Thursday, January 27, 2011

Red Sox Retrospect 2010: Putting It Into Words

We've finally counted down to those final few weeks before baseball players make their annual Grapefruit-or-Cactus-League-direction trek to begin the process of stretching out those sleepy Winter muscles and dusting off of leather & maple equipment that was tucked away a long three months ago.

Everyone else reflected on the past season in the days & weeks immediately following its abrupt close. I took a different approach, opting instead to digest the 2010 season quietly. And now that we're almost to the starting line of a fresh new season, I am ready to lay my thoughts to rest as a baseball warm-up of my own.

Last season, as a Red Sox fan, was an exercise in extremes. For every incredible high, there was a counter-balancing low. No moment of wonder was allowed to sit for too long without a crushing blow to follow in its wake. It was a season of "almost" and "if only" and yet I loved it as much as every other season. Every frustrating, fearful, fantastic play of it, from the team taking the field for the first time on Opening Day, full of fire & anticipation, to the final war-weary limp off grass and clay in early October, spent & disappointed, but still loving the game with every fiber.

Injuries have healed. Old friends have moved along to the next phase of their stories. An off-season with new names & dramatic unveilings around every corner had fans on their toes, speculating, curious & filled with excitement. I've passed the days watching football, episodes of new television programs and movies, but I am so ready for the comfort of my familiar evening companion: the sights & sounds of Red Sox baseball.

Periodically over the next 18 days, I intend to wax poetic about the 2010 highs, weigh in on the lows, capture my reactions to the Hot Stove acquisitions and record my wishes for 2011. And by the time I have crossed each item off my list, Tek's catcher's mask will be perched atop his head, Jon Lester will be rolling his shoulders in preparation for a game of catch, Pedey will arrive early to get a head start on heckling his teammates and Papelbon will be practicing his "Face of Intimidation" in the mirror.

Two and a half weeks are all that remain between me & my favorite addiction companion.

1 with their own thoughts:

Erin Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:00:00 PM  

I randomnly said out loud the other night, "I MISS BASEBALL!" I cannot wait!!!!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP