like you I'd rather they be interspersed with my normal schedule and not the other way around.

Anonymous,  Monday, June 22, 2009 10:23:00 PM  

I am attempting to make this little house/apt/cottage thingie home and I am trying to stay put. While I may not be in the house that much these days, trying to reconnect with my home town(see my other blog, www.tucsonagain.blogspot.com), and most of my family and friends has me on the go almost every other day. I am trying to calm my traveling down since I have left the Middle East. Hope it works!!!

Unknown Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:00:00 AM  

Wow...Home..
Been here in Florida for 4 years now.
With all the upheaval in my life now I don't know where home is.... have been having a lot of flash backs of Connecticut lately, even your new header reminds me of Mystic Sea port.

Perhaps its time to move on....

Valerie Tuesday, June 23, 2009 4:29:00 PM  

Just spending at day at WDW huh? Season pass?

Brandi Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:45:00 PM  

I am so with you! I am - and have always been - a homebody at heart. This is why hectic work stuff and business travel are such a huge deal for me. Being away from my home just puts me so far out of my element. I don't like it.

Like I've said before: you're a wise woman! :)

kreed Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:05:00 AM  

I wish I was home more...I tend to run and run and keep myself way overbooked. I do keep myself very busy when I am jome, though and have never understood people who just can't be at home because they get too "bored"!

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:56:00 PM  

Stacy: I *knew* you would get it! ;-)

JW.BW: Bet you wish you could just click your heels & say "there's no place like home..."

Ted: Be it ever so humble (or would that be HUMBLING? LOL) there's no place like home! ;-)

Lulu: I would have to put my foot down & make myself unavailable every so often or I would not even be able to enjoy myself when I went out exploring. I just cannot go at that pace for very long.

Marc: This feels like home to me now. And every time I visit Connecticut now, it reinforces that for me.

Mrs C: I sure do! It's one of the two splurges I make every year. My Annual Pass and tickets to see the Red Sox when they come to Tampa. =)

Brandi: That is *exactly* how I feel about it. To the letter.

Kreed: How do you keep up at that pace?? I have to draw a line or I would be a mean nasty raving lunatic! LOL

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP