Thursday, August 12, 2010

Genuine.

Some time last week, while I was getting ready for my day, a memory chose to resurface. It isn't the first time it's bobbed to the forefront of my mind. It has lingered persistently, thudding around in my thoughts like a pair of sneakers tumbling in a dryer.

I was in the third grade. We were in art class. We were making these projects that involved creating an image out of tissue paper or construction paper or some such that had been torn into small squares, then glued onto a background, mosaic-like I guess. I don't recall what I made, but I clearly remember a classmate making a slice of watermelon. She had chosen a deep red, a medium pink & a pale pink for the flesh of the melon, in graduating order from darkest to lightest, from the top to the bottom, and a lighter & darker green for the rind. She had brown pieces scattered across the melon for seeds. I admired it.

And then I told her so.

Her response has stuck with me. (Clearly, if I am still thinking about it more than a quarter century later.) She didn't even look up from her project as she said, "You're just saying that so I will compliment yours."

That was it. That was all she had to say.

I was taken aback. I hadn't been fishing for praise. I don't even think that doing such a thing had ever, to that point in my young life, crossed my consciousness. I fell silent again, mulling her reply. And week after week, as we marched into the art room, I would glance at her watermelon hanging on the wall, and I would contemplate what she had said. Every time I replayed her words in my head, it stung.

I've learned in my many years since that day, that people often don't have the most sincere intentions, even when they appear to be doing or saying something nice. They ask how we are because it's socially polite. When someone compliments us, we suspect ulterior motive. They smile to our face and turn right around to throw us under the bus or gossip before we've even fully left the room. I guess, maybe, this childhood classmate of mine had learned this lesson far earlier than I did. Perhaps she had been exposed to it before I ever was. Perhaps she had learned to engage in such behavior entirely on her own. But until the day she uttered the words, it had never even been a possibility to me.

Whatever the case, the moment stayed with me. The instant a singular piece of my innocence was clouded. I never forgot, and daily, I am reminded.

I won't say that I am perfect at it, because that would be mighty hypocritical of me, but I try very hard to be as genuine as I can. I want to be genuine. I want people to be able to take me at my word, without wondering what my angle is. I want my compliments to be taken as sincere. I want my concern to be unquestioningly heartfelt. I want people to think I am kind, because that is who I truly am, and not just a front put on for show. And though it isn't my proudest moment, if someone does something to hurt me or pushes my buttons one too many times, I don't fake nice; I am genuinely standoffish. (My Gram did teach me well: "If you don't have anything nice to say, keep your mouth closed.") (Not to be confused with my generally quiet nature. I like to think there is an obvious difference between the two.) I don't always get it right, but I sure do give it my best shot.

I don't ever want to be the girl I was falsely assumed to be at eight years old. Come to think of it, maybe this is why I'm lukewarm to watermelon even now...

6 with their own thoughts:

Janet Friday, August 13, 2010 11:49:00 AM  

I was wondering if you'd say you didn't care for watermelon. Sigh...I'm sorry you had to go through that.

~**Dawn**~ Friday, August 13, 2010 12:40:00 PM  

Janet: It was a lesson learned, even if it was unpleasant. Hopefully one that's served me.

Samantha Monday, August 16, 2010 11:10:00 AM  

this reminds me of the first day of kindergarten. i had cried my way all the way up to the classroom and when i finally calmed down and settled in, the whole class sat around the piano to sing "This land is your land". There was a girl sitting right in front of me who turned around and told me to stop staring at her. I never realized people could be so mean. And I wasn't even staring at her- I was watching the teacher play piano. Maybe that girl is the reason I cried every day of school until I finally graduated in 1994. Who knows. But I never did come to like her and I still wonder why she acted that way... And if she even realizes what an impact she made on my life (at the age of 5) and my outlook towards people.

~**Dawn**~ Monday, August 16, 2010 11:14:00 AM  

Samantha: Sometimes it surprises me that we are so much alike! I wish we had known back in high school. =) I think I was too overwhelmed & shy to notice.

Samantha Monday, August 16, 2010 6:09:00 PM  

it's funny how we sat in front of or in back of each other for 4 years and never really spoke. (actually, it makes perfect sense considering how similar we are!)

~**Dawn**~ Monday, August 16, 2010 6:31:00 PM  

It's funny & very telling, Samantha!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP