Sunday, January 14, 2007

celebrate, we will

Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson was asked if he was angry about the Patriots' celebration after the game.
"I would never, ever react in that way," he said. "You guys know me, I'm a very classy person. I wouldn't have reacted like that, so yes, I was upset. Very upset. When you go to the middle of our field and you start doing the dance that Shawne Merriman is known for, that's disrespectful to me and I can't sit there and watch that. And so yeah, I was very upset. And just the fact the way they showed no class at all, absolutely no class, and maybe it comes from the head coach. There you have it."
(Reiss' Pieces)

wow. just... wow. indulge me, if you will. let me just muse out loud on this for a minute. i know LT is upset. he has every right to be. but if he had just won a heart-stopping, nail-biter of a game that he had all but lost until the very last minutes, i would be willing to be he'd be celebrating with some major jumping & dancing & merriment of his own. and i am certain he wouldn't be taking the feelings of the his opponent into consideration. what's more, if Merriman didn't taunt *us* with his lights out dance, we'd have nothing to throw back at him when he didn't send us home, weeping & gnashing our teeth.

one last thing, Mr Tomlinson. i have a lot of respect for your talent. you still scare the pants off me, even though your team is one-and-done. but i think you shot your "i'm a very classy person" claim right straight to hell with that last parting remark aimed at Bill Belichick. hello pot, this is the kettle.

3 with their own thoughts:

Anonymous,  Monday, January 15, 2007 10:13:00 AM  

All this "annoyance" or whatever you wanna call it over their debatably early celebration is something I've never understood about football. The clock is still running, people. That means the game *isn't* over. But everyone does it... celebrate before it reaches zero, right? And then when you lose, you complain about the winners. Don't get that about football.

~**Dawn**~ Monday, January 15, 2007 10:22:00 AM  

That's the thing. The game was by all rights over because there was more time on the play clock (the clock that determines how long the offense has to get the ball into play before they take a delay of game penalty) than there was on the game clock. All the Patriots had to do was stand there & hold the ball & let time run out. I agree that the Patriots shouldn't have been in the middle of the field, taunting. I hate that & they normally don't act that way. But I also think the Chargers need to stop being babies, because they surely would have celebrated if *they* had won the game. And all week they talked trash & planned their trip to the Super Bowl, never even acting like yesterday's game was even a question. In essence, they did their celebrating & taunting all week, before the game was even played. I really hate it most when a team or a player can dish it out but can't take it in return.

Anonymous,  Monday, January 15, 2007 2:30:00 PM  

OK, let me get this straight. Merriman does his idiotic dance, and that's OK, but when the opposing team does it back at him, that's somehow classless?

Frankly, I think there's a lot of classless behavior in football, period. This inane dancing and jumping and chest-bumping -- come on, guys, save it for when something spectacular's been done, not like, um, after every single freaking play. And the dances? Those just need to stop, period. Most of them remind me of Ross and Rachel's New Year's Eve dancing, or worse -- Elaine with the kicking, and the thumbs.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP