Wednesday, April 30, 2008

return of the walk-off

i want to say that was an unlikely pitchers' duel, but i have to tell you, i am a fantasy baseball pitching curse. every one of my fantasy picthers has faced his share of struggles this season. forced to make some adjustments, i let some pitchers go & picked up some new ones. one of the pitchers i released: Jon Lester. who proceeded to pitch eight innings of one-hit ball. sure he walked four, but he struck out six & gave up only that one hit in a no-decision outing, amd in fantasy land that translates to being worth positive points for a switch. bottom line is Lestah pitched a strong game -- not that i am complaining *too* much about the way this affects my fantasy baseball team, mind you, if dropping him translates to more wins for the Sox. Papelbon pitched the top of the ninth, giving up a hit but not a run, and was awarded the third out on a highlight reel grab by Pedroia. and with two outs in the home half, Papi walked, Manny singled, and Youk drove Papi in with the walk-off RBI single.

i feel like i just watched a Sox classic. part of me feels bad for Halladay getting a loss for a complete game that would have been quite the start in almost any other circumstances. it's hard, as a fan of the game, to see a start like that not result in a win. but my boys *needed* that win to halt the downward spiral they'd been trapped in over the last week.

just like that, the ship rights itself. the Rays & Yankees lost, Boston & Baltimore are tied for first place in the division, Lowell is back at the hot corner, and the Sox are pulling off ninth inning victories like it was the game plan all along. (if it's ok with you, i'm going to pretend not to know that Pedroia, JD & Jacoby are not feeling 100% for various reasons...)

anyone else remember the past week? yeah, me neither.

(photos from Yahoo! Sports)

9 with their own thoughts:

Bart Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:37:00 AM  

Ahem? Tied? Percentage points...

Sorry, but it's not gonna last, so I have to be a stickler while we still are playing like a team that can actually win. So, yeah...tied, scmeid. Percentage points. :D

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:39:00 AM  

Bart: LOL! You may acknowledge percentage points. As far as the Rays go, we are in first place & they are not. ;-)

Anonymous,  Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:54:00 PM  

I love that pic of Youk. Looks like he's up to no. freaking. good. Must have been fun in the clubhouse after that win!

Rooster Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:33:00 PM  

I was at the game - waht a great time. Very cold night, but what do you want for April?

Dawn, if adding pitchers to your fantasy team is a bit of a jinx, can you see if you can swing a trade for Chien-Ming Wang?

Redbeard76 Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:55:00 PM  

I would have liked to have seen the game, if my infernal wife wasn't watching that dammned American Idol and Hell's Kitchen. Can I swing a trade for her?

Anonymous,  Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:26:00 PM  

I'm so sorry I missed the walkoff because I had to drive to the Angels game! I would have loved to see Youk, who is so hard on himself, after that game-winning single!

Ted D Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:22:00 PM  

Dawn, I've got Lester, but I can't remember if it's in our league or the SG league I'm in. Woot for me!

Great to get the win after Lester matched Doc pitch for pitch.

Jeanne Thursday, May 01, 2008 7:56:00 AM  

Funny how a spectacular win can wipe all the nasty out of your mouth. Felt bad for ya every time I went into Dunkin and saw 'better luck next time", no win for you no free iced coffee for me. We're on high speed now so I'll be around here more often. It's an amazing thing high speed internet hehe.

~**Dawn**~ Friday, May 02, 2008 11:04:00 AM  

Nichole: Isn't that the funniest photo? I wonder who was about to get tackled...

Rooster: I may have to consider that. Use my curse for good. Yankees & Rays pitchers for me! ;-)

Redbeard: I am not sure I could have stood that... I would ask for a compromise at least. Like some days she can have the remote & surf to her heart's content, but then there should also be days that you can say "my turn with the remote & the game stays on".

Daniel: If two guys could have walk offs on consecutive nights, I am glad it was Youk & Tek. They had identical reactions.

Jeanne: Hooray for high speed internet!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP