Sunday, January 31, 2016

Snapshot from Along the Broken Road: 2016 - Week 4

Checking in for the week of January 24 through January 30.

WHAT I READ|
The Dark Tower (Stephen King) - This book (and the whole series, really) is so trippy. I can't even imagine what it's like to live with the things that go on in King's mind. I'm trying to decide how to handle the fact that I'm not toting this brick back and forth with me, so I only get reading done before bed at night. Some days, I'm bringing The Story with me, so I can get my reading done for the coming Sunday's church focus, but often that only lasts me a couple of days. I don't typically read two books at once, but I am thinking of starting a second book that's more easily transported, so that I a) have something with me to read, and b) I'm not falling *way* behind on my 2016 goal. I'm hoping if I start a book that's drastically different from this one (shouldn't be a problem, since I don't read *anything* else even remotely like this series), I won't feel like I'm getting stories crossed in my mind.

WHAT WE ATE|
Other than the tasty treats in the photos below, this week's food intake included: tuna sandwiches; grilled chicken wraps; a pizza with lots of veggies on it; grilled cheese with tomato soup; a new recipe for slow cooker broccoli cheese soup (I'm pretty sure all the cheese negates any health benefits from the broccoli, but this soup was also really very yummy); and barbecue ribs with baked beans and coleslaw.

CANDLE SCENTS|
White Christmas (YC)
Merry Cookie (BBW) - Switching to this one, in our bedroom, even though White Christmas is only half gone. I was in the mood for something a little "warmer."
Christmas Cookie (YC) - Sensing a theme here?
Luscious Plum (YC) - I love how unexpected this scent is for the winter. It's fruity, but not in the way a summer fruit scent, or even an autumn one, would be. Much like the far more commonly used cranberry, there's a tartness, that seems right for this time of year, and also a "coolness" to the scent that I can't really describe in any other way.
Build a Snowman (YC) - Fresh and minty and just very fun. I love minty scents in the winter.

WHAT THIS WEEK LOOKED LIKE|
I should warn you now. I apparently made up for some slow photo weeks with this one. Oops.

Proof we don't run our heat in the not-summer. ;-) I love that I can make use of my fuzzy blanket and my slippers, and it's the best for sleeping!


Best socks ever? Best socks ever. (So comfy and they're Red Sox socks!) (FYI: It's really difficult to get your feet in the Red Sox logo position.)


One of my birthday gifts, this past October, was a subscription to "Try the World." Every other month, I get a box full of goodies to taste. This one was from the Spain box and I wasn't sure it was going to be something I liked all that much. I was very wrong. Light and crumbly, like a crumb cake, with this lemon jam-like filling. Just goes to show: you don't know til you try!


It was raining for my Animal Kingdom adventure, so only my iPhone camera. But the lion was up!! Demands to be documented.


Horrible photo quality, but I had no idea there were *two* lionesses! When all you ever see of the lions are the occasional ear or paws or the top of a mane, you assume the habitat is one male and one female. The animals were *loving* the cool, damp weather though.


This regal lady is 18 years old. There are only two of the original five Asian tigers remaining at Animal Kingdom (all were female), and both of these beauties are advanced in years. There are two Sumatran tigers (a male and a female, I believe? don't quote me) in another area, but I wonder if they will try to get some new Asian tigers for the future. Who knows, maybe they already have?


I have a problem. It's resisting the Wok-Fried Green Beans at Yak and Yeti. I honestly think I could make an entire meal of these things.


This was the Mandarin Chicken Salad I got as my meal. I am not even kidding you, I think they used fourteen heads of lettuce to make this thing. I never actually saw the plate, even though I ate...and ate...and ate.



Tee hee!


You know WDW has done a good job integrating new buildings when you have to stop and question whether or not this is a new gift shop. (It is.)


I was completely enamored with this mosaic in the entry to the Riverside Depot. How awesome are those colors? I opted to share a mosaic-only shot on Instagram, but I like this one too, because it tells me a little more about my day. For instance, I can tell you, based on the shoes I'm wearing, that it was not-summer and rainy.


Turtle.


I loved this mural and lighting fixture. This park, especially, is just a total feast for the eyes.


Dinner! I've only eaten here one other time, ages ago, so it was a fun treat to go back with Nichole and Tracy.


I got the Ashley Farms Chicken Sous Vide with Tuscan-style Polenta, Cippolini-Green Bean RagoĆ¹t, and Chicken Jus. And I had to refrain from licking my plate.

4 with their own thoughts:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Thursday, February 04, 2016 6:20:00 PM  

56 - as in 56 degrees INSIDE your house? Oh.My.Word. I would be a frozen popsicle! Ours gets in the mid 60's and I can't get enough clothes and blankets piled on :) I don't have a lot of cold tolerance, obviously :)

Great WDW pictures, especially love the turtle one, beautiful colors!

Oh, and P.S. You and T are putting us to shame in the cooking and eating department! YUM!

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, February 04, 2016 7:15:00 PM  

LOL, Stacy! Yes, that was inside. It really doesn't bother me as long as I have my blanket and slippers. I move mighty quickly when I get out of the shower, though. ;-) There is just so much to discover, visually, at Animal Kingdom and the colors are fantastic.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP