Sunday, October 14, 2007

mental close calls

so i walked out to the newspaper box to grab a copy of the Sunday paper just now, before they change them out for the Monday edition. i pulled my paper out after depositing my quarters. as the door clanged shut again, i realized that my house key was in the hand that i had used to remove my newspaper -- and i had this flash of how... inopportune it would have been if the key had slipped from my grip & fallen into the box. i had no more quarters left to reopen the box, and it occurred to me that i also did not have my cell phone in my hand. (a rare instance for me.) my options would have been to "break into" my own apartment through the window (which thankfully is open to let in the pleasantly cool evening air, so i would have only needed to replace the screen); to hope for some late night dog-walker to pass by & beg for some quarters; or to wait around for the newspaper people to show up & let me into the box to retrieve my key.

as i walked back down the sidewalk to my front door, my key securely in my hand, it made me laugh at myself. and it made me thankful that it was only a passing thought, that i could chuckle at my own wandering mind. it's not the first time a random scenario has popped into my head, some minor crisis "escaped" that merely flitted through my thoughts as a "what if" and never a reality.

funny, the little things that make you thankful. =)

5 with their own thoughts:

*krystyn* Monday, October 15, 2007 12:05:00 AM  

That would be scary if you had locked your key inside the paper box.

Didn't I post a while ago about locking myself out of my apartment? I was stuck on my own balcony (3rd floor) w/slippers on...it was winter..not fun.

~**Dawn**~ Monday, October 15, 2007 8:44:00 AM  

You know, I vaguely remember you posing about that, Krystyn. That is way worse than what I would have dealt with but thankfully mine was only a passing thought.

Janet Monday, October 15, 2007 3:38:00 PM  

I've done that before...IMAGINED something happening when in fact it didn't ;-)

~**Dawn**~ Monday, October 15, 2007 3:39:00 PM  

Janet: I'm telling you! For just that split second, I pictured it happening & thought "Wow, that would have *really* sucked!" Thank God it was just an imagined possibility.

Anonymous,  Tuesday, October 16, 2007 7:07:00 PM  

Oh, Dawn, you forgot the easy fourth solution.

Step One -- Wind up one foot of one smallish girl.

Step Two -- Apply that foot to the glass plate of the newspaper box.

Step Three -- Retrieve key.

Step Four -- Leave note that says, "It was that way when I got here."

I'd defend you against destruction of property charges with the defense of necessity. :)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP