Monday, October 19, 2009

Food & Wine Festival 2009: Round Three

so Saturday was one of those glorious days i live for, as a Flordian, in October. brisk, breezy day, reminiscient of Autumn in New England. a day just begging me to be outdoors. except...not just me. apparently half of Florida decided that they *also* needed to be at Epcot on Saturday in the glorious weather. they were everywhere. all in my space & blocking my path & bumping into me as i tried to navigate with my little plates of food toward some small unoccupied scrap of real estate upon which to photograph & munch.

whew. all that whining to say: i only made three stops on this round. i just couldn't take all the people anymore. yes, Disney almost always has a crowd, but suffice to say, this was one of the more crowded days i can remember of late. good for the local economy, i am sure, but less conducive to my overall enjoyment. =P

Wellington, New Zealand
Seared Sea Scallop with Vegetable Slaw and Lemon Oil. Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc.

this was a good start. light & fresh. the scallop had a little bit of something vaguely spicy on it's top. not even enough to leave your mouth feeling warm. just a hint of a taste. i liked it. the vegetable slaw was good too (although a wee bit heavy on the onion for my tastes) with yummy, crunchy, sweet red & yellow peppers. and yes, you know how i feel about the white wines. not as yummy as the Riesling i had on Round One or the Verdejo i had on Round Two, but quite tasty nonetheless.

Mouse Catch
Trio of Cheeses.

we'll talk about the cheeses from left to right. first is the Piave, an Italian cheese. it was my least favorite of the three, very dry & very little taste, in my oh-so-humble opinion. the one in the middle is Mahon, which is a Spanish cheese, and was very good--mild & had a dry texture as well, but not as dry as the Piave. it is exactly what i like when i have cheese & crackers. and the one on the right is a Dutch cheese called Dorothea. it was creamy (but not soft) & sharp in taste. i liked it, but i would have liked it better with a slightly different cracker, i think. i like cheese. cheese is good. not much else really to say.

Bologna, Italy
Cannelloni.

this was really good. pretty much what you would expect of an Italian dish, what with the pasta & the tomato sauce & the cheese, satisfying but not too heavy. it was a bit breezy (as i mentioned) & this warmed me right up. and also left me full enough that i could escape the mobs of human beings by fleeing to the Future World side of Epcot to ride Space Ship Earth, Living With the Land and Test Track until it was time for Illuminations.

here's to hoping the return of the mid-to-upper 80s this coming weekend will make Round Four a slightly less populated adventure. ;-)

8 with their own thoughts:

Sarah Anne Monday, October 19, 2009 4:11:00 PM  

Yum! That all sounds good. Glad you had a good time despite the crowds!

Samantha Monday, October 19, 2009 6:47:00 PM  

all this talk of food is making me hungry. ;)

penuttpie Monday, October 19, 2009 8:43:00 PM  

have i mentioned that i SO want to go to this?!?!

Pat Monday, October 19, 2009 9:23:00 PM  

You should be a food critic! I liked ALL your selections this week! I, too, prefer white over red. :)

Thirty Something Girl Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:54:00 AM  

That Cannelloni looks scrumptious. It's one of my favourite Italian dishes. I never have anything else when I go to an Italian restuarant or have Italian takeaway. x

Anonymous,  Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:04:00 PM  

Love the NZ stop you made - were the scallops from here? Great to have a NZ Sav with it too!

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:39:00 PM  

Samantha: There's more coming too. At least another 2-3 rounds. ;-)

G: They do this at Epcot this time every year! ;-)

Pat: Ha! You are too kind. I am just good about knowing what I like. Or not. ;-)

Sara: I like it too & I probably should have opted to try something new but I couldn't resist. =P

thisgirlsjourney: I am not sure where they get the actual ingredients to make the food but I know they are very particular about getting recipes & wines from the places being represented!

Heather Monday, October 26, 2009 11:00:00 AM  

all that looks freaking amazing!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP