Wednesday, May 7, 2008

all for nothing

i was so dialed in tonight.

first, as God is my witness, when Lowell didn't come up with that play in the middle of the game & was all annoyed with himself, i said he would make up for it by hitting a home run. and he did. a 3-run blast to tie a game in which we had constantly been scratching & clawing just to keep it within reach.

second, when Jeemer got into trouble in the home half of the eighth, with only one out, i called the double play, and a split second later, strike-em-out throw-em-out thank-you-very-much. Sox head to the ninth, leading the game for the first time. 9-8.

and then the one thing i have said all freaking season (and all of last season too) had to rear its ugly head. Lugo collected his tenth error (it's only May 7!!), dropped the ball -- literally!! -- and the Tigers went on to win the game.

that scream of rage you heard was me. if JFL should come up missing overnight, i... don't know what you're talking about.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

it brings me hope to hear that Lowrie gets to stay in Boston even with Cora's return from the DL. the player who must be sent down has not yet been revealed, and it most likely won't be the Human Void, but the fact that Lowrie gets to stay just brings me one step closer to the execution of The Master Plan. it's got nothing to do with loving the uniform -- and i think i proved that last season when i pulled for Gagne every time he got the call and i am pretty sure i was the only one who was, long before the regular season ended -- but i am tired of Lugo's body filling one of the uniforms i root for. i will celebrate the successes he manages to have every now & again, as they benefit the team, but his days better be numbered. i can't take too much more of this. he has me so riled up, i didn't even wait til morning to compose this entry so i could add some photos to my post. =P

7 with their own thoughts:

Anonymous,  Thursday, May 08, 2008 1:48:00 AM  

If they really *are* keeping him around for the money they spent on him, it is a STUPID thing to do. Any economist will tell you that it's money that is already spent. It's gone. Get over it.

And send JFL to the minors. Or to Mordor. Or to the Twilight Zone. Just get him off the field when the boys are trying to win a game.

Anonymous,  Thursday, May 08, 2008 9:52:00 AM  

There are no words left. I shared them with you live last night!

Anonymous,  Thursday, May 08, 2008 10:13:00 AM  

Maybe Hank'll take him in exchange for another ratty Ortiz jersey. Or cut out the middleman completely and auction off JFL to benefit the Jimmy Fund. Maybe some municipal softball league will pony up -- you know, one of those leagues where errors are OK as long as you don't spill your beer.

JMP Thursday, May 08, 2008 1:16:00 PM  

When LUGO dropped the ball my first thought was... Dawn must be hitting the ceiling now.... guess I was right!!! And I just knew that was the end, we lost this game....
Did you see the look Paps gave him???? If looks could kill..that was two easy outs the defense (Lugo) blew..
Its plain to see that while he is an asset at times his errors are erasing the good plays.

One thing I do not agree with you on is that he does not care. This whole season he has been more animated when he strikes out at the plate, argues more strike calls and grumbles more when he makes an error. You just have to watch him and you see he does care and wants to improve....... now the dirt bag called Gagme he would blow a lead and walk off the mound smiling!!!!
I am not a LUGO fan, don't dislike him either, but at least he is trying unlike Gagme who got a WS ring and $ while on other peoples coat tails!!! The Red Sox won last year in spite of the bum. ( He stinks in Milwaukee too!!)

Rooster Thursday, May 08, 2008 4:27:00 PM  

I thought the same thing when Lugo dropped the ball - I listened out my window to see if I could hear Dawn's screams from Florida!

I believe the Sox are carrying 13 pitchers right now. When Cora is added, I expect a pitcher to go from the bullpen - Hansen is a likely candidate, but not necessarily him. Could be Tavarez or Delcarmen? We'll see - but definitely a pitcher.

Ted D Thursday, May 08, 2008 9:12:00 PM  

Dawn, late to the party, and yes Lugo made a error at the worse possible time. BUT, the fact we left men on base all night, Buchholz and Yo Yo couldn't hit water if they fell out of the boat, and general sloppy play played a part as well. Lugo was just the final nail in the coffin.

And yes, I do this just to get a rise out of you. ;)

Bickley Friday, May 09, 2008 3:10:00 AM  

Aha. I didn't know about the error until I read this. That explains a lot. See, it was 8-4 when I went to take my nap. Of course, I never give up on the Sox, so I didn't know what to expect when I got to work. Logged on and saw the 10-9 score and almost fainted. I didn't read the wrap, so I didn't know about the Lugosity. Now that you mention it, I did hear a kind of wailing scream come from the east when I was driving to work... :-)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP