Tuesday, October 23, 2007

ladies & gentlemen of the jury

thaaaaaat's right.
i get to go back Thursday to sit on the jury of a criminal case.

actually, one of us will be an alternate, but we don't know which of the seven of us it will be.

yesterday was the first time i have ever been summoned for jury duty so i had zero idea what to expect. some thoughts & observations from my day:

1. the process of jury selection is fascinating. some of the questions they ask the potential jurors are enough to make you feel like *you're* the one on trial. also you get a pretty good feel for the direction the two sides will be taking in their arguments.

2. when it takes nine hours to select a seven person jury, you know the trial is going to be something. you guessed it: that's the one i am on.

3. you would think that if they are going to make you sit for nine hours, the least they could do would be to give you something softer to sit on than unpadded benches & hard plastic chairs. my backside is finally recovered from that trauma. thank God i get to sit in the comfy chairs on Thursday.

4. because it took so long & so many panels of people to fill the seven spots, and because once you are chosen, you are required to sit in the court room until the entire jury is selected, let's just say you hear the introduction given by the judge, and the questions from the attorneys so many times, you start to feel a little silly. by the time the final panel of potential jurors entered the court room at ten minutes to five, we had long since been placing bets on which jurors would never make the cut & who would be picked.

i can't say that i am excited about being chosen, but... on the other hand, this should be one interesting, if not potentially disturbing, case.

9 with their own thoughts:

gail@more than a song Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:33:00 PM  

I feel bad for you having to go back....the only upside might be that if you're chosen and render a verdict it might exempt you from being called again for a year or 2; or that's the way it works here anyway.

kreed Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:49:00 AM  

Oh boy! Jury duty for you! I have never been called...guess I've lucked out. I'll be interested to hear how it goes!

*krystyn* Wednesday, October 24, 2007 8:21:00 AM  

I've never been called for jury duty either. Just think of all the blogging material you will gather there.

Colleen Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:56:00 AM  

Wow. Interesting. Sorry for your bum. I hate it when that happens. BTW, I linked you in one of my recent posts...cause you're fun like that =)

jenny Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:23:00 PM  

Nine hours?? Wow.

At least you get to decompress in front of the WORLD FREAKING SERIES tonight.

huminahuminahumina.

Mega Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:38:00 PM  

"Thats the one I am on"

I'm innocent I tells you!

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:26:00 PM  

Gail: In Florida (at least in my county) once they summon you for jury duty, whether you are dismissed before you ever get there or are selected for an actual jury, they cannot call you again for at least 12 months.

kreed: Careful saying that! That was exactly what I said, two weeks before my summons arrived. LOL!

Krystyn: Oh there is blogging material, let me tell you!! LOL

Colleen: I am *so* behind on visiting blogs! I am trying to get caught up this afternoon, now that my work is caught up through tomorrow since I won't be in work.

Jenny: Nine hours. Nine long hours. Brings a whole new meaning to jury duty being a pain in the...

Mega: You, my dear, are *never* innocent. ;-)

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:25:00 PM  

Oh wow, aren't you the lucky one?! That seems like a long time to seat a jury, but I wouldn't know. I've never been picked :) So I look forward to hearing more about the process, what you can write about, I know they're picky, after it's over. You can teach the rest of us what all of this criminal jury stuff is really like!

marianne Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:44:00 PM  

that was my experience too - a whole lot of sitting, waiting, and hearing the same thing over and over. and then, to add insult to injury, after they finally seated the jury I was on, they plea-bargained the guy!! erg!

I enjoyed the experience though - hope you do too. It's a cool look at the judicial system.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP