Tuesday, May 19, 2009

sometimes i wish...

...i'd had the "typical" college experience, living on campus, making new friends & lots of memories--instead of living at home, working full time to put myself through school & cramming a very full course load into the remainder of my time, leaving me very little time in which to enjoy the last of my young-adulthood. however i treasure my education & the responsibility it taught because i own it completely.

...i had a real mother-daughter relationship. although i wouldn't trade the closeness i shared with my Gram for *anything* in the world.

...i wasn't the last one of my friends unmarried & childfree. but i certainly don't regret *not* proceeding to those levels in the past.

...all of my friends could be local. even though i wouldn't have the fun of going to visit them & see new places.

...i had asked more questions of my grandparents, taken more photos, recorded more memories. i'm making a point to do that now.

...i hadn't taken the path i did to get where i am. but i *like* the person i have become as a result.

...i lived somewhere with four seasons. of course then i would miss Disney World and orange blossoms.

sometimes i wish.

but mostly i am just grateful for all that i have been blessed with. because what i *do* have is so very very good.

5 with their own thoughts:

kreed Wednesday, May 20, 2009 12:36:00 AM  

Thanks for sharing your wishes. I am so thankful for how my life has turned out but I have some wishes, too. It seems such a shame that you can't take two paths to get to the same place...

Brandi Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:41:00 AM  

You have such a great attitude! :)

And I am completely with you on the first paragraph. In fact, I almost wrote those exact words the other day!! I think about it a lot, and quite honestly if I ever have a child and s/he wanted to go the college route, I think I would highly recommend the traditional college experience just because I feel like I missed out on a lot by not doing it!

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:02:00 AM  

kreed: I guess having wishes without regretting your current life is the way it goes for most of us, huh? Maybe it makes us appreciate more what we do have. =)

Brandi: I am so torn on it! I think it's something not to be missed out on if at all possible...but on the other hand, I think "owning" your own education really makes you work & commit to it so much harder because it's *your* money. Truly your own investment--which I know has served me well. I wonder if it's possible to have both...

Mom! Dude! Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:27:00 AM  

Sounds like your head is in a good place now!

ariadne Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:19:00 PM  

I really admire that you are able to recognize all that you have *alongside* things you wish you could've had. Because -- and I'm sure you understand this -- if one thing in your life had been different, it's virtually impossible that you would be where you are now. Which isn't exactly to say that everything has a meaning, but which *is* to say that there is a value that can be found, even if in retrospect, in everything.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP