Tuesday, May 13, 2008

we were on a break

i know i didn't warn you and i apologize but i didn't realize it was happening until i came back.

besides, Gram always said "if you don't have anything nice to say..." ;-)

and i didn't.

i was mad at Lugo (whose new nickname just might have to be E6! tryin' it on for size) but what else is new -- the guy can't even get injured right, but suffers a mild concussion from a kick in the head & ended up riding pine instead of taking a trip to the DL. i was annoyed with Papelbon for blowing two straight saves, which, yes, unfair but still. i was already chalking up losses since the Sox were going to be stuck in the artificial lighting of the Metrodome, where history shows they rarely fare well (56-78 i believe their overall record is).

let's just say, i was not "in a good place". but now we're moving along to Baltimore and The Commander is taking the hill tonight and (sorry Bart) i am hoping we beat out our Minnesota frustrations all over the Orioles for two games. and then we'll take a day off before tackling some inter-league play this weekend. what do you say?

16 with their own thoughts:

Anonymous,  Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:33:00 PM  

I say right on! I may still disagree with you on whether it's right to tag that first blown save in Jon, but it was frustrating nonetheless. "E6" - I love it. I am having this mental image of Lugo strapped in a chair, Clockwork Orange style, with dozens of video monitors playing his errors over and over and a somber voice intoning, "You are E6. You are E6."

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:42:00 PM  

Daniel: Jon deserves part of the blame. He was responsible for the runner that was already on base who later scored. The first one isn't *all* his fault but he definitely contributed. I must cast blame fairly. Believe me, if I could justify blaming it entirely on E6, you know I would. ;-)

Janet Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:59:00 PM  

I saw a Baltimore Oriole (the bird) in Boston this weekend and thought to myself...I wonder if they're allowed ;-)

Anonymous,  Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:10:00 PM  

Janet,
Of course orioles are allowed in Boston. It's only fair, considering how Red Sox Nation flocks so aggressively to Camden Yards. Must be discouraging for them to play 18 games every year in front of hostile Red Sox crowds. Same phenomenon in Tampa, right, Dawn?

Brian in Oxford Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:33:00 PM  

I await your no-more-Jules post.

And E6 was Bill Simmons' nickname for ESPN6, the station he'll end up running some day, and he already code-named THAT one "Nomar" four years ago.

Ted D Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:42:00 PM  

Dawn, I was wondering where you'd been! "He can't even get injured right" LOL!!

He really gets to you, doesn't he?!

On to Baltimore, where I have full confidence the Commander won't let us down.

Jeanne Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:19:00 PM  

I love interleague play. I'm really a national league gal and it's cool when the lines cross over.

Bart Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:19:00 AM  

To all your commenters about the invanding fans: according to O's fans after the game, it was about 70-30 O's fans, so nyah. Maybe it was because it was a weekday, but still.

Also, scoreboard.

Also, I like the guy, but someone should tell Ortiz that you never ever flip the bat in any context in any way near the umpire, but especially not right after an argument. You might as well say the magic word. It'll get you tossed every time,and maybe even suspended or fined. He'll probably just get fined, though, since there was clearly no intent, he just got frustrated and wasn't paying attention.

Bart Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:24:00 AM  

Also, I like your breed of Sox fan better than most. This was posted by one of "the most" at the infamous SoSH site:

"Just got back from the game. Great seats, but the Sox ruined my ****ing night along with the obnoxious Orioles fans around me. They ****ing screamed their heads off like it was a playoff game. Have some ****ing pride."


Are you kidding me? You guys habitually come to OUR park, act like it's yours, and finally we start standing up to you and we have no pride? IN OUR OWN PARK? I bet you dollars to donuts had it been the other way around the guy would have been like "boy those O's fans were quiet and timid. We owned that place. They should have some pride."

These are the guys that give your Red Sox Nation such a bad rap, Dawn. You need to have a talk to them, because I hate to break it to ya...but the Red Sox, and their fans, are starting to, if it hasn't happened already, supplanting the Yankees as most hated.

Anonymous,  Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:06:00 AM  

Bart,
Both teams have some obnoxious fans. I've been to Yankee Stadium enough times to know that. As far as Yankee fans not being hated as much as Red Sox fans anymore, it's because their team is no longer as relevant as it once was. I don't mean that to sound arrogant, but it's true. Same with the Patriots: this nation loves record-breaking performances. So why were most people rooting *against* them to go 19-0? It wasn't just Spygate; people were just sick of 'em, just like they got sick of the Yankees in the late '90s and are maybe getting sick of the Sox now. In general, sports fans want to see someone new succeed. All teams have obnoxious fans, but extended success always makes them less tolerable in the public eye. Just my thoughts, anyway.

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:16:00 AM  

Lisa: Perhaps part of my motivation was the fact that you've blogged more than I have. LOL! (I jest!)

Janet: Sure they're allowed. Just no Yanks. ;-)

Joe: It is the same in Tampa. I think it's a little sad when the local boys plead on the news for Rays fans to please come to the game because they hate playing when the stands are a sea of red & all they hear are Sox chants. They don't call it Fenway FL for nothing.

Brian: I'm still in mourning.

Ted: Drives me insane. ;-)

Jeanne: I have a love-hate relationship with it. I like it when we're at home. Not so fond of Papi playing 1B.

J-Dawg: Would you have popped out of the woodwork if they lost? ;-) LOL

Bart: Preaching to the choir, I assure you. I hate obnoxious fans & you will notice that I do my best not to associate myself with them. I do believe some of them are of the bandwagon variety but with others, success does not bring out their better sides. I just try to enjoy the game, have a little goodnatured banter with my friends who root for other ball clubs, and basically be the kind of fan that others can't call obnoxious, overbearing or whiny. As for Papi, I think his argument was that he didn't swing, he was getting out of the way of the pitch. I will give Papi some slack. He doesn't get tossed much. I wish I could get the rest of the Sox fans to act more appropriately, but I am afraid the best I can offer is to be myself.

Joe: I do agree with you that their success factors into other fans' dislike. As a fan of a consistently successful team, you have to expect it. I just wish we (in general) as fans could remember that it is important to handle both winning & losing gracefully. And like I said to Bart, unfortunately with success come bandwagon-ers. And they tend to have some of the largest & most obnoxious mouths.

Mom Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:43:00 AM  

Hey Dawn,

Thanks for your kind words yesterday, all is well and we are back to normal!

Bart Wednesday, May 14, 2008 12:49:00 PM  

Yes, Joe, I was mainly referring to the bandwagon-ers. The ones that couldn't tell you who played third for you guys in 88, that sort of fan.

It's not a jealousy thing, that's the same argument Yankee fans used to throw in both our faces for years. It's a disdain for obvious bandwagoners, especially ones who disrespect an opposing players home turf.

But not all of them are the bandwagoners. There was a transplanted Bostonian in my apartment building a couple years ago, and he was just an obnoxious jerk.

Anonymous,  Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:16:00 PM  

I don't disagree with any of that. But I wasn't implying jealousy, just the tendency to be sick of seeing a team on top for awhile combined with seeing that team's more obnoxious fans being, well, obnoxious about it. It's ugly no matter who you root for.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP