Wednesday, June 11, 2008

flutterfly*

i saw a Monarch buttefly float by my car on a Summer breeze while i waited at a traffic light on my way home from work. i thought to myself that it had been a long time since i'd seen a butterfly.

::ponder::

is it that there are suddenly fewer butterflies? or have i just not taken the time to notice them?

*when i first learned to talk, one of my first words was "flutterfly", which translates to "butterfly", of course.

20 with their own thoughts:

VTek Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:18:00 PM  

That was a nice thing to see at a traffic light. I think there are less butterflies around these days.

Jeanne Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:32:00 PM  

I think they are going the way of bees and less plentiful than they used to be. It is such a nice thing to watch one.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:45:00 PM  

I've thought the same thing. Especially since I got my new camera and would love to photograph one. I have lots of flowers in my yard, but rarely a butterfly.

I think they've gone the same way as fireflies and even grasshoppers around here. I rarely see any of them anymore, either.

Have a good evening :)

Ted D Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:18:00 PM  

Dawn, Rakes asked me the other day where the butterflies live so he could see one.

So it may just not be you.

Rebecca Wednesday, June 11, 2008 10:13:00 PM  

I dont know about FL but it's a little early to see them up here. I tend to see them often in August/Sept. timeframe.

It's always a little magical when I do see one. :)

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:09:00 AM  

Stacy: I have never seen grasshoppers or fireflies down here but I used to see them all the time when I lived in Connecticut.

Ted: I am a little worried about what Rakes wants to do to a butterfly now. LOL!

Rebecca: I had not thought of that! It's so warm down here that it feels like August & I think I forget that it's only June on the calendar. I will have to keep my eyes open as the Summer progresses!

Ted D Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:53:00 AM  

Dawn,

He just wants to make it his pet and keep it in his room.

So he says.

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:00:00 AM  

I don't know about you, Ted, but that answer makes me very suspicious.

Nichole M Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:05:00 AM  

One day I'd like to go to Pacific Grove for when the monarchs return from their winter's hibernation in Mexico. I've seen pictures but just can't imagine what it would be like in person.

Mom Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:21:00 PM  

My guess is that none of us take enough time to see the butterflies :)

Anonymous,  Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:30:00 PM  

Flutterfly, how sweet! I feel like I hardly ever see butterflies anymore...but maybe like you said, we're not looking? I gotta keep my eyes open for those beautiful creatures!

Julie Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:56:00 PM  

'Flutterfly' reminds me of the Backyardigans (i'm sure Heather can relate I saw Catherine had them for her bday theme)anyway they have this song that Em sings all the time-
Float...... Flutter...... Fly....

Janet Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:37:00 PM  

too many chemicals sprayed for mosquitos which also kills other bugs...

marianne Friday, June 13, 2008 12:26:00 AM  

hmmm, I haven't noticed less around here but sometimes I'm a little slow. ;)

awww - flutterfly - adorable first words.

jenny Friday, June 13, 2008 1:48:00 PM  

Well, sorry guys, but apparently I'm hogging all the flutterflies :)up here in Massachusetts. We've got loads of them.

sue @ postcards from paradise falls Saturday, June 14, 2008 10:40:00 AM  

I love butterflies... but I don't spend a whole lot of time outside when butterflies would be out. LOL.

They had a butterfly display at Epcot when we were there in April, but I never made it there.

My sister is afraid of them.

Rhea Saturday, June 14, 2008 10:57:00 PM  

Flutterfly is such a nice word! I love it. BTW, I like your new banner.

Colleen Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:43:00 AM  

Flutterfly? How cute! I don't see them too often here either. Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Mega Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:02:00 PM  

They most definitely haven't gone away as I had one sitting on my shoulder while waiting for the train last week. I thought they wouldn't have been done with the cocoon stage yet...shows what I know.

Flea Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:59:00 PM  

I think it's just location and observation. We moved from Winter Springs to Tulsa in December of '06 and I saw plenty of butterflies the 11 years we lived in Florida. See plenty of them now. I think it's because I like to putter in the garden, so I'm looking for them.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP