Friday, November 9, 2007

we take our sunshine seriously here in The Sunshine State, don't ya know

the other day, i admitted to being curious about the unveiling of the "new" Tampa baseball team. they are no longer the Devil Rays, but the Rays. not the sea creature though. rays. as in, catchin' some. you know... "ok fans, give it up for your Tampa Bay Sunbeams!!" yep, the Tampa Bay Rays. and i was worried i would be losing my chance to poke fun at them... ::snicker::

so... instead of "sting 'em Rays," the new chant will be "burn 'em Rays," do ya think?

i am sad to announce that they gave up their dorky vest-style jerseys when they traded in teal & grey for navy blue & white with powder blue accents. well, mostly sad. those vest tops are vile. they really ought to be banned entirely. it just means I have one less piece of ammunition for making fun of them now that they're gone, that's all.

i do think that it is pretty cool that they aren't completely disowning their (ten year) team heritage though. the new jerseys will sport a patch of a Ray (of the aquatic variety) on the sleeve.


other changes not yet revealed will take place at The Trop, including a new & improved Raymond the Unidentifiable Mascot. i am not sure if this means he will be some new creation of beast or if he'll just get a new wardrobe. i'm almost a little sad about the thought that he might be traded in for something different. as freakish as Raymond was in all his hairy blue glory, his antics were very amusing. we're probably going to get stuck with a pair of walking sunglasses now or something. and by "we," i mean the fans that attend to see the visiting team. ;-)

unfortunately my one wish didn't come true: i can't seem to find any mention whatsoever that they are replacing the tv broadcast crew. ::sigh::

7 with their own thoughts:

Reverend Ref + Friday, November 09, 2007 2:26:00 PM  

Is it just me . . .

Tampa couldn't steal the Mariners away from Seattle, so now it appears that they've swiped their uniform look.

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2256870&cp=1452366.1452889.706213


Hmmm .... whatcha think?

Ted D Friday, November 09, 2007 9:34:00 PM  

Dawn,

Let's give 'em a call and tell them you, me, and a chimp want to call the games: there is no doubt in my mind we'd wipe the floor with the guys they have. The chimp could take the place of the "guy with the radio voice" who does the in the stands stuff.

Ingrid Friday, November 09, 2007 9:34:00 PM  

I think they should call in the Raisin Bran Sun as a mascot. The uniforms are definitely an improvement though.

Anonymous,  Friday, November 09, 2007 10:06:00 PM  

LOL!!!! Rasin Bran Sun! I was going to suggest a sun mascot and only then did I realize that the picture in my head was that one!!

Really, is the "Rays" really more of a basketball team name? Like the Suns, Jazz, or Heat? I mean *seriously*.

~**Dawn**~ Saturday, November 10, 2007 10:02:00 PM  

Rev Ref: I knew I felt like I'd seen this uniform somewhere before!

Ted: But do you think they would be ok with me poking fun at the team through the whole game? I certainly couldn't be accused of being a homer... =P

Ingrid: LOL!!! That would be pretty funny!

Nichole: I have no clue why they think this is a good baseball name. Of course I don't have any better suggestions either...

jenny Sunday, November 11, 2007 9:51:00 AM  

At least they're not putting any money into upgrading the folding chair bullpen. Because that? Would be foolish.

The fans'll be singing "I'm mister heat miser, I'm mister sun". It'll be cute. *smirks*

~**Dawn**~ Sunday, November 11, 2007 9:43:00 PM  

OMG Jenny, I am laughing so hard at your comment...

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP