Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Flower and Garden Fest 2015: Round Three

Yikes. I meant to get to this sooner. It's only been nearly two weeks since round three took place. Sheesh.

So, picking up after Saturday's round two, Daniel and I met up on Sunday for additional Festing. Since Daniel was limited on his days to Fest (unlike yours truly), we headed for the places where there were still foods he wanted to try.

FLORIDA FRESH


Blueberry and Lemon Curd Tart.

OMG. This may be one of the best things I have ever consumed. Lemon and berries is one of my favorite flavor combinations, so this was bound to be a hit. The flavors were bold but not overwhelming. The texture was *perfect*. And there was a secret layer of blueberries long the bottom as well. My one and only complaint was the thickness of the crust: it prevented it from getting soggy, which is always appreciated, but it was nearly impossible to cut through with just a plastic knife and fork. I was fearful I was going to launch this deliciousness right off my flight each time I tried to chisel through the crust and that was just not going to be ok with me. I should be clear, though. This would not prevent me from ordering this again.


Still being early in the day, I decided to stick with fruity, when we moved along to...

HANAMI


Frushi (fresh pineapple, strawberry, and melon rolled with raspberry coconut rice, sprinkled with toasted coconut, with whipped cream on the side).

They've offered this all three years since adding Outdoor Kitchens to the Fest. I get this every time. It's light and fresh. And it's a fun twist on sushi. And I get to practice using chopsticks. I win!


After that, I was ready for something a little more substantial.

URBAN FARM EATS


Ghost Pepper Dusted Tilapia with Crisp Winter Melon Slaw and Mint Oil.

It's kind of funny, because just a day earlier, when we rode Living with the Land, I wondered aloud to Daniel what winter melon was like. I didn't even realize it was on one of the Fest menus! Verdict: I think it was good, but they were so generous with the dusting of ghost pepper that my taste buds were screaming for mercy and I'm not really sure I got a good enough taste before I scorched them. I had this dish last year, too, and it wouldn't have been this potent or I wouldn't have gotten it again. I don't know if I just got an anomaly or if they kicked it up a notch (or four) for 2015.


I needed to cool my mouth. I practically sprinted toward...

PINEAPPLE PROMENADE


Frozen Desert Violet Lemonade.

I like this beverage. It's refreshing, both in temperature and flavor. The lemon is toned down a bit by the violet, which softens the tartness more than sweetens it. I am a fan. (I did not eat the violet. Daniel did, though. He said it tasted like lettuce.)


One more stop before Daniel needed to get going to the airport. And, to be honest, I was still mildly full from the day before, so I was about out of space.

LOTUS HOUSE


Vegetable Spring Rolls. Beijing Style Candied Strawberries.


The spring rolls were another item from last year's menu, and simple as they are, they are worth getting again. They are filled with veggies and they have a crispy jacket (and barely greasy, even though they are fried!), but the star remains that mysterious sauce. They never mention it nor identify it in any way, but it is delicious and, therefore, make an otherwise simple dish extraordinary. We also split the strawberries, which I had considered and passed up the past two years. I couldn't figure out if that coating was going to be sticky or too thick or who knows what, but that crisp candy shell was super thin and just added a little crunch to the berries, which were perfect and sweet and juicy.


Quite a satisfying round. I believe I have one more left to go, which I will probably tackle after Easter. Stay tuned!

0 with their own thoughts:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP