Thursday, April 1, 2010

Memory Lane: April 1, 2010



I cannot believe these photos were taken twenty years ago. Seriously. SERIOUSLY.

Seriously?

Ok, I'm over it. Well, no, I'm not, but for the sake of the post.

I actually almost didn't get to be confirmed with my class. I had a horrible awful terrible case of chicken pox. (That my brother gave me. My brother who had a grand total of, like, eight pox. I had about eight bajillion. And it was a warmer than typical April. I was miserable. I missed two weeks of eighth grade.) But they decided that as long as I wasn't still breaking out in new pox, I could go to church, get confirmed & then go home again.

The way my childhood church did confirmation, you got confirmed on Palm Sunday, and then, as a group, received your first Communion on Maundy Thursday. I always thought that was well-planned. Very meaningful & symbolic & all that. I still remember my chosen Bible verse: "I am with you always, even to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20) We were given a little prayer book as well. I still have it in my cabinet, along with the Catechism & the hymnal my Gram & Dad, respectively, received for their Confirmations.

I look at that photo, most of those faces, the kids I went to school with for the first ten years of my education. And I can't believe how young we were. Or how much time has passed.

Twenty years.

Twenty.

The pastor to my left in the photo, not looking at the photo), Pastor Yops--I used to babysit his kids. They are 30, 28 and 25 now. I'm pretty sure my head just exploded. That girl standing there had no idea just how quickly it all flies by...

6 with their own thoughts:

Samantha Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:17:00 PM  

hmph. that unhappy boy over your left shoulder appears to be my ex-husband. small world. (or perhaps i should say *small town* ;)

penuttpie Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:59:00 PM  

love the pictures ;)
so cool that you have these memories and pictures to go with it.

~**Dawn**~ Friday, April 02, 2010 10:02:00 AM  

Samantha: At first I was thinking "Theo? Nah, he looks too happy. Matt? Really??" And then I realized that was my *right* shoulder in the photo. =P Wow... small world/town/whatever is right. Hmph, indeed.

G: Yeah, they are some interesting photos, that's for sure. ;-) All photos have a story though! (Hence scrapbooking, right??) I'm just doing my best to capture the stories here (my goal is to eventually print my blog into books by year) so that they aren't lost. =)

Samantha Friday, April 02, 2010 7:10:00 PM  

left/right have never been my strong point and when i was leaving the comment, i stumbled over how to say it! i knew he was to the right side of you but it was your body's *left* shoulder. and i couldn't find the right words! haha.

Anonymous,  Thursday, April 08, 2010 12:16:00 AM  

Ah, the chicken pox! I remember the exact same thing, though I think our sister gave them to my brother and I. I was so sick as I was 15 and post-puberty and had them EVERYWHERE. And I mean that, the ones down my throat were the worst. My brother just had them on his scalp and was outside kicking balls around while I was dying in my bed.

~**Dawn**~ Friday, April 09, 2010 9:01:00 AM  

Samantha: I think the toughest part is that you don't know how to specify whether you mean left as you're looking at the photo or the left of the person when they were actually *in* the photo. LOL!

thisgirl: It was miserable having them in the 8th grade too. Everyone else had already had them & I don't think there was a square inch of my body unaffected. The ones on my eyelids were awful.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP