Monday, January 11, 2016

Some Things: January 11, 2016

** I cannot watch the scene in Elf where he finds the gum on the railing and starts popping it into his mouth ::gag:: ...

** ... But the scene where they're all singing "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" and Santa's sleigh swoops up over their heads gives me a thrill of Christmas Spirit every single time.

** How obvious is it that I started this post a while ago?

** I daydream about having a double oven. Like not just a passing thought, but a straight up daydream.

** Some days I wake up with epic bedhead, and yet the covers are still so neat, it looks like I never moved a muscle the entire night, and I really wonder how both are possible.

** Few things are as obvious how badly you needed to replace them, but didn't realize it until you your husband did so, as windshield wipers.

** If you think burnt popcorn smells terrible, you ought to smell tortillas, which I, somehow, managed to burn in the microwave on Saturday. We had to actually take them out of the kitchen trash and throw them away in the big outdoor trash can. Even then, they still lingered for several more hours. And don't open up the microwave, because yikes.

** Somewhere around the All Star Break, last summer, we get desperately bored, and signed up for Netflix. We promptly got hooked on Hell on Wheels. I am heartily bummed that they don't stream Downtown Abbey, though. Guess I'll just have to wait longer before I get to check that one out, despite so many people recommending it to me.

** It is currently 52 degrees, with a forecast high of 61, and I probably don't have to tell you how happy I am that not-summer has *finally* arrived in Florida. Oh, sure, most of our days will hover around 68-72, and some may even approach mid to upper 70s, perhaps even flirt with an occasional 80 a day or two. But the fact is that the a/c seems to be off for the foreseeable future and that makes me a happy camper. The Floridians who enjoy the heat and humidity (I don't get it, but I know they exist) are complaining bitterly now, but hey, they got a bonus two months. It's *my* turn for the six four months of weather *I* enjoy best! (Abbreviated though it will likely be. I don't expect mine will extend through May and June to compensate for that record-breaking heat of November and December.)

8 with their own thoughts:

*krystyn* Monday, January 11, 2016 3:37:00 PM  

I'll take the 52 degrees as we are struggling with 32 today and when I have dismissal duty (every.single.day) and have to type on my phone (sans gloves)...I am NOT happy in the cold. :(

~**Dawn**~ Monday, January 11, 2016 3:40:00 PM  

Krystyn: We almost never get below 40 for the high temp. We might get 32 (or lower!), at night, a good handful of times over the not-summer but I don't recall that ever being the high here. This is the kind of winter I love! 52 is brisk and refreshing. We clearly just need to relocate you. ;-)

*krystyn* Monday, January 11, 2016 3:44:00 PM  

Yes...I SO need to relocate....sooner rather than later. I'm getting tired of saying that, it just needs to happen.

april Wednesday, January 13, 2016 7:48:00 AM  

I want 70s. This is too cold for me - I have a very small tolerance for cold. (also, how was your blog not in my Feedly? That has been corrected)

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:53:00 AM  

April: I like the 70s too, but I guess you'll never get the New England completely out of me. I don't mind some brisk days. Not-summer in Florida feels like autumn in the northeast, which was always my favorite. I have no need for anymore New England winter though. (Ha! Probably because I was a lazy bum with it in 2015! Both with blogging and with reading other blogs in a timely enough fashion that I wasn't horrified to leave a comment, the post was so old. Ahem.)

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Thursday, January 14, 2016 6:12:00 PM  

My favorite kind of post!

I had a struggle when we were building our house. I wanted a double oven, but with the layout of the kitchen, I would have had to move the microwave to somewhere else or give up my storage that they built above my oven/microwave for cookie sheets, sheet pans, muffin tins, pizza pans, etc, which is my absolute favorite part of my kitchen, and one reason why we picked this plan. I ended up going with one oven, and am ok with that about 362 days of the year. It's just at holidays or big get-togethers that I wish I had the second one. For the two of us, the one oven works almost all the time! :)

I always know when the wipers need to be changed, they start making that squeaky noise that drives me crazy!

Hmm, not going to ask about the tortillas :)

And Downton Abbey, at least recently you could stream all seasons for free on Amazon Prime. Do you guys do Prime? We do it for the shipping, plus I get one free kindle download a month, and we get the streaming stuff. I've rewatched a lot of Downton that way :)

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, January 14, 2016 8:02:00 PM  

Stacy: What do you do when you need the oven for two different dishes for dinner but they require different temperatures?? Or do you just plan better than I do? ;-)

Mine make that squeak too, but I'm always shocked just *how* badly I needed the new wipers once I see how well the new ones work! LOL

Just...don't overcook hard taco shells in the microwave. ;-) (And I was actually following the directions on the package!!)

I don't do Prime, but another blogger told me just today (after I commented on her blog) that you can watch a bunch of them on the PBS site! If I can just get my hands on season one, I will be all set!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Friday, January 15, 2016 12:31:00 PM  

Dawn - I wing it a lot in the oven! If it's something that not's critical with the temp (I think you can cook fish or chicken or veggies at a lower temp for a longer time, most of the time), then sometimes I just jam both dishes in there and just cook the one that needed a higher temp at a lower temp for a longer time. Sometimes, I just plan more and do the hotter oven temp one first, then when it comes out, I lower the temp and put whatever is the next one in. I did that at Christmas, with different casseroles and dressing and stuff. I also have a small countertop toaster oven that I can use in a pinch. Most of the time, especially if I'm just roasting veggies and cooking chicken or fish or whatever, I just compromise somewhere in the middle and make it work :)

I have watched Downton since the first episode, so it's very near and dear to my heart. I don't know if you can go back to season 1 on the PBS website, hope you can. You can always do a one month trial of Prime and binge watch them, and then cancel it, LOL! And I'm pretty sure my library has the box set DVD's, so you could always check on that. I would definitely want to watch from the beginning, it does follow a timeline. Starts with the sinking of the Titanic, basically :)

Have a great day and weekend!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP