Friday, January 31, 2014

What I Learned in January: 2014

1. Rejection doesn't get easier to feel as you get older. Sure, you may have learned better coping skills. You may learn to handle it with a bit more grace (sometimes). You likely won't collapse on a fainting couch, the back of one hand dramatically pressed to your forehead, with all the teenage angst you can muster, mourning the fact that you can't imagine how life will go on. But it still stings and it still makes you sad. Especially when the rejection comes from a place you never thought it would.

2. I romanticize snow days. I love the idea of being tucked cozily indoors, with a crackling fireplace, and a steaming mug of some warm beverage close by, as the world outside my window is blanketed in a million flakes of crystallized water. But the truth is that I like it from afar. I have no actual desire for that to be the sum of my winter.

3. It is amazing how quickly you get used to a ginormous shower. I've had bathrooms, most of my life (read: the vast majority of 35 years not living in the place we presently call home) that could probably fit *inside* my current master bath shower, and they always served the purpose for which they were designed. But now that I've tasted nearly two years of a shower bigger than most of those previous bathrooms, it's been a real challenge downsizing to the normal-sized shower in our main bath while T gives our master bath a major overhaul.

4. Despite their claim otherwise, M&Ms *do* melt in your hand. Or at the very least, their candy shells will. And they will stain your hand a variety of (often seasonally appropriate) colors when they do.

5. My To Do List suffers tremendously when it's chilly. Chilly weather makes me decidedly unmotivated to do anything but burrow under a fuzzy blanket or three. We had a good run of cooler than normal Florida temperatures (not that I am complaining at all!) as the Polar Vortex pressed down into even the deep south.  The idea of emerging from my nest of warm blankies to do things like fold towels dust ceiling fan blades was unappealing on a grand scale.

Every month, Chatting at the Sky shares what she learned. Big things and little things. Life lessons from the serious to the silly. I've decided I want to participate. Just another means of capturing who am I along this broken little road called life.


0 with their own thoughts:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP