Monday, April 2, 2007

the tangled web of a random thought

it all started yesterday when birch beer popped into my head.

this happens. things pop into my head with *zero* warning or connection to anything.

anyway. birch beer.

it was one of those things, growing up, that i loved. i haven't had it in *years* & people always think i am crazy when i mention birch beer. like i made it up or something. (leave it to Daniel to know what i am talking about though! i believe his text reply to my birch beer inquiry was: "You know about birch beer?!?!?")

anyway, that got me thinking about the sodas we used to have when i was a kid. usually not the normal stuff everyone has. we had our share of orange, and root beer, and ginger ale. but we also had fun stuff, like birch beer. and sasparilla. and one of my personal favorites: cream soda. mmmm...

thinking of cream soda got me off on another tangent. The Pop Shoppe. i loved their soda. it was so much fun! the glass bottles with the red & white logo. filled with all sorts of fun flavors. and the red plastic crates. and the novelty of returning your empty bottle to the crate to go back to the store. this was a treat. the only times we got Pop Shoppe soda were at church picnics. and my Uncle Will & Aunt El's house on Christmas Eve.

those were the best Christmas parties...

wait a second. Christmas?? it's almost Easter!

and welcome to the way i think.
=P

6 with their own thoughts:

Bart Monday, April 02, 2007 12:38:00 PM  

A&W makes a decent cream soda, as does Stewart's.

As for birch beer, you can still find it in some restaurants. Pizza Hut had it as of a few years ago, but it's been a few years since I've even been inside a PH.

Chele76 Monday, April 02, 2007 2:37:00 PM  

yes yes YES yes yes! I used to LOVE going to the POP shoppe! That was the coolest ever!!!! Walking around all those red plastic cases, random sticky spots on the floor... seeing the DOZENS of flavors. Mom's favorite was birch beer too. It is quite good! I liked pretty much ALL of it... heck what 7 year old kid does not want to wrap their sticky hands around as much soda as possible!!!!

I think lemon lime was a favorite of mine, but then again it was probably because it was neon green! lol

Bart Monday, April 02, 2007 4:40:00 PM  

I got sick after visiting the Coca Cola factory in Atlanta as a teenager. True story.

Anonymous,  Monday, April 02, 2007 7:59:00 PM  

I was skeptical at first, but birch beer is great! Distant second to sasparilla, though... original drink of the wild, wild west!!! I remember having a glass at a saloon in a preserved old mining town. then I panned for gold! :-)

Heather Tuesday, April 03, 2007 2:57:00 PM  

2 points:
1) I LOVE BIRCH BEER
2) I LOVED THE POP SHOPPE (the good old days of Bristol CT)

JAM Wednesday, April 04, 2007 11:45:00 AM  

I've never heard of birch beer. But I love me some creme soda. My favorite is Barq's French Vanilla Creme soda, and when I can find it, their diet F.V. creme soda is fantastic. Hard to find now though. A&W is a good second choice on the creme soda.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP