Wednesday, December 28, 2005

1 week into winter

this is how it feels outside this morning:

(photo by Peter Welch)

ok so that's really a photo of VA. i said it *feels* like this outside, not it *looks* like this outside. freeze warnings issued for this morning though for those of you who doubt me.

quit laughing. yes we have to be warned that it will freeze.

before you make fun of me, do you like orange juice? do you enjoy not paying $10 for a half gallon of it? then we Floridians need to be warned of these things since the orange crop is about to be harvested & if they freeze, OJ will become scarce. the orange groves have to go through special measures to prevent that from happening. in fact freezes happen at the most inopportune times for orange groves: harvesting through blossoming.

so there.

and by the way. we get frost advisories too. even i think that's funny.

7 with their own thoughts:

Francine Wednesday, December 28, 2005 6:51:00 AM  

Frost in Florida - well whaddayaknow :-).

You should visit Holland for some serious frost. The place freezes up in November, and doesn't thaw until February, sometimes march. Add the really short daylight periods (it gets light around 9 and and dark around 4) and you have a reeeeeeeaaaallly long winter.
The spiked hot chocolate helps, though ;-)

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, December 28, 2005 6:55:00 AM  

LOL Francine! i know i am being a big baby about this. i spent the first 25 years of my life in CT where it was plenty REAL winter for me. it's funny that until you live in FL, you have a notion that it's tropical 365 days a year & then i moved here & found i was sadly misinformed lol...

Beefy Wednesday, December 28, 2005 11:15:00 AM  

I really honestly hate to laugh about this, but you know I am. And not for the reason you think. I'm actually laughing because these last few days it's been in the 50's here. Like, 24 hours of 50 degrees. It's nice. Today I went outside with just a t-shirt on (and pants too sicko lol) and I'm fine. It's actually rather scary.

So if you lose your orange crops, we'll grow them here for you for the time being lol.

Anonymous,  Wednesday, December 28, 2005 1:49:00 PM  

I grew up in Fresno, which is another huge producer of fruits and veggies for the US, including citrus! One year, the temperatures dropped to below freezing. The crops died, people's pipes froze and then burst! I hope it doesn't get that bad for you guys.

Now that I live in sunny southern CA, the temperatures rarely dip below the 50s. That's a little too warm, even for me. In December, you should at least have to wear a coat!

Anonymous,  Wednesday, December 28, 2005 2:12:00 PM  

I knew you couldn't quit whining for long....Its soooo cold out...hurricane season starts in 154 days.....Damn, 287 days till you hit 30, your old....Lets see hurricane season and turning 30 going on at the same time...This year is going to be brutle (sp?)

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, December 28, 2005 2:18:00 PM  

i didn't say 30 was bad! i'm counting down to it--maybe i'm looking forward to the next decade of my life. can't be worse than my 20s if you ask me. =P and some of my favorite people are older than 30 so i'm not scared of a little number.

and on the contrary for hurricanes--i am actually being optimistic & celebrating the number of days WITHOUT hurricanes!! =P

quit picking on my age or i'll ask you how old YOU are! =O LMAO!!

Anonymous,  Wednesday, December 28, 2005 2:32:00 PM  

You can ask how old I am..I'm 27...turning 30 isnt' even a thought for me yet.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP