Thursday, November 15, 2007

embracing my inner dork

we never really leave high school, do we?

it's kind of funny what led me to this post. i joked about it the other day, when i said that there are blogs i visit that i never comment on, because i feel all awkward. like it's high school. when all anyone really wanted was to fit in. but it didn't stop there.

the thing is, it keeps following me around, in a variation of themes.

it was here, on Sarcomical. and then i ran into it again, over here on PeterDeWolf.com. and now it was the central theme of Grey's tonight.

how we never really get past it. we grow up. we're supposed to put all that insecurity behind us, acquire confidence with each passing year. but the more i read, watch, observe... i don't believe we entirely leave behind those four years when we collect our diploma & head out to be adults. we might get a little better at hiding it. we might even successfully shake it off some of the time. but it lurks there. just a little bit. i'm convinced of it. if we *really* shed our insecure adolescent selves, it wouldn't surface all over the place. we wouldn't all still show it.

what i think is the most interesting part is seeing that the people who make me feel all inadequate & foolish, like i'm just pretending i can hang with the cool kids, they feel just as ridiculous as i do. the one thing i don't think occurs to us when we're in high school is that everyone feels that way sometimes. we spend four years feeling like the only dork in the world when everyone else seems to fit in without trying. and that inner dork resurfaces even when we're supposed to have left it behind. because really. does it get much more "high school insecure" than to feel shy leaving a comment (that is still pretty anonymous even when you use your "name") on a stranger's corner of the internet?

so like i said, we never really completely leave high school. we all want to be liked by someone who makes us feel a little like we never finished being fifteen. but the coolest part is that when we grow up, we realize that we're all on the same page. makes it just a little easier to "suck up my inner dork" and just say hi. after all, i look at all the really cool people i've met, people i wouldn't have thought would think i was kinda cool too, and realize i have more confidence than i give myself credit for. and that maybe being real, acknowledging our dorkiness, just makes us a little bit more approachable.

4 with their own thoughts:

Anonymous,  Friday, November 16, 2007 11:21:00 AM  

I'm not afraid to embrace my inner (and outer LOL) dork. I'm so different than I was in high school...I am more personable (i.e. less mouse-y) and i Have so much more self confidence than I did back then...yet I TOTALLY get this post! I don't think we ever truely (how the hell do you spell that word?) shed that feeling. But it makes us human! We all want to be liked. :-)

~**Dawn**~ Friday, November 16, 2007 11:24:00 AM  

I was the exact same way in high school. I think I said about eight words my entire freshman year! LOL! I've definitely got a lot more confidence now than I did then, but that little high schooler still lives inside. The difference is now I will actually speak up even if I feel like a dork. =P

April Sunday, November 18, 2007 8:58:00 PM  

We're all a bunch of big dorks!! LOL. I didn't talk to anyone in high school - except like four people...I have had no desire to go to any reunion because frankly, I didn't like those people then why would I want to spend time with them now, when I can be with people I know love and like me, without the comparisons of what I used to be - but now that you've posted this - maybe, just maybe I would like them now.... but life does sometimes feel like a big high school popularity contest and it really starts to tick me off. LOL. I called someone a dummy - how much of a dork can you be??!!??

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:12:00 AM  

April: I haven't gone to any of mine either. The people I want to talk to from high school, I still do! And honestly, no one else would even recognize me. I've gone back to my hometown a few times since moving to Florida, and when I run into people, they are usually shocked when they realize who I am!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP