Friday, December 14, 2007

today's random Red Sox off-season coping strategy quote: December 14, 2007

oh how JFL makes me miss the beauty that is A-Gon's defense at short stop...

Last year, lots of time was spent discussing Alex Gonzalez’s defense…and indeed, in the several decades I’ve been watching Red Sox baseball, I’d never seen a shortstop make so many challenging plays look effortless. (I’m not the most trained viewer, but at times Gonzalez’s grace reminded me a bit of the beauty that was Carlos Beltran when he patrolled center field for the Royals.) A-Gon was, in the field, a sort of anti-Jeter, who should get some kind of lifetime award for making routine plays looking insanely difficult.
(Feeding the Monster)

by the way. 59 days til pitchers & catchers report, for those of you also suffering Sox withdrawals.

3 with their own thoughts:

Ted D Friday, December 14, 2007 8:42:00 PM  

I miss Gonzo. Watching him play SS was one of life's great joys.

Have a great weekend, Dawn.

Scott Monday, December 17, 2007 9:53:00 AM  

Watching him in '06 was like watching Crisp in '07, they were both phenominal. I still don't understand why Crisp did not win a GG this past season, his soft throwing arm shouldn't take away what he did with the glove. My Strat-o-matic game just came out with fielding rating from last season and they didn't even give Coco the top fielding rating. Don't understand why there is no love for the glove.

~**Dawn**~ Monday, December 17, 2007 11:01:00 AM  

Ted: That 2006 infield was truly a work of art. The way Youk, Loretta, Alex & Lowell played together... I could have just watched that all day long. They were the anti-Jeter (take a routine play & make it look like it was nearly impossible to pull off): they made even the crazy ridiculous plays look fluid & effortless.

Scott: I don't understand why there is so little appreciation for the defensive side of the game. It's actually one of my favorite parts! I mean, hitting & home runs are exciting & all but... one of my favorite things is watching guys like Coco or Lowell or Youk (among others!) do what they do!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP