Monday, August 29, 2005

lightening the mood...

....as things have been so tense & serious. also lazy though so instead of my own thoughts, i am sharing an excerpt from one of my all-time favorite books: Couplehood by Paul Reiser.

...even if you woke up every morning & heard nothing but the birds and the love in your heart, there's still one moment every morning that's unavoidable and invariably gets your day going wrong.

You know how you get out of bed, drag your feet into the bathroom, flip on the light and stand in front of the mirror? You know how you squint your eyes and look? That. That's the big mistake. Looking in a mirror that early in the day.

It's always a disappointment, no matter who you are. You just see your reflection and think, "That's not what I was hoping for. I could have sworn I was better looking than that. I must be thinking of someone else."

Nobody looks in the mirror and goes, "That's about right." They always start fixing, moving their hair, tucking their cheeks..."No, that's not working either." So you go into the shower, you soap up, clean up, fluff up, dress up, take another look: "Nope, still not working."

It's the face. Something scientific happens to your face when you sleep. You go to bed normal, you wake up--you have no face. The features have gone away while you slept. I think it has to do with the earth's rotation. As the earth revolves, facial features move with it, so that while you sleep, your face is in Europe. Because there are only a finite number of faces, and if the Europeans go to work with no face, it looks bad for them. So this way everybody gets a shot.

I think it's all nature's way of keeping us humble. At night, you're thinking of your problems, you're thinking of yourself. "How come this didn't work out? How come I live the life I do?"

You wake up, you look in the mirror, and you go, "That's why! I have no facial features and a T-shirt with orange juice stains from 1983." It gives you perspective.

and with that, i bid you a good night. here's to having facial features when we look in the mirror tomorrow morning. or at the very least, a renewed perspective.

1 with their own thoughts:

*~*Michelle*~* Tuesday, August 30, 2005 7:03:00 AM  

I love Paul Riser -- it is realistic comedy that you can relate to!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP