Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mission San Juan Capistrano

when i went out to visit Nichole & Daniel this past time, just after Christmas, we went to see one of California's missions: San Juan Capistrano. i had never seen any of the missions before, but it was very cool to see history as old as what i had grown up with in New England. it's funny, but i don't ever really think about what was going on over on the West Coast during those times. we spend so much time learning about the Pilgrims and the Revolutionary War, but we really don't think much about the western side of our country before the first pioneers loaded up their wagons to settle it. i know that this period of history wasn't *American* on the West Coast but you would think we would still learn more about what was going on in that space which would become ours one day.

i'm on a tangent.

how about some photos of the mission now. the weather was gorgeous and the mission grounds were absolutely fascinating.













"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us, or we find it not."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

19 with their own thoughts:

Anonymous,  Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:44:00 PM  

Wow, I went there when I was a little girl. I loved hearing about the swallows that migrate each year I remember.

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, January 20, 2009 12:47:00 PM  

There were so many amazing things there. Like the pits they uncovered where the tallow was melted. And the beds that the soldiers slept on. The whole thing was so fascinating!

kreed Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:51:00 PM  

How beautiful! And I am so jealous of that sunny weather!

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, January 20, 2009 3:03:00 PM  

It really was beautiful and my photos nowhere near do it justice.

Anonymous,  Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:30:00 PM  

Such gorgeous shots, Dawn! Breathtaking!

Reverend Ref + Tuesday, January 20, 2009 10:47:00 PM  

My family lived in the Bay Area when I was 8-12. I remember that in the 4th grade we had to pick a mission and build it out of sugar cubes, and then we had to spray it with AquaNet (or some other equally strong hairspray) to keep the ants off it.

And I swear . . . I only ate a couple cubes during the building process . . . really.

Nichole M Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:48:00 AM  

The missions are one of my favorite parts of living here. Would you believe that those photos are still on my camera? hmmm... yeah. You probably do. ;-)

Scott Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:48:00 AM  

The only thing I've heard about it is the birds, and yet not one bird in the pictures. lol They return in March, right? First day of spring?

Jeanne Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:04:00 PM  

Beautaiful all but I particularly love the one with the archways.

Anonymous,  Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:23:00 PM  

wow, those pictures are beautiful. i can't believe the color of the sky in the first one.

Anonymous,  Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:08:00 AM  

i love these...i grew up going to the mission....my mom loved this place...i should hunt down some photos of me playing there in the early 80s

Debi Thursday, January 22, 2009 6:31:00 AM  

Absolutely beautiful photos, Dawn! Just gorgeous!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:53:00 AM  

I would love, love to see history like that. Fascinating stuff, and very unlike the history I'm accustomed to (you're used to Pilgrims and Revolutionary stuff, I'm used to Civil War stuff). Maybe one day we'll get to visit out West and see things like this. Your pictures are wonderful, just gorgeous :)

marianne Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:43:00 PM  

oh wow, so beautiful! your photos are gorgeous!

Reverend Ref + Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:45:00 PM  

And maybe someday you'll come out to Montana and see some Old West history . . .

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:33:00 PM  

Thank you for all your kind words. =)

Rev: I would love to see that part of the country too. When it's not Winter. ;-) So I have what? About 6 weeks in July & August to check it out? Which mission did you build, do you remember?

Nichole: No, I'm not really surprised. But I still love ya. =D

Scott: I know that they return the same time every year, but darned if I remember when they sad that was... I know it wasn't while we were there though! There is *one* bird in one of the photos. Not a swallow, but definitely a bid. In fact, he was the focal point of the photo. You may have to look closely though. ;-)

Erin: There is just something about clear, cool, breezy days that seem to result in the bluest skies. =)

Stacy: Absolutely positively worth visiting!

Reverend Ref + Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:17:00 PM  

So I have what? About 6 weeks in July & August to check it out?

LOL . . . that's about right. Most of June through August is good. Can get nasty hot sometimes, but it's a dry heat. May and September can also be very nice, but most of the entertainment is closed in those months.

Which mission did you build, do you remember? DUDE . . . that was like 35 years ago! All I remember is that it was a mission and it involved sugar cubes and hairspray.

gail@more than a song Friday, January 23, 2009 9:18:00 AM  

So pretty, and I love that gorgeous blue sky!

~**Dawn**~ Monday, January 26, 2009 12:07:00 PM  

Rev: Given where I live, heat doesn't scare me unless it is accompanied by 125% humidity. ;-)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP