Monday, October 12, 2009

Food & Wine Festival 2009: Round Two

we'll call this the birthday edition. i can't really think of a better way to celebrate my birthday than with some yummies. after Round One, i've been drooling at the thought of getting back again for my second excursion of eating around the world. it did not disappoint!

Barcelona, Spain
Red Snapper Escabeche. Poema Verdejo.

i started off again with another fish. this one was about as different from the other as you could get but still very yummy. the fish was slightly spicy, just enough to warm your mouth, but what made the whole dish was the (for lack of a better word) "giant relish" in rested on. really the only thing i can compare it to is the red pepper relish my Gram used to make (more vinegar-y, not a sweet relish), just not chopped as fine. the coolness of the relish balanced out the warmth of the snapper. and the Verdejo (nope, never even heard of it before today) was a nice crisp white wine. i am most definitely a white wine girl.

Paris, France
Parmentier de Boeuf Braise au Cabernet. Merlot (Chateau Mezain, Bordeaux, 2007).

(translation: Braised Short Ribs in Cabernet with Mashed Potatoes)
i moved along to my main course in Paris. i wasn't exactly sure what i was getting when i ordered this, as far as presentation, but it was almost a derivative of a shepherd's pie. the short ribs almost melted in my mouth and the mashed potatoes made the perfect crust, with just the right amount of crispiness on the outer layer. now that we've stated my preferece toward the whites, i will say that this Merlot was good, because it worked well with the short ribs, and didn't leave my mouth quite as fuzzy as the red from Round One; i definitely liked this one better.

Barcelona, Spain
Crema Catalana

i trekked back to Barcelona for my next course. i don't exactly know how to describe this. somewhere between a custard and a creme brulee. it didn't have the crispy glaze of a creme brulee--the top was more like a custard--but the consistency of it was more like the underneath part of the creme brulee. and there were little bits of some sort of a reddish-orange-fleshed fruit in there. papaya? guava? not sure. it was good though. and i ate it under the most amazing sunset...

you can see the full set here. it was *really* hard to choose just a couple.


Rio De Janiero, Brazil
Pave de Maracuja

(translation: Passion Fruit Mousse)
and then i topped everything off with something sweet. the mousse was layered between two pieces of sponge cake (the bottom part was very thin) & the whole thing was drizzled with a passion fruit sauce. it was light & sweet. the flavor was the biggest part really, because it was so light in texture. the perfect dessert to savor at the end of my birthday.

Round Three...coming this weekend!

14 with their own thoughts:

Pat Tuesday, October 13, 2009 10:49:00 AM  

Do you go to these taste tests by yourself? Are the portions small? Because they look big in the photos. Or are they more like "tapas" portions? What a nice treat for yourself!

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:01:00 AM  

Pat: Sometimes I go alone. Sometimes not. I am an Annual Passholder for Disney World, so I am used to cruising the parks either way. They are tapas portions. What I had each round was enough to fill me up both times. (Really makes a case for portion control!) Basically, they set up booths around the World Showcase in Epcot for this event (it runs 6 weeks, every year, this time) and you can choose what you want. If you're curious for more, go up the link bar under my header photo & click the one for my photos, you can find all the menus & booths in my Epcot 2009 folder. I plan to go back again on Saturday, and at least twice more (maybe three times) after that before it ends. So many things I really want to try! You can also click on my "Food and Wine Festival" tag at the end of the post. It will show you what I had last year too. (I didn't think to capture it prior to that unfortunately.)

Julie Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:32:00 PM  

Wow. That all looks so amazing! I'm sure they do stuff like that here in Houston, but we don't get out much. From the looks of it though, we should start! How fun!

Optimistic Pessimist Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:23:00 PM  

looks like a delicious b-day meal! happy b-day!

kreed Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:23:00 PM  

I am jealous! Totally made me remember being there this time last year...I can't wait to get back again. I am getting the whole family geared up for a return trip in 2011 and I plan on making sure we are there during the Food and Wine Festival!

Nichole M Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:51:00 PM  

I'm glad you found a red you liked! I couldn't imagine drinking a white with that dish; would have probably made both taste nasty. That's what I love about pairing wine with food, and not just simple rules that I can follow, but the expertise a sommelier can give. The right vintage of this wine can make both the food and the wine sing!

Rachel Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:30:00 AM  

The french meal looks incredible... OH MY GOSH. I need some. now. LOL

Jeanne Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:50:00 PM  

All looks delicious and what a way to celebrate your birthday! Beautifully photographed as well my dear. Love the new Halloween header!

lilfootsmommy Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:00:00 PM  

YUM!

YUM!

aaaaaaand...

YUM!!!

Like I said, I need to do my birthday up Dawn style one of these years. This year, while I did get the best birthday wishes from a huge array of people, I didn't get to go out while we were away as originally planned and on my actual birthday, while he meant well and got me a cake, hubbie bought HIS favorite cake as MY birthday cake!!I call do over!!! Meet me at the airport, I'm flying down to you for the weekend so I can go for round THREE!!!

Anonymous,  Friday, October 16, 2009 8:47:00 AM  

OMG.. i think i just shorted my computer with drool...
both for the food & the location.

I'll send you some fall in a box if you send me some epcot yummies.

~**Dawn**~ Friday, October 16, 2009 1:24:00 PM  

June: I am Spoiled. (Yes, capital S.) Epcot does this for 6 weeks every year this time. I *love* it. It is well worth the 45-minute drive up there quite a few weekends in a row.

OP: Thank you!

kreed: Thank you! =)Did you hit Food & Wine Festival your last trip too?

Nichole: I couldn't imagine a white with it either (whoa, where did THAT come from??) so even though I tend to prefer them, I did at least like this red better than the other. By a LOT. ;-)

Rachel: It is such a fun event. I never understand the long lines at the McDonalds counter service when this is going on. Blows my mind!

Jeanne: Thank you, thank you. =) I really am quite the lucky girl, aren't I?

Gail: Indeed.

LFM: You must. You really really must. OMG we would have so much fun!

Keri: Oh how I wish I could!

Anonymous,  Wednesday, November 04, 2009 11:52:00 AM  

I'm a pastry arts intern with Disney, and I actually make the crema catalana each day. The bits of fruit are candied orange/mandarin zest, and I think are the best part. It's basically pastry cream with all sorts of orange added in, and it's my favorite. It would be crunchy like a brulee, but the fire marshall won't allow open flame in the kiosks, so we have to brulee it inside, which means the crunch dissolves a bit. I still think its yummy....

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP