Friday, October 21, 2005

on friendship

unless you know me really really well, you'd probably be shocked to know that i am unbelievably shy. i cover it up well with a smile & a pleasant demeanor but in actuality, being in a situation where i'm surrounded by a lot of people i don't know makes me very very quiet. i'm not exactly sure why. i guess i just don't feel particularly interesting or charismatic enough to engage a bunch of strangers in lively conversation. so i disguise myself as more of a listener with a cheerful smile.

until i get to know you. then (as 4 people i am rather fond of & one total stranger can attest to from this past weeked) i become silly unfiltered Dawn. =P LOL...a "had to be there story" i assure you. anyway...

it's not that my lack of conversational skills indicates that i'm aloof or unfriendly. i just don't open myself up that quickly. i'll answer questions and throw in a comment or two but i'm not one to initiate or take the lead in a conversation. i'm more reserved than that. (i know some of you are dying a slow, laughter-induced death here because you've forgotten or maybe even never seen that side of me but yes it's true.) on the contrary, while remaining quiet & unobtrusive, i know that i am still warm & friendly--i just can't help it if i don't have much to say.

are you wondering where am i going with this & what on earth this has to do with friendship? well...as a result of being shy & quiet, i don't jump right out there & become the life of the party...subsequently never being crowned little miss popular when it comes to having a large circle of friends. add to this the fact that i have very little patience for the petty & vindictive nature so many females i've encountered possess & you can start to see why i am not one of those girls who has 8 million girlfriends...and how i don't go out & make new friends on a daily basis. in fact, of the people i consider to be my friends, most of them are either people i have known for more than a decade or someone that i met as a result of the "mutual friend" phenomenon.

in my adult life, i have gotten a little bit better at putting myself out there & have been lucky enough to make some really awesome new friends all on my own. i'm proud of me for that. but even more i am proud that these amazing people have found me worthy of being *their* friend. typically slow to reveal my true "Dawn-ness", it shouldn't be shocking that i don't "click" immediately with very many people--something that is a result of my shyness as opposed to being a reflection on anyone else. but it's a big deal to me when i find a new friend that really gets me, someone i feel instantly comfortable with. i've suddenly found that the people i truly call "friend" has grown & that makes me feel so lucky.

so to my friends, new & old...you know who you are & you know that i love you dearly. and i am so glad i let my guard down enough to allow you to become such an important part of my life.

9 with their own thoughts:

Anonymous,  Friday, October 21, 2005 6:41:00 AM  

i love unfiltered dawn!!!!!!!

Heather Friday, October 21, 2005 9:21:00 AM  

Well, even though we are still getting to know each other, I am still glad that we "met"! :)

Ciao!

Jamie Friday, October 21, 2005 11:20:00 AM  

Dawn you are the cutest. I love that you are so cute! I'm surprised you are so shy! It just makes you even more adorable in my book! :)

Anonymous,  Friday, October 21, 2005 11:26:00 AM  

I totally know what you mean about other girls being, well, not nice. :) (I don't have many friends because of that, too.) Why is that? Friends without drama are a must. :P

*krystyn* Friday, October 21, 2005 1:21:00 PM  

We've already discussed those "drama filled" girls -which is also why I don't have a plethora of girlfriends either. I love a drama-free life!! So glad we "met" - hopefully we meet in real life one of these days!

Lisa Carroll Friday, October 21, 2005 3:31:00 PM  

WOW, Dawn! You sound like you just described me to a 'T'! LOL Maybe that's why we get along so well. We totally understand where the other is coming from. ;) And I echo everything the other girls here have said, too.

I am definitely proud to call you a "friend" - I think you're awesometastic, girl! :)))
(((HUGS)))

Brooke Lorren Saturday, October 22, 2005 1:03:00 AM  

Well, you're doing better than me, if that makes you feel any better. I haven't yet gotten to the point where I've been able to put myself out there and meet new people.

I totally get the part about being happy when people find me worthy to be their friend though.

I guess I should read your blog more because you sound like a cool person to me. :)

Apostle John Saturday, October 22, 2005 8:06:00 PM  

I'm surprised to learn you are shy. Thanks for sharing about yourself :
)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP