Sunday, April 27, 2008

the importance of photographs

as i capture photo after photo, i often ask myself if they serve their only purpose as they bring me joy, if their only worth will be realized for as long as i travel in this world. tonight, as i sifted through piles of old family photos that my Gram made sure were placed in my care, i was reminded that this "fear" is not indeed fact. these photos are portals to both the past and the future. they connect us, across time, across space, across lifetimes.

as i flip slowly from one image to the next, i feel. i feel that heavy weight, on my chest and behind my eyes, of missing those who i can no longer reach out and hug. but that weight is tempered by seeing with my own eyes the places that my loved ones went, the people they saw, the experiences they had & wished to remember as they walked this earth, and then i also feel that warmth of their love as easily as if they sat by my side, telling me the stories within the photographs that i treasure. more than that, i have this precious gift. i am seeing places and times that i never could have without these pieces of paper in my hands. and even if i could have seen them, even if i follow the paths they took, i would not be able to see through their eyes like i can when i soak in this story book of their lives.

not only can i travel back in time, but i travel forward as well. i wonder if i will one day have that kind of love for my own, this love that they documented with decades' worth of cameras over almost a century. i wonder if my own memories will one day be viewed with this same silent awe by my own grandchildren. i wonder...and i allow myself to dream -- a luxury i rarely grant myself -- even as i am remembering and reliving moments gone by. i catch glimpses of laughter to be shared, love that will encircle me, memories made with friends & family, a future that makes me catch my breath just for a moment with a joyful anticipation i wasn't sure i was still able to feel.

i see these people, too long already removed from my current world, and i can hear their voices. i can recall in a heartbeat memories that might otherwise drift from my mind without notice. i am transported back to my Gram's dining room, to Christmas mornings, to the backyard i grew up in, to once in a lifetime events, and to every day simplicities that have more value than i ever could have believed possible.

it's too easy to disconnect from our personal histories. to wander our own paths, forgetting where we came from without visual reminders to bring us home in thought if not in body. to live in the now so much that we miss how we fit into the big picture, the moments that took place in the lives of those we cherish when we couldn't be present, in lifetimes that were lived long before we had even arrived. and yet, staring into these scenes and images, i am able to move both backward & forward, simultaneously, while sitting absolutely still.

time will roll forward. the days and months and years that i sit here wondering, perchance dreaming, about will become reality one by one, unfolding into my present, and slipping behind me like pages turned in a book. and if i have learned anything from my trip down memory lane, i will continue to tote around my camera, capturing scenes not unlike those in the piles on my coffee table, yet completely unique as only i will see them.

9 with their own thoughts:

Debi Monday, April 28, 2008 8:12:00 AM  

Well said, Dawn! Keep on clicking!

My wonderful father-in-law was so good at capturing his family's life. He filled albums upon albums upon albums (70-some of them, in fact) with photos. Someone always seems to have an album pulled out perusing it. It's so cool that I get to see so many photos of my husband throughout his entire life. My parents rarely ever took photos...and it really does feel like an emptiness.

Anonymous,  Monday, April 28, 2008 12:11:00 PM  

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again (and D teases me about it...sometime soon I'll blog about our Florida episode last year when we lost three days worth of digital photos and I flipped out...that will be a future post LOL) but PICTURES ARE MEMORIES.

I can often recreate a particular feeling or smell or thought or moment in time that I thought was lost forever, and with a person who I may no longer have physically in my life, just by staring back into time into the lovely photograph. Like you said, it could be something simple to anyone else, but to me, it's a magical moment in time that I will always cherish!

Jeanne Monday, April 28, 2008 1:21:00 PM  

How beautifully put! I have photos and slides from my parents of their early years together. It's so amazing to look back at their young full of hope faces. So glad to be a documentor of this life I'm living.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Monday, April 28, 2008 3:27:00 PM  

Incredibly well-written post, Dawn, maybe one of my most favorite of yours for all time :)

Oh, and I could not agree more!

Scott Monday, April 28, 2008 8:39:00 PM  

That was beautiful, I don't think it could have been said any better. They are never gone as long as you have the memories.

Janet Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:56:00 AM  

I love this post! It's so much fun looking through old pictures...in fact, I think I might donate my old photo albums to friends whose children will get a kick out of them!

gail@more than a song Tuesday, April 29, 2008 4:05:00 PM  

I LOVED this Dawn! Well said, well written and I agree....I love pictures, the memories they bring and that they capture slices of life. How wonderful that you love photos so much. This might be one of my favorite posts of yours!

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:52:00 PM  

I hope a simple but heartfelt thank you to all of you for appreciating this post is adequate. Every once in a while, the words just pour out...

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP