Friday, April 18, 2008

SPF: April 18, 2008



Kristine says:
Friday April 18th: HERO.
Who’s your hero? What is symbolic of a hero? What does Hero mean to you? What does it look like?




i couldn't take my photo for "hero" myself. i had to scan one in that i already had.

i don't know exactly how i would define 'hero' but i know heroes give of themselves, at a cost, for the benefit of others. and i know that we look up to heroes for those sacrifices. and i know that heroes are often so much more than we even see or realize or acknowledge, because we can't, because they don't broadcast it, because they do without expecting accolades.

that photo says 'hero' in many ways to me. some less obvious than others. i mean that young man there put on a uniform for his country & served his Uncle Sam. and to this day won't talk about much of it. based on the few stories i have heard, and what history i have read, i can't say as though i blame him. that young man in a uniform is a hero for his country.

that young man also grew up to be my father. a single father of two. in a time when fathers were not often the ones awarded custody of small children. a father who sacrificed so much -- and probably so much more than i will ever know -- for his kids.

17 with their own thoughts:

Anonymous,  Friday, April 18, 2008 10:34:00 AM  

Very nice tribute to a great hero!

I played.

{Ãñgê£}ä Friday, April 18, 2008 10:38:00 AM  

Excellent choice! You are so very lucky to have such a wonderful man as your father, I envy you.

I played too. :)

Cricky Friday, April 18, 2008 11:16:00 AM  

Excellent tribute to your Daddy.

I played

christina ina Friday, April 18, 2008 11:43:00 AM  

Sometimes, our parents are our first heroes we know.
I played too.

Janet Friday, April 18, 2008 12:00:00 PM  

I couldn't think of a hero. That's a beautiful picture of your Dad! What happened to Mom?

Mom Friday, April 18, 2008 12:56:00 PM  

WTG Dad!

As for your comments about men and women in service I thank you. My husband is a Army LTC and I am reminded everyday of the hero that he and his fellow solider's are.

Anonymous,  Friday, April 18, 2008 1:35:00 PM  

I agree with you--men & women in service are heroes who are too often unappreciated.

your dad sounds like a wonderful hero! happy spf! i played too!

Random and Odd Friday, April 18, 2008 3:45:00 PM  

This gave me chills. Awesome. Thank you SO much for sharing your hero with us.

I'm glad you played!

Send me suggestions for upcoming SPFs.

Ted D Friday, April 18, 2008 9:28:00 PM  

Dawn,

It sounds like you were blessed with a great Dad. I hope my kids will someday tell someone I was their hero; I can't think of a higher honor.

Ingrid Saturday, April 19, 2008 4:52:00 AM  

Wow, I didn't know you were raised by a single father. The amazing job he's obviously done with you instantly gives hime hero status, but he sounds like an incredible man. Awesome post Dawn.

Ted D Saturday, April 19, 2008 8:24:00 AM  

Hey Dawn,

I'm off to work, but I just had to say...

My man Lugo better be nervous; that boy Lowrie can PLAY. ;)

Tree Newt Monday, April 21, 2008 7:41:00 AM  

Just read this one, Dawn. Your dad is a hero, indeed.

~**Dawn**~ Monday, April 21, 2008 9:44:00 AM  

You are all very kind. =) Yes, I am very lucky.

Janet: It amazes me how young he looks... My parents got divorced before I before I was 4. The courts awarded custody of me to my dad, but gave my brother to our mother because he was an infant. She declined custody of him & just took visitation of us both so we usually saw here 2 or 3 Sundays a month.

Steph: They really are.

Ted: I am sure they will think so too. (And Lowrie is coming. Lugo better not get comfortable.)

Ingrid: Your comment made me blush. I think he did a pretty good job though. =)

Anonymous,  Monday, April 21, 2008 12:02:00 PM  

Oh, geez thanks for making me cry already today! I loved this post. I, too, look up to my Dad as my hero (even though he is no longer here in body) and I LOVE to flip through his army photos. It gives me a shiver to know he served his country and I appreciate that so much. Good for your Dad!!!

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:40:00 AM  

Awww. I'm sorry I made you cry, April. But thank you for appreciating the post!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP