song of the day: "I Finally Found Someone", Bryan Adams & Barbara Streisand
quote of the day: "Falling in love with someone isn't always going to be easy... Anger... tears... laughter.. It's when you want to be together despite it all. That's when you truly love another. I'm sure of it." (unknown)
Thursday, March 30, 2006
song of the day: "I Finally Found Someone", Bryan Adams & Barbara Streisand
...but i have a 1200 mile buffer. ;-)
Happy Birthday Bro!!
(taken on or about his 10th birthday...17 some-odd years ago)
if you choose to call my place of employment & give me a wiseass answer when i ask you where you are calling from before transferring your call, rest assured that you will get dumped unceremoniously into voicemail. every. single. time. and yes i have caller id on this phone so i won't even bother answering when you hang up on the voicemail & call right back--i'll just transfer you immediately back to the same voicemail box as many times as is required for you get the hint.
Wednesday, March 29, 2006
from Ten on Tuesday
10 Things That People Do That Annoy You
1. not use their turn signals, even in high traffic situations
2. interrupt me when i am on the phone
3. hang up when i answer the phone because they can't be bothered to say "sorry, wrong number"
4. dig through my desk--while i am sitting at it!!
5. disrespect other's opinions--both their right to have those opinions & their right to express them--while conversely trying to force their own opinions on everyone else like theirs is the only way to see something
6. block an entire grocery aisle while they have a completely unrelated conversation & then get mad when you dare to say "excuse me"
7. be cranky at Disney World
8. act fake
9. chew their nails--i HATE that sound! *shudder*
10. let their child walk around all the time with a pacifier in his/her mouth when the child is old enough to carry on a complete conversation with said pacifier between their teeth. i would never tell anyone how to raise their child...but a pacifier on a child that old just annoys me.
so this weekend when i slept pretty much for 21 hours, i was wide awake on Saturday night & saw the movie "The Wedding Date" (with Debra Messing & Dermott Mulrooney) for the first time. not a highly intellectual movie, but a really romantic, feel-good chick flick. how come no one ever told me i needed to see this movie??
song of the day: "She Don't Tell Me To", Montgomery Gentry
quote of the day: "When you kiss me, without uttering a single word, you speak to my soul" (unknown)
the mens AND ladies Huskies have been eliminated from the NCAA basketball tournements.
and *that* my friends exceeds my capacity for discussing basketball of any sort.
Tuesday, March 28, 2006
isn't it funny what will trigger a memory? my friend Nichole talked about the mail today. suddenly i was flashing on my grandparents' property...one of my childhood homes. i could see it like i was standing there. the white 2-story house. the long driveway, bumpy & full of character. if i concentrate hard enough, i can almost feel the familiar sway of the car riding over the places where time had settled or raised the asphalt. there were two tall stately evergreen trees in front of the house, sentinels standing guard, providing protection from the elements & ensuring privacy. and at the end of the driveway was the black metal mailbox with the bright red flag sitting atop the wooden post.
i remember all these snippets. my grandmother's vibrantly hued flower beds. the snowball bushes with their fluffy round puffs. the big flat rock in the yard just beyond the veranda. happy times. happy places. a thousand memories. sweet. precious. etched as deeply in my soul as the two people who lived & loved there for 61 years.
just like that i go back to a place i haven't been for years. all triggered by the random thoughts of a friend.
Are you more...
01) A harsher critic of others or a harsher critic of yourself? of myself by far
02) One who thinks stealing is the bigger sin or one who thinks lying is the bigger sin? well in the sense that sometimes we "white lie" to protect someone's feelings...i guess i will have to go with stealing...
03) Fond of crayons for colouring or fond of paint for colouring? crayons
04) Someone who thinks they have all the tools they could need or someone who thinks you barely have the minimum number of tools to get by? isn't there always something else we need?
05) McDonald's or Burger King? McDonald's--it's the fries that win
06) Obsessive compulsive or whatever happens, happens? depends on the situation
07) One who enjoys the company of small children (playing with blocks) or one who enjoys the company of senior citizens (playing bridge)? small children--that *is* what i spent all that money on school for after all
08) Someone who will vacuum-seal food before putting it in the freezer or someone who will just put it in the freezer? just put in there--doesn't stay there that long anyway
09) More proud of your belches or more proud of your flatulence? i find them all equally horrifying
10) Possessed of a soothing voice or possessed or an order-barking voice? soothing--i prefer to be soft-spoken
I say ... and you think ... ?
Glass castle:: don't throw stones
song of the day: "What Mattered Most", Ty Herndon
quote of the day: "A new baby is like the beginning of all things-wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."(Eda J. Le Shan) -- in honor of the arrival of a friend's son today. welcome to the world Baby Boy. =)
Monday, March 27, 2006
song of the day: "Right Here Waiting", Richard Marx
quote of the day: "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another 'What! You too? Thought I was the only one.'" (c.s. lewis)
Would the Patriots give up a fourth-round pick for receiver Eric Moulds?
* Count the Houston Texans among the teams interested in trading for Buffalo receiver Eric Moulds, according to the Houston Chronicle. According to the report, the Patriots are also interested and the Chronicle reports the Bills are asking for a fourth-round draft choice.
if anyone can get through to Bill Belichick, please tell him he needs to not let *this* opportunity pass him by too!!
Sunday, March 26, 2006
song of the day: "Covered in Rain", John Mayer
quote of the day: "Eventually you will come to understand that love heals everything, and love is all there is." (Gary Zuvak)
Saturday, March 25, 2006
song of the day: "Satellite", Dave Matthews Band
quote of the day: "Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering." (Winnie the Pooh)
Friday, March 24, 2006
have you seen the previews for The Shaggy Dog (Tim Allen's new movie)? the scene in the elevator where he lets his tongue roll out of his mouth? gives me a case of the heebie jeebies big time. NASTY.
song of the day: "Come a Little Closer", Dierks Bentley
quote of the day: Pure love is a willingness to give without a thought of receiving anything in return. (Peace Pilgrim)
Thursday, March 23, 2006
...suggested that his decision to leave the three-time Super Bowl champs was about wins and losses. “Leaving New England was tough in the sense that I have many, many great memories there,” Vinatieri said. “But the Indianapolis Colts organization is a great organization, a winning organization..." (PatsBlog)
he does know that he is talking about the Indianapolis Colts right? the team that has Peyton Manning QB-ing for them? the team that can't get to the Super Bowl even when they have a virtually unbeatable season? i am quite confused. maybe he has mental images of grandeur, of helping them by being the last piece they need to finally go all the way. i think if that's the case, he is delusional. maybe he forgot that they are NOT the same team anymore since their running back signed with Arizona? Peyton was better last year because he threw the ball so much less--does anyone other than me remember this? and with less running power, Peyton will have to throw more. and when Peyton throws more, he throws more interceptions. all the clutch kicking in the world won't help you if your team turns the ball over.
song of the day: "In Your Eyes", Peter Gabriel
quote of the day: "The eyes shout what the lips fear to say." (William Henry)
Wednesday, March 22, 2006
opening day for baseball is about 2 weeks away. i've remained almost silent about the upcoming season ever since the defector showed his true pinstripes. i've watched the roster dwindle & the Epstein drama come full circle. i was amazed & disappointed by the Mirabelli decision. i guess i've gotten discouraged by some of the things i've seen. but i can't ignore it for much longer because pretty soon it will be time to PLAY BALL.
Nichole has been chomping at the bit for me to get to this anyway so i guess i'll dive in...
i was looking at the Red Sox depth chart earlier today. it's so...different this year. so many unfamiliar names...
i am relieved that Varitek is still catching. not sure about this new guy, Bard. i hope he's comfortable catching Wake. we know that Varitek sure isn't. there are some other familiar faces left too. ones that also help to ease the uncertainty i feel going into this season. Big Papi. Trot Nixon. Manny. (oh Lord...can you believe Manny is actually easing my mind?? now i'm actually a little scared lol...)
i'm feeling ok about Coco Crisp (other than his name which i will likely never say without laughing...)--i've been reassured by another Red Sox fan that he is comparable to The Traitor with bat in hand & that in the field, he's young & will only improve, maybe even outshine his predecessor.
on the infield there's Kevin Youkilis (1B) who has been a Red Sox player his whole pro career (all 2 years of it). couldn't figure out why i didn't know the name. turns out he only played 44 games last year & 72 the year before. looks like they bounced him around a bit on defense. he hits ok. he's young. we'll see i suppose...
the remainder of the infield is comprised of new faces in Boston. Mark Loretta (2B) from the Padres: i checked him out--respectable & reliable in the field it seems; actually somewhat impressive at the plate. Alex Gonzalez (SS) & Mike Lowell (3B) both from the Marlins seem ok. Gonzalez doesn't have numbers that "wow" me but he can't be any bigger a let down than Renteria was last year right? and Lowell had a rough season in 2005 but if he can bounce back, he's a solid acquisition on both sides of the ball. and if the newest investment of Juan Gonzalez pans out & they bring him up to Boston, a batting line-up of Gonzalez-Ramirez-Ortiz (in any order really) has the potential to be intimidating--tough to pitch around that. hmmmm...maybe this isn't as bleak as i was thinking...
that brings me to my thoughts on pitching. which was a nightmare of huge proportion last season. so frustrating. so disappointing...
at the moment the rotation appears to be set as Schilling, Beckett, Wells, Clement, Wakefield, Papelbon. i'm actually pretty happy with the starters. Schilling is the man if he's healthy--we've seen it before. i like Josh Beckett--i think he'll be a strong #2 man in the rotation. Wells & Clement are decent. i always liked Tim Wakefield. and i think Papelbon has a lot of promise. i'm sorry to see Arroyo go. especially for an outfielder whose stats are mediocre as far as i'm concerned. it seems much wiser to keep a good pitcher on hand--in Boston i almost feel it's inevitable that the rotation won't make a whole season healthy. it looks good as is but i really feel like one injury & the pitching is going to find itself unstable. Arroyo would have helped balance things in my opinion, add a little more security. but *shrug* what do i know huh? and the bullpen...always makes me nervous. i feel like we never really know what we're getting there. maybe they can prove themselves to me this year. (ha! like that's high on their list of priorities for 2006 huh?) we will see what we shall see.
but i'm sticking with this updatedprediction: maybe this year will turn out better than i thought it might.
in other amusing news:
Posada suffers broken nose in today's game against the Red Sox--i know it's mean to laugh but i can see how that nose would get in the way...lol...
seems like the Yankess spent a lot of money on someone who is not in tiptop shape--maybe there's a reason Boston let him walk away without blinking ;-)
i understand that Bill Bellichick has made some very good team decisions, even when fans thought he was crazy in the past. he always ended up looking like a genius. or a miracle-worker. the last few weeks though, the Patriots organization has left fans scratching their heads. McGinest. Givens. Damon...i mean Vinatieri.
tonight i read this:
With Vinatieri gone, John Tomase of the Boston Herald takes a look at the Patriots options for kickers. The two top kickers currently available are former Vikings kicker Paul Edinger, who visited the Patriots yesterday, and former Colts' kicker Mike Vanderjagt, whom the Patriots have also expressed interest in. Of the two, Felger writes that Edinger seems the best fit for the Patriots. Edinger has cold-weather kicking experience as he played five seasons with the Chicago Bears and with the Minnesota Vikings kicked three game-winners, including a record 56-yarder with no time left to beat Green Bay on Oct. 23.
VANDERBRAT?!? in Patriot navy & silver?? i know he's the most accurate kicker in the NFL (except in clutch situations apparently *coughcoughchoke*) but his attitude STINKS. do we really just want to trade kickers with Indy? they had their hands full with him as i recall. of course they may have their hands full with Vinatieri now, considering he appears to have left New England in a temper tantrum over not being franchise tagged. maybe he can hold Peyton's hand & they can cry together. *giant eye roll*
please let it be Edinger...
...because LOOK AT THIS!!!!
now if only my stinking countdowns would start working in my sidebar again...
song of the day: "Some Beach", Blake Shelton
quote of the day: "It just proves what I've always believed. You can't let any one person take hold of your dreams; you have to hold on to a belief in yourself and that power to persevere." (William Henry)
i am having a morning. and NOT a good one. i will be hiding in an undisclosed location until the coast is clear & the dark cloud finds a new victim.
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
i have officially lost all respect for Adam Vinatieri. at least if he had gone to the Packers i could have still liked him. but now he is the Johnny Damon of the New England Patriots. yuck.
song of the day: "Heaven", Bryan Adams
quote of the day: I don't pretend to know what love is for everyone, but I can tell you what it is for me: love is knowing all about someone, and still wanting to be with them more than any other person; love is trusting them enough to tell them everything about yourself, including the things you might be ashamed of; love is feeling comfortable and safe with someone, but still getting weak knees when they walk into a room and smile at you. (author unknown)
if you follow 150 abdominal crunches with a donut, do you negate the crunches? or do the crunches negate the donut...?
not that i really watch what i eat as you all know. the thought just popped into my head & made me laugh. =P
...they know who they are =)
no one could ever know me
no one could ever see me
since you're the only one who knows
what it's like to be me
someone to face the day with
make it through all the rest with
someone i'll always laugh with
even at my worst, i'm best with you
("I'll Be There For You", The Rembrandts)
Monday, March 20, 2006
now. before any of you begin speculating & forming opinions & starting rumors based on what i'm about to post. you need to be completely aware of the fact that I AM NOT PREGNANT. LOL! a friend of mine is expecting a baby in April & the "girl name" of choice just got changed. to one of my favorite girl names. =) not that i care or anything like that. just made me think of my favorite names for if/when/someday.
Top 5 Favorite Girl Names: Emma - Lauren - Madison - Meghan - Claire
Top 5 Favorite Boy Names: Jack - Carson - William - Aaron - Ethan
i know how many times that list has updated & revised over the course of time. i wonder what it will look like at whatever point in time it is actually needed...?
leaving Swiss Cake Rolls in your lunchbag & leaving said lunchbag in your car all weekend when you live in FL does not make the tasty treat very happy. i guess Little Debbie gets cranky in the heat.
this addition could prove to be quite an interesting batting line-up if Mr Gonzalez can get & stay healthy. i've been informed that he is quite a formidable opponent when he's at the plate with a bat in hand. a batting order of Ramirez-Ortiz-Gonzalez? (or some derivative there of) in addition to Coco Crisp (still can't say that without laughing)...may the Red Sox Nation all join in for a hopeful "Johnny who??"
you have to be kidding me. i waited a whole week to find out what happened and...?! *bangs head on keyboard*
from Monday Madness
How about some 'fill-in-the-blanks' this week? Thanks for playing, everyone! =)
1. When driving in my car, my radio station is usually tuned to anything from country music to rock to sports talk.
2. When I turn my television on, even if I'm not really paying close attention to it, it's usually on channel CBS, ESPN or TBS.
3. If I owned a pet, I would own a another Cocker Spaniel, because can you imagine all those ears flopping around when they played? LOL
4. I own a Dell All-in-One printer. I bought it because i wanted a printer & a scanner when i got the new computer & this fit the bill.
5. You can find all kinds of books in my bookshelves, but mostly this type: suspense.
6. I take about a gazillion pictures every month.
7. I blog about a gazillion times a month.
8. I've been really busy at work lately
Sunday, March 19, 2006
I'm sure you've heard it said hearts have windows
But mine has doors a painful past has closed
Unless someday they open wide
Revealing feelings locked inside
I'll love you more than you'll ever know
More than life
More than I've ever loved before
It's absurd and beyond words
I couldn't want you more
And when I try to pour my heart out to you
I'm not sure it shows
That I love you more than you'll ever know
(from "More Than You'll Ever Know" by Travis Tritt)
from Unconscious Mutterings
I say ... and you think ... ?
Sugar rush:: Easter basket
Chemical:: reaction (something we have to be careful with at work)
Suspension:: temporary removal for bad behavior
Defending:: standing up for
Heartbreak:: Nora's blog
Insult:: put down
finally gave in & decided to post this through Picasa at least until Blogger gets their photo uploading in order again...
weekly challenge hosted by Standing On The Edge...
Saturday spent chatting via email with my friend Lisa & helping her get her blog redecorated--although yay for her! she did almost ALL of it herself!!
Saturday, March 18, 2006
yes i understand that today is now Saturday. but i keep seeing this on Stacy's blog. every time i see it, i think to myself "i really want to start doing that..." (i've found most of my good memes through Stacy!) well this week's challenge could not be resisted! i must jump in, even a day late.
Brought to you by the letter C
the most comfy couch in the whole world. i kid you not.
being a Floridian, i do not have much cause for coats. i have these 2 lightweight jackets...and somewhere a heavier coat for the 3 weeks of "winter" that we get but i'll be darned if i know where it is at the moment...
my candles. mostly Yankee Candle Company. primarily votives because i like to change scents often but have a "rule" about using up one candle (per room lol) before starting a new one. votives allow me to do this frequently. i do have some jars & some tea lights & some tarts but as a rule, it's votives. =)
10 Things You'd Tell Other People to Try
1. watch Boston Legal
2. greet people with a smile, whether it's on your face or in your voice when you answer the phone--even if they are too miserable to respond in kind, YOU will feel good
3. go to Disney World! (with a pass-holding native as your "tour guide" if at all possible)
4. carry your camera everywhere you go--you just never know when you'll see something that captivates you
5. the bread dipped in olive oil & spices at Carrabba's
6. send a friend or family memeber a card or a letter--the real, hand-written kind!--for no reason at all
7. use Bloglines to bookmark all your favorite blogs
8. this recipe : SO yummy
9. try out Picasa for organzing your digital photos (you need Windows 2000 or newer and Internet Explorer though...)
10. don't settle for a job you don't *love*
from Friday Fun
1. Do you dye your hair, wear colored lenses, nails? just a few highlights in my hair
2. Real or fake plants? mostly real, a few fake ones here & there
3. Real or fake gems for everyday? LOL! i have NO gems
4. Big Foot, real or fake? fake
5. The Loch Ness monster, real or fake? fake
6. Other life forms in our universe, real or fake? i'm saying fake for my own peace of mind
What job would you definitely not want to have? accountant: too much pressure and WAY too many numbers. but truthfully, i don't want any other job but the one i've got right now =)
Oprah calls and wants you to appear on her show. What would that day's show be about? "Can It Be? People who actually hate reality tv..."
Name 3 vegetables that you eat on a regular basis. broccoli. peas. green beans.
If you were commissioned to rename your hometown, what would you call it? i have absolutely no idea...
If you had a personal assistant, what kind of tasks would you have them to do? they would come to work with me & compile all the Hazmat reports & file the MSDS sheets. no one is really allowed to do anything for me at home...or anything else at my job for that matter.
1. Which movie character is most like you? Sara Nolan (Diane Lane) in Must Love Dogs
2. Which TV character is most like you? hands down, Monica from Friends (followed closely by Debra from Everybody Loves Raymond lol...)
3. Which literary character is most like you? i don't think i've ever found one. yet.
4. Which song describes you? "I'll Back You Up" by Dave Matthews Band
5. Which animal is most like you? a deer: i freeze if i'm in the spotlight. i'm quiet & shy & like to blend in. i go about my business without disturbing anyone else. if you startle me or approach too quickly, i vanish--you have to let me come to you on my own terms.
from Divine Reality
I can't believe...it's already the middle of MARCH.
I am wearing...black track pants & a hot pink tee.
I am reading..."The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom"
I am celebrating St. Patrick's Day by...posting a photo of a leprachaun & some shamrocks in my blog (yesterday).
This weekend I will...finish unpacking a few more boxes, do some chores & grocery shopping, just relax.
Friday, March 17, 2006
I've seen rainbows that could take your breath away
The beauty of the setting sun, on any given day
And when it comes to shooting stars I have seen a few
But I've never seen anything as beautiful as you
yep beautiful--yogurt face & all Baby Girl =)
Wednesday, March 15, 2006
stolen from Andie a long long time ago...
1. How tall are you? 5 ft 7 inches
2. Do you own a gun? nope
3. Rehab? no need
4. Have you ever killed an animal? unintentionally while driving. stupid little kamikaze squirrels... =(
5. Are you Irish? not even a tiny bit
6. What do you think of hotdogs? they are best on the grill & i like them with sauerkraut & ketchup. they don't sell the good brands down here though so i have to settle for 2nd best.
7. What's your favorite Christmas song? Oh Little Town of Bethlehem
8. What are your favorite sound(s)? my god daughter laughing. my "new email" sound. baby sighs.
9. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? unsweetened cranberry juice. not after i brush my teeth though.
10. Do you do push-ups? not in this lifetime
11. Have you ever done ecstasy? just say no to drugs
12. Have you been shot? with rubber bands lol...
13. Have you ever been hospitalized? not since birth *knock on wood*
14. Do you like painkillers? nope. i don't medicate well. i hate the way anything stronger than Advil makes me feel.
15. What is your secret weapon to lure in the opposite sex? if i told you, it wouldn't be a secret. ;-)
16. Do you own a knife? the kitchen kind
17. Do you have A.D.D.? nope
18. Do you love the pain a tattoo brings? are you on crack? i do NOT do needles. i'm sure not paying someone to stick themm in me!
19. Whats in your cd player? ummmm...Diana Krall i believe
20. What's under your bed? carpet
21.Current Hair? freshly cut & highlighted
22. What are you wearing? comfy loose black dress pants, an fitted orange polo-style top, heeled sandals & a white Adidas track jacket with yellow stripes (the a/c is on in here lol)
23. Current Worry? a weird gut feeling i can't explain
24. Current Love? yep =)
25. Current Hates? hang-up phone calls. Blogger server issues.
26. Favorite Place To Be. snuggled up
27. Least Favorite Place To be? driving
28. If You Could Play any Instrument? i play 2. that's enough.
29. Favorite Color(s)? navy blue. silver. barn red. chocolate brown.
30. Person(s) From Your Past You Wish You Could see again? my grandparents
31. Where Would You Like To Go To College? *Dawn runs away screaming*
32. Where Do you want to live? right where i am =)
33. favorite food? right now? almost anything. i ate just a yogurt for lunch.
34. Number of pillows you sleep with? anywhere from 3 to 6
35. What do you wear when you go to sleep? track pants or pj pants & a tank top or tee
36. What were you doing 12AM last night? sleeping
37. What do you think you'll be doing in 10 years? listen, i don't even know what i'll be doing TONIGHT lol...
38. Are you paranoid? not about much but i am about getting hurt. emotionally, not physically.
39. First piercing/tattoo? all i have pierced are my ears
40. last person you yelled at? the dog who would NOT just pick a spot & pee this morning.
41. Last thing you ate. a pina colada yogurt
42. If you could be a pirate, would you? i think i'll pass
43. Do you have an iPod? no i do not. i know i know...get with the times already.
44. When and why and where did you last vomit? Thanksgiving 1999. bad idea to come down with a stomach bug after 2 entire Thanksgiving meals. BAD. this was a consequence of being a daycare provider though.
45. What's in your pockets right now? i don't have any pockets
46. What color are your eyes? blue
47. Do you have any piercings? just one in each ear
48. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? deep red
49. Have you ever won any awards? some peer leader award when i was in high school. and most improved employee at the car delaership where i worked in CT.
50. How many TV's do you have in your house? 3
51. Have you ever sprained/broken/fractured a bone? one sprained ankle. one sprained finger. one fractured bone in my foot right where my toes meet my foot.
52. Who do you tell your dreams to? dreams as in hopes? or dreams as in while i sleep?
53. If you could pick one person to make out with who would it be? just the one i love =)
i *have* to talk some football. i've been sitting back watching all the free agency moves & i've been holding back but Michelle opened the floodgates on me this morning.
i've seen some very interesting things, i'll say that!
1. i see that Buffalo picked up Andre Davis. from the Patriots. didn't know that till this morning. i question the Patriots on that. (i think you'll see i question them on a quote a few things actually...) this guy came up with some good plays last season & with 16 free agents on the New England roster & not so much depth in the receiving department...well i hope that Sue is happy. i think the Bills made a good move there.
2. i see that Cleveland signed Joe Jurevicius. he looked pretty good last year. i know he was pretty valuable on the fantasy football front & for a WR that means he produced. i guess that Seattle was paying so much attention to Shaun Alexander that they forgot to keep their passing game intact. i don't know that i would have let him go...but the Browns are building & they have a coach who worked under the Bellichick regime. i think all those head coaches who once worked under him are going to be building some formidable teams over the next few years. i know that scares ME, especially when i see what's going on in New England right now. or more accurately, what ISN'T going on.
3. Baltimore got Trevor Pryce from Denver. i don't like the Ravens but i see them having a scary defense again this year...
4. Miami is taking a chance on veteran QB Daunte Culpepper. if he's healthy, that could really put some pep in their step on offense. IF he's healthy...i think they should have opted for Brees if they were taking chances on injured QBs. he's had 2 good consecutive seasons & he's younger...but what do i know? lol
5. the stupid Giants made a smart move picking up Kimo von Oelhoffen from the Steelers. i heard his name quite a bit last year. i still think they should invest in a new QB though...oh. no. wait. no i don't. i don't like the Giants & i want to see them keep losing with Eli at the helm. *evil laugh* just gimme their kicker...
6. i am stunned--STUNNED i tell you!--that the Chargers think Rivers is a better risk than the QB that got them 2 good seasons in a row. i thought they were on their way. i guess they think otherwise...but i'd like to see the Saints do better & if this is their ticket, so be it.
7. the Cowboys cut Keyshawn Johnson. this just makes me laugh...right up there with the Eagles letting T.O. go. there are 2 WRs i hope the Patriots aren't looking at! i'd rather have NO WRs thanks!
8. i was glad that Jon Kitna will get to start this season. i think he earned some attention in the playoffs. i wish he were getting a better shot than with the Lions though.
9. speaking of losing kickers. Green Bay lost Ryan Longwell to the Vikings. i was hoping the Patriots were looking at him. he's been a good kicker in the past & he has experience kicking in real winter weather...but he'll go to his team rival. i wonder how that feels...
10. i hope Tampa chokes on its choice to keep that Simms brat over Griese. i think Simms qualifies for the "overrated" tag. but hey...who am i to complain about the Bucs looking worse? heh.
11. one of the teams that i am *very* impressed by their free agency decisions is the Redskins. they picked up Christian Fauria (again shaking my head at these New England decisions!!) & Antwaan Randle El. i hear they also have their eye on Brandon Lloyd. that is one scary proposition. that would be *quite* a receiving corp in my opinion. if i were Marianne, i would be very happy right now.
12. i am LAUGHING at the Colts right now. i am watching Peyton's little world start coming apart piece by piece. whatever he is, he is because he had a well-rounded supporting cast. they just lost one of the best RBs in the league. period. i'm laughing. is Peyton crying? i still don't want Indy's kicker. *shudder* i can not root for that trash-talking punk.
13. i can't wait to see the Cardinals start improving. they had a solid passing game. their receivers were dependable & their QB can deliver. i always liked Warner. all they needed was to have the option for a running game. i would think Edgerrin James can provide that for them, no?
14. last because i'm kind of sick over what i've seen...the Patriots. who have signed...NO ONE. that's right. they signed NO ONE. BUT!! lest we forget, they have let Christian Fauria go to Washington, Andre Davis to Buffalo and now David Givens to Tennessee...Pro-Bowler Willie McGinnest who is one heck of a sacker...their world class kicker has apparently located an ego somewhere & is looking to see who will make him the best offer even though the Patriots out right gave him an offer that would keep him the highest paid kicker in the NFL. are your feelings hurt that they didn't franchise you Adam?! sheesh. grow up. we play big boy football here, not powder puff league. they are sitting with 16 players open to free agency, the best ones already signed elsewhere...i KNOW that the Patriots are nothing if not quietly shrewd & adaptable, even going with initially unpopular decisions that seem to work out well in the end. but they've let the best free agents go & they haven't picked up any of the free agents that were the most impressive. i am confused. we need more New England WRs...and a kicker it seems...there are some holes to fill on defense. we can't do all that with some unproven draftees! i am so confused...
Tuesday, March 14, 2006
we talk about how we watch too much tv. or maybe we watch the wrong tv. or maybe we just talk about what we watch on tv. whatever the case, tonight i watched Boston Legal, like i do most Tuesday nights.
i've mentioned before that i don't watch reality tv. sometimes i do watch something of some substance but for the most part, i watch tv to escape reality. i watch it purely for the purpose of enjoyment. every once in a while though, i take away a gem, a little nugget that sticks in my brain & makes me think.
tonight's closing scene included one line that accomplished this.
"Love trumps all."
yep, it sure does. at the end of the day, no matter how tough we want to be. no matter how polished & professional we present ourselves. no matter what we tell ourselves. when love makes us its victim, it supercedes everything else. we can fight it. we can turn our back. we can hide behind the public face we wear each day. but when love gets hold of us, it's going to win. sometimes it sneaks up on us & other times it boldly announces its arrival; a lot of the time, i think it's against our will. but love doesn't care what we think it should be. it just is. we ultimately get no say because it arrives on its own terms & grabs tight hold. when we love someone, no matter what we do to shake it, it holds on. it just holds on. it decides who & where & when & how. it creeps into our thoughts & whispers reminders in our subconscious. it laughs at our attempts to escape. it watches amused as we try to ignore it. and when we finally submit, it's there in all its victorious glory.
we can be lawyers or factory workers. we can blend in with the everyday or be famous & well-known. we can struggle or be wealthy. we can be red, yellow, black, brown or white. we can be tender-hearted or sport a hard exterior. but if love wants in, it marches in like it owns the place. amazing how no matter what we do or who we are, love gets the upper hand.
"Love trumps all."
yes you're right...i don't have time for proper blogging at the moment but lest i start a mutiny from my faithful few who are starting to email in their complaints...i thought i better get something in for now...lol...
1. Ever wonder about those people who spend $2.00 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water?
Try spelling Evian backwards: NAIVE
2. Isn't making a smoking section in a restaurant like making a peeing section in a swimming pool?
3. OK.... so if the Jacksonville Jaguars are known as the "Jags" and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are known as the "Bucs," what does that make the Tennessee Titans?
4. If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...does that mean that one enjoys it?
5. There are three religious truths:
a. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
b. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
c. Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store or at Hooters.
6. If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes?
7. Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?
8. If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?
9. Why do croutons come in airtight packages? Aren't they just stale bread to begin with?
10. Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist but a person who drives a racecar is not called a racist?
11. Why isn't the number 11 pronounced onety one?
12. If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted,cowboys deranged, models deposed, tree surgeons debarked, and dry cleaners depressed?
13. If Fed Ex and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed UP?
14. Do Lipton Tea employees take coffee breaks?
15. What hair color do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?
16. I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older; then it dawned on me ....they're cramming for their final exam.
17. I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons and forks, so I wondered what do Chinese mothers use? toothpicks?
18. Why do they put pictures of criminals up in the Post Office? What are we supposed to do, write to them? Why don't they just put their pictures on the postage stamps so the mailmen can look for them while they deliver the mail?
19 If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
20. You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.
21. Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag?
22. If a cow laughed, would milk come out of her nose?
23. Whatever happened to Preparations A through G?
Monday, March 13, 2006
it was quiet at work. i made the mistake of following the links in a blog...then following the links on one of those blogs...and more links & more links...
there are way too many good blogs out there. and they will suck up your time.
bad idea. BAD. fight this urge as hard as you can. trust me on this.
Sunday, March 12, 2006
~A Meal Out~
By the way...
What are your 3 most favorite eateries? Planet Hollywood. Beef O'Brady's. Macaroni Grille.
Why are they your favorites? Planet Hollywood: the *best* cheeseburger i have ever eaten! Beef O'Brady's: the perfect place to get a bunch of appetizers to share; relaxed family sports restaurant atmosphere; & during football season, sometimes the only place i get to watch the Patriots game. Macaroni Grille: yummy food, period.
What do you normally order at each place? Planet Hollywood: bruschetta for an appetizer, classic cheeseburger cooked medium well, no onion, honey mustard on the side, glass of water. Beef O'Brady's: 1 order each to share of mozzarella sticks, garlic bread with cheese, and chicken strips with honey mustard & barbecue sauces, glass of water. Macaroni Grille: Caesar salad, honey balsamic chicken, glass of water, glass of white zinfindel, cafe latte cheesecake for dessert.
Where will you absolutely not eat and why? anyplace that doesn't look clean. no place really coming to mind at the moment though...
I say ... and you think ... ?
Displacement:: forced removal
Grease monkey:: mechanic
Housewife:: hard work, little credit
Tissue:: Puffs Extra Strength
from yesterday's daily email devotion:
When Christ said, "I am the Way and the Truth, and the Life," He was not just being mystical or metaphorical. He was saying that from now on He would be the exclusive way to God. Here men would find mercy. The cross offers forgiveness and life to all. It knows no color, no language, no creed. It knows only divine love.
i'm still waiting for someone to justify "holy wars" to me when this is the simple truth of God's love.
Saturday, March 11, 2006
weekly challenge hosted by Standing On the Edge...
Saturday spent enjoying Spring at Epcot...
...topped off with a strawberry mousse from the patisserie in the France pavilion.
it was so gorgeous outside today that i was dying to get out there with my camera. today's destination: Epcot...
capturing the arrival of spring...
i was fascinated by the reflection of the sky & the clouds in the mirrored front of the Test Track building. caught the Test Track car's reflection as well, totally by accident!
just a couple random shots that caught my eye:
this sign outside the McDonald's snack spot amuses me every time i see it
Spaceship Earth: the lighting is virtually non-existent & you aren't allowed to use a flash so i just played around. got a couple that are pretty wild!
Friday, March 10, 2006
can you believe i am doing my Friday memes *on* Friday?! =O
from Friday Fiver
Number One Single
1. What's your favorite song these days? just *one*?! ummmm...how about my newest favorite song? "What Hurts the Most" by Rascal Flatts
2. Do you wear glasses? yes i do. see photos in sidebars. ;-)
3. Have you ever counted sheep to fall asleep? nope. it would just keep me awake longer lol.
4. Reality TV: love it or hate it? HATE it
5. Recommend a single on your friendslist that we should all get to know a little better: oh this is too hard. i recommend them all! i can't pick one friend! eh. just watch for my "blog spotlight" posts & check out some of my favorite entries ok? =P
from Friday's Feast
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being highest, how intuitive do you think you are? maybe 6? or 7? i can usually tell something is up but i don't often know what it is...
What is your favorite kind of gum? Extra Spearmint
Name a CD you own that you would never get rid of. anything by Jim Brickman. it is beautiful. classic. and totally relaxes me.
When was the last time you said something you didn't mean? probably about a week ago...more like something i said didn't come out the way i meant it when i said it.
What is the sum of the numbers in your birthdate? (Example: 3 + 2 + 1 + 9 + 7 + 9 = 31) 1 + 0 + 1 + 2 + 1 + 9 + 7 + 6 = 27 (i added in the whole mathematical equation. and then discovered that i added wrong the first time when i put my answer as 26 LOL!! i *told* you all i stink at math!)
Soldier's Wife Says 'Bring It On' As Board Votes For Sign's Removal
it's not like it was a big tacky sign that she put in her front yard. and her HUSBAND is serving in Iraq. since when have we become a country in which we can't support our own troops with a sign in our front yard without a $100 a DAY fine?? as far as i am concerned, you may not like why we're over there, but that's an issue between you & your elected officials. as for the men & women who are halfway around the world, they go where they are told. PERIOD. and they protect your ass whether you believe in their mission or not. they deserve our support & appreciation for putting their lives on the line everyday simply because they have been asked. and they do it with pride & courage. i just don't understand why a 2-foot tall "support our troops" sign is even an issue that needs to be discussed. i'd like to know what happened to my freedom of speech that every Tom, Dick & Harry cries out about having. apparently home owners associations now have the right to take it away.
*getting disgustedly down from my soapbox*
i think the woman in front of me must have been training for a new extreme sport. i watched her simultaneously smoke, drink a coffee, put on mascara & look for something in her back seat all while driving her car down a 4-lane 60mph road during morning traffic on my way into work. she *must* at least be trying to perfect her ability to multi-task. i mean she can't think this is otherwise a good idea...right?!
Thursday, March 9, 2006
another 2Peas challenge!
List 10 Things Guaranteed to Put You in a Good Mood
ok in no particular order...
1. email & IMs from my favorite people
2. Walt Disney World
3. reruns of Friends
4. getting photos of my god daughter
5. a glass of wine ;-) (lol)
6. the start of football season
7. silly little gifties or cards in the mail from my friends
8. doing RAKs mysteriously
9. flipping through my photos
10. me time
a deal has been made in the NFL salary cap talks between all the team owners. now we can move onto the bigger & better things like picking up free agents & thinking about the draft. the new salary cap will carry the NFL through the 2011 season. great. now hanging over my head as a fan:
1. what will the Patriots do about Adam Vinatieri?
2. will Brett Favre finally make a retirement decision?
so i am sitting at my desk this morning online shopping for some throw pillows & wall-mounted vases. be jealous: i don't have to do this stealth at work--i can blatantly blog, shop, surf, whatever, as long as my work is done when it needs to be!
so anyway...i found this & had to share it with one of my best friends because i know she will so want one to match (or is it commemorate now? i forget if the teapot bit the dust or not...) the pineapple motif she so desperately is striving for. hehehehehehe...
c'mon Heather. you know you want one. i even linked you right to it at Linens 'n Things. all you have to do is click on the picture. *evil grin*
from Unconscious Mutterings
I say ... and you think ... ?
Happy ending:: fairy tale
Explicit:: direct & specific
Happy place:: Disney World
Muppet:: Kermit the Frog
Wednesday, March 8, 2006
saw on a sign on another office:
Do you want to speak to the man in charge, or the woman who knows what's going on?
ahhhhh...how true it is here, how true it is!
Tuesday, March 7, 2006
in the Christian calendar, this past Wednesday (March 1st), began the season of Lent with Ash Wednesday. like Advent, Lent is a 40-day season of preparation & reflectivity. i enjoy these two seasons immensely. i love the way they make me think & reflect. i love that Lent is reminder of our own sinful mortality, "a slow steady walk to the mystery of the cross" (as my daily Lenten devotion called it).
i think something else i love about these 2 seasons is that really they share more than just the 40 days in length. at first glance, they seem to have completely opposite moods but in reality, the moods are so similar. it's as easy to see the joy of Christmas coming over the weeks of Advent as it is to feel the somber mood of Lent. but there are serious undertones to Advent as we prepare to celebrate Christmas, as we remember *why* this little baby was born in the first place. and despite the mourning of that same baby's death on Good Friday, it doesn't stop there because we look forward to the celebration of Easter & the Resurrection.
i don't know what it is but Advent & Lent exhilirate me. not in an obvious way but more deep inside my soul. i know what these seasons mean to me as a Christian and i look forward to them every year as a time to turn my attention inward to reflect & refocus.
from Divine Reality
Friday Questions: March 3, 2006
Finish these sentences
1. If I could....turn back time...
2. I wish....i may, i wish i might...
3. I am....so freaking busy!
4. Yesterday....i was cranky.
5. Once I....ever finish unpacking, i will be able to scrap again.
6. This weekend I will....well this past weekend which is what this was referring to lol, i went to Magic Kingdom.
from Ten on Tuesday
10 Things You Want, but Don't Need (February 28, 2006)
1. a new desktop computer
2. an armoire for the office to store all my scrap supplies in
3. a new bedroom set for the master bedroom
4. Sunrise Over Diamond Head by Steven Power
5. a new patio set
6. a new car
7. a $5000 shopping spree for new clothes
8. diamond stud earrings
9. "Friends" and "Sex & the City" on dvd
10. NFL Sunday Ticket
from Friday's Feast
How many pillows and blankets do you sleep with?
5 nights a week: 6 pillows, a comforter & a blanket
2 nights a week: 3 pillows & a comforter
What are you currently "addicted" to?
If you could make a small change to your current routine or schedule that would make you just a little bit happier, what would it be?
time to scrap
Which adjective do you find yourself using often?
Have you ever picked up a hitchhiker?
from Monday Madness
(February 27, 2006)
1. What time of year do you blog the most? i think i am pretty consistent actually
2. What time of year do you seem to blog the least? it's really more just random days that i don't blog, more because i get busy than because i don't have anything to say. then when i can sit down again, i make up for it. ;-)
3. What time of DAY do you do your most blogging? ummmm...early morning or late evening
4. When blog-hopping, do you tend to look at your blogroll list (or fave blogs) to see which ones have been updated, or do you visit your faves on a regular basis regardless? i use Bloglines & i check it sporadically throughout the day. it tells me which blogs have been updated.
5. Do you change your blogroll often? maybe once a month
6. How many times a day, after writing a new post, do you check for new comments? i don't have to check--they are emailed to me.
7. Do you leave comments on others' blogs, or are you more of a lurker? a little of both i would say. i do leave comments when i feel i have something worth saying or if it's my first time visiting a blog. i would say i comment about 45% of the time, lurk the other 55%.
(March 6, 2006)
1. How many hobbies do you have? 4 maybe?
2. Name at least one of your hobbies. scrapbooking. photography. Disney facts & trivia. blogging.
3. What do you like about your hobby? i'll stick with scrapbooking: it allows me to capture people & moments that are special to me & it also provides me with a creative outlet.
4. What keeps you from spending more time on any one of your hobbies? life. lack of inspiration. wishing there was a store reasonably close by. wishing i had more money to spend on it.
5. Do you have any hobbies that you haven't taken up yet, but would like to? not that i know of
6. Have you ever decided to give up a hobby? If so, why? nope
from The Thursday Threesome
::"The Shakiest Gun in the West"::
Onesome: The Shakiest-- comedian is gone! ...but not forgotten: what scene or what movie/TV show was your favorite Don Knotts piece? hands down, the movie "Private Eyes". i still can't watch that movie without totally cracking up at the goofy jokes & plays on words.
Twosome: Gun-- Who handles the law enforcement powers in your neck of the woods? Is it a police department or a sheriff's office? ...or are you under military jurisdiction? there are state police, county sheriff departments and city police. used to entertain the heck out of me when i first moved down here & saw the sheriff's department cars everywhere. in Bristol, CT, where i spent the first quarter century of my life, the sheriff had a little one-room office in run-down building on North Main Street & i am pretty sure he didn't do much more than serve eviction notices.
Threesome: In the West-- Okay, quickly now: your favorite scene in any western! Nope, not the movie, just the one scene you like best or is most memorable to you... the scene in the movie Tombstone when Wyatt Earp is supposed to meet Johnny Ringo for a shootout but Doc Holliday (who pretended to Wyatt that he was about to die) poses as Wyatt Earp & shoots Ringo, essentially saving Wyatt's life. i love the exchange of dialogue between Doc & Ringo.
Doc Holliday: I'm your huckleberry.
Doc Holliday: Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.
Johnny Ringo: My fight's not with you, Holliday.
Doc Holliday: I beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. "Play For Blood" - remember?
Johnny Ringo: Oh that. I was just foolin' about.
Doc Holliday: I wasn't.
courtesy of scrapladyb on 2 Peas in a Bucket
Fill In The Blanks.
Have fun with these! Looking forward to reading your blogs!
1. I almost peed myself when Andie & i rode the Astroblaster for the first time.
2. Country music = one of the many genres i listen to.
3. The smell of leather reminds me of new cars.
4. When I was little my mom told me stories about when i was a baby.
5. The last time I screamed was because of THIS.
6. The one person I aspire to be most like is me.
7. I check my email every day.
8. I scrapbook because i enjoy the process.
9. People drive me crazy when they belittle my job.
10. A special gift I remember receiving, that meant the world to me, was having my friend Alison flown to FL for my birthday 2 years ago.
Monday, March 6, 2006
freaking automated telephone system circles of insanity!
why bother sending me a letter that says "If you would like to discuss this, you may call Customer Service at...." when if i dial the number provided, i am given endless options, none of which address MY needs (i am disputing a charge to my checking account & the offending company is demanding payment for an order i neither made nor received merchandise for)? THEN when i have exhausted every possible option given, trying to locate this promised Customer Service rep with whom i may "discuss this" & attempt the standard "hit '0' for an operator" routine, that snippy little recorded voice replies: "that is not an acceptable selection. i'm sorry you are having difficulty at this time. please call again later." AND PROCEEDS TO TERMINATE THE CALL!!!
nothing infuriates me more than a company helping themselves to my checking account, claiming that by making a prior purchase through their website, i authorized them to use that account number for all future necessary charges (ummm! NO! i *certainly* did NOT! and my bank quite firmly agreed with me). then when i call questioning this charge, they told me i had made a purchase (which i did not!) and regardless was getting charged for merchandise i never received, whether i ordered it or not! THEN when i can't get them to understand that i am absolutely disputing this yet they won't look into it so i dispute the charge with my bank & have the charges reversed, they send me a nasty little collection letter which states:
We checked our files but could not locate correspondence from you informing us of any problems which would prevent you from paying this bill that your credit card company has informed us that you do not feel you should pay. We do not have any record of your returning the merchandise. Unless there is a problem of which we are unaware, it is our intent to collect the full amount shown on the attached statement.
funny...there is suddenly no phone number listed on their website now but the one that i have been called leading only to automated purgatory. and an email address. well someone in their email department just got quite an earful (eyeful?) and if they think i am paying for this, they are in for a big surprise.
vent over. i have a hot date to go bang my head against a wall some more anyway.
Sunday, March 5, 2006
first of all--Nichole, i want you to notice how quickly i got these up on my blog. *giggle*
some shots from It's a Small World (Michelle you have *no* idea how badly i wanted to call you from my cell! LOL! hmmmm...did i manage to miss my turn in the rotation?? although i did read that someone picked up my slack...)
no idea how i managed to get something that looks like this because the butterflies don't look like that when you're there...but i love it!
just a random shot that caught my eye in Frontierland:
Spring arrives in the Magic Kingdom
sorry Michelle, no photos of the castle this time but i *did* get you this one instead!! and people wonder how i can go to WDW so often & not get tired of it... ;-)