closing your windows for the night so the house doesn't get damp...and seeing Christmas lights glittering on the house across the street. there are some things about FL that this CT girl will never grow accustomed to i think. no matter how long i live here. i see Christmas lights and i expect to feel Jack Frost nipping at my nose & see my breath forming clouds in front of me. not having my windows open cause it's too darn hot in the feaking house.
Sunday, November 27, 2005
can't talk football tonight. sure the 2 picks i was nervous about making went in my favor even though the Texans game was very very close. but my Patriots & my Packers lost. and i am sad. =(
I say ... and you think ... ?
Stuffed:: can't eat another bite
Bruise:: what i often have from banging various parts of my person on various sharp corners on my desk at work
Content:: how i felt the other night
Scrambling:: rushing around to get something done (how i suspect packing this house is about to go)
Batlle:: you mean 'battle'?? like as in war?
Extended:: made longer
if the Browns & Texans win those games i am going to scream because once again i went with better judgement over gut feeling. already sitting at 0-2 after the Turkey Day games (thanks to some misinformation from someone with a vested interest in my losing the football pool--yes i know i'm the dumbass that listened to it), i can't afford to keep dropping games. i'd rather not end in dead last place even if i don't stand a shot at winning. and can i take this opportunity to say it really annoys me that the leader of the pool is currently just opening the newspaper & going with all the favorites every week. that really offends me.
still undecided on the Eagles-Packers game but i still have till 4pm...
Saturday, November 26, 2005
i couldn't join you on the cruise but i was *so* honored & happy to be there with you to celebrate your love for each other this afternoon. may you find sunshine despite what rain may come. may you find laughter to dry any tears. may the sparkle of your new wedding bands shine in your eyes for many many years. and may the love you feel today only grow with each & every day. love you both...
Friday, November 25, 2005
found this one on [under construction]
1. ONE OF YOUR SCARS, HOW DID YOU GET IT? there's one that you'd never see unless i pointed it out to you. it's on the fleshy pad of my palm, just below the thumb, on my left hand. it's a burn scar. when i was a small baby, i was very fussy. my mother was trying to cook some dinner & i wouldn't stop crying so she picked me up. i was still crying when she went to add pasta to a pot of boiling water & i did the arched-back thing that babies do & put my hand right into the pot of boiling water straight to the bottom of the pot. it's amazing but all i have is one very subtle scar & the rest healed perfectly.
2. NAME 7 THINGS IN YOUR ROOM: which room? they are all mine for the most part...ok how about THIS room. a bunch of framed photos of my Catherine-girl. a vanilla scented candle. scrapbook supplies waiting to get packed for the move(s). my Christmas cds. my WDW scrapbook. some empty luggage. this really cool piece of crystallized sand that our phosphate mine sales rep brought back for me from where lightning struck the sand at one of the mines he was selling some of our work to.
3. WHAT DOES YOUR CELL PHONE LOOK LIKE? nope sorry, no cell phone here. much to Michelle's dismay as she is very concerned i could get trapped in It's A Small World with the singing dolls...or get presented with an opportunity to move into Cinderella Castle & not be able to call her.
4. WHAT MUSIC DO YOU LIKE TO LISTEN TO? lots of stuff. everything from country to rock. pop to light rock. alternative to Broadway musical. piano solos to Christmas music.
5. DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME YOU WERE BORN? 10:57am
6. WHAT DO YOU LOOK FORWARD TO THE MOST IN THE NEXT 6 MONTHS? being done with this move
7. WHAT DO YOU MISS? Baby Girl. my CT girls. Autumn in New England. the first snowfall of the year. my grandparents. my Dad. *looks around at all the stuff i need to start packing* being at work (LOL!)
8. WHAT IS YOUR MOST PRIZED POSSESSION? prized?? i don't know that i have anything prized. but my computer is mighty important.
9. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SMELL? freshly showered man. freshly bathed baby. vanilla. apple cinnamon. fresh cut pine. late night or early morning in the Winter in CT. orange blossoms.
10. DO YOU GET CLAUSTROPHOBIC? depends on what or WHO i am closed into a small space with.
11. IF YOU DIED TOMORROW: it would really suck. but it would get me out of packing & moving. (ok i was *kidding* about the 2nd part. i swear. i hate to tempt Fate.)
12. THE LAST PERSON TO MAKE YOU CRY?: me. i was the last person to make me cry. and i don't want to talk about it.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE COLOGNE / PERFUME? for who? on a guy--i have always liked Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch (couldn't even tell you if they make it anymore since i haven't had to buy it in years). for me--i don't wear perfume but i do wear scented lotion from Bath & Body Works, absolute favorite scent is Vanilla Bean Noel.
14. WHAT KIND OF HAIR DO YOU LIKE ON THE OPPOSITE SEX? short. never longer tha mine.
15. WHERE CAN YOU SEE YOURSELF BEING PROPOSED TO AT? at some point i stopped picturing these things. it will happen if/when it happens & the moment will be special. period.
16. DO YOU LIKE PORN? *shrug* not particularly but it doesn't offend me.
17. WHO IS THE LAST PERSON YOU MADE MAD? me. see answer 12. and to make it worse, i cry when i get mad which only serves to make me *more* mad.
18. DO YOU SPEAK A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE? a very very small bit of French & German. i understand *slightly* more than i can speak. neither is very impressive. i'm pretty sure Baby Girl understands more French than i do at this point.
19. WHAT WAS THE FIRST GIFT SOMEONE EVER GAVE YOU? how on earth am i supposed to remember this?? most likely i was not even born yet! the first one that i actually remember though? i got this Crayola Art Caddy made of Crayola-yellow plastic that spun around & had every art supply you could imagine. i loved that thing.
20. WOULD YOU FALL IN LOVE KNOWING THAT THE PERSON IS LEAVING? it takes me way too long to fall in love for that to realistically happen. that sounds like you're talking about someone on vacation or someone is on military leave or something. if it was a situation where you knew someone was leaving in 2 years or something you dated anyway? well i don't think you get to choose who you fall in love with. it just happens. you deal with it later.
21. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TELL SOMEONE HOW MUCH THEY MEAN TO YOU? actions have always meant more to me than words. you can say 100 things you don't really mean. but how you treat them everyday can say volumes.
22. SAY A NUMBER FROM ONE TO A HUNDRED: 43
23. WHAT IS THE LAST TEXT MSG YOU RECEIVED? no cell phone for text messaging remember?
24. WHAT IS THE ONE NUMBER YOU CALL OFTEN? probably...the extension for shipping when i'm at work? i don't call that many people that often. but i am on the phone with shipping all day long confirming purchase order & invoicing information.
25. WHAT ANNOYS YOU MOST? lack of consideration. on any & all levels.
26. HAVE YOU BEEN OUT OF THE US? to Canada when i was in high school. that's it.
27. YOUR WEAKNESSES? i cry when i'm mad no matter how hard i try not to. i hate disappointing anyone for any reason. i can't be confrontational even when i need to be. i hate big crowds of people i don't know. NO PUBLIC SPEAKING. i am terrified of getting hurt emotionally & i think it makes me hold back more than i should. i hate asking for help.
28. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Bristol, CT home of ESPN. and nothing else that i can think of.
29. FIRST JOB? i had a steady babysitting gig when i was 13. every Tuesday & Thursday night from 4-9 and either Friday or Saturday from 3-midnight. $100 a week. cash.
30. WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER, WHAT DID YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU GREW UP? a teacher. a stay at home mom. a horse trainer.
31. WHAT WERE YOU DOING BEFORE YOU FILLED OUT THIS SURVEY? sleeping
32. IF YOU COULD GET PLASTIC SURGERY, WHAT WOULD IT BE? i wouldn't.
33.WHY DID YOU FILL THIS SURVEY OUT? i found it while blog-surfing & i liked that it was completely different & i am one of those strange people who likes these things if they aren't the same 5 that have been floating around since the beginning of the internet.
34. WHAT DO YOU GET COMPLIMENTED ABOUT MOST? my very sunny personality
35. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF ALCOHOL BECAME ILLEGAL? not really care. i could love without the 15 glasses of wine i have a year.
36. WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY? that's a long way away. not that i would have an answer for you even if it was tomorrow. we never did wish lists as a kid so i feel weird telling people what i want now. greedy or something.
37. HOW MANY KIDS DO YOU WANT? 1? 2? more? we'll see how i feel at the time.
38. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? nope but ironically i was supposed to be Megan or Danielle. not sure what happened there. especially since there were a ton of baby Dawns in the hosptial when i was born. they were all Dawn Marie though so i got to be the oh-so-unique Dawn Lynn.
39. DO YOU WISH ON STARS? only real shooting ones
40. IF YOU COULD PUT 5 BANDS TOGETHER TO PLAY A CONCERT, WHO WOULD YOU CHOOSE? ok seriously...i am lame. i have no idea who i would put together & why. i don't even decide this on my mix cds. i just pick songs i like, burn them & hit shuffle on my cd player.
41. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY? last weekend. why are we still talking about this?? i said i didn't want to talk about it...
42. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? when i'm not writing fast & scribbling shorthand, yes
43. WHERE DO YOU WANT TO RETIRE? i have a lot of years left before i even need to start thinking about that. i think here though...with a condo or something in New England.
44. ANY BAD HABITS? tapping my fingers--no one has ever pointed anything else out to me so i can't think of any others at the moment. and no i am not suggesting this be an open forum about my bad habits thanks.
45. WHAT IS YOUR MOST EMBARRASSING CD ON THE SHELF? i'm not embarrassed by any of them. i moved 1200 miles not quite 4 years ago & got rid of anything i didn't absolutely *love*.
46. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON, WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? absolutely. i may screw up a lot of things but i am a GREAT friend.
47. HAVE YOU EVER TOLD A SECRET YOU SWORE NOT TO TELL? probably when i was younger. as an adult if it's that important my lips are sealed.
48. DO LOOKS MATTER? of course they do. the thing is...that open to personal interpretation so what looks fantastic to me you may not look at even once. good thing or we'd all be fighting over the same 5 things all the time ya know?
49. HOW DO YOU RELEASE ANGER? i have a *really* long fuse. it's not pretty when you reach the end of it. there is yelling. oh the yelling. and the tears. (WHY does it keep coming back to me crying in this thing??) i used to be able to just get in my car & drive to cool off. alone time, singing to the radio & some distance cool me off the quickest.
50. WHERE IS YOUR SECOND HOME? there's a couple in CT where the doors are always open.
51. DO YOU TRUST OTHERS EASILY? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *sigh* BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
52. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE TOY AS A CHILD? my Cabbage Patch Kids...and my imagination
53. HOW MANY NUMBERS ARE IN YOUR CELL PHONE? none--no cell phone! hehe
54. DO YOU USE SARCASM? that would be soooo out of character for me *rolling my eyes*
55. EVER BEEN IN A MOSH PIT? yes. once. NOT by my choice. there are some places not meant for 115lb girl. got kicked in the head by some crowd-surfing ass wearing a steel toe boot (not very hard thank God but hard enough to give me a goose egg) because the moron guy i was with was not very protective of me. in fact he was using ME as a shield!
56. WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN A GUY/GIRL? protectiveness. honesty. trust. laughter. the ability to snuggle without acting like i have asked him to cut off an arm. kisses. someone who can make it all better when i need them to. someone who can give me my space sometimes too. (sometimes i guess maybe i am *too* low maintenance...)
57. WHAT ARE YOUR NICKNAMES? D, Trouble, Tinkerbell, Sunshine, Auntie Dawn, Freako
58. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? if the shoes have laces i do. except for my comfy old sneakers.
59. DO YOU THINK THAT YOU HAVE STRONG POINTS? yep. who knows if anyone agrees though lol...
60. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? Edy's Grand Special Edition Girl Scout Cookie: Tagalong
61. What is your shoe size? somewhere between a 7 & an 8 depending on the shoe
62. WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE COLORS? navy blue, silver, barn red
63.HOW MANY WISDOM TEETH DO YOU HAVE? all of 'em
64. WHO DO YOU MISS MOST RIGHT NOW? lol...i miss everybody
65. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS? no one has to. if you do though i wish you would link back to it so i can see!
66. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? the ticking clock, my typing & the growling coming from my stomach
67. LAST THING YOU ATE? a bowl of Moose Tracks frozen yogurt last night. hence the growling stomach mentioned in the previous question.
68. LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? Heather. yesterday. for like 3 hours.
69. IF YOU WERE GIVEN $100, WHAT WOULD YOU GO BUY? ummmm...maybe a few more long sleeve shirts...and some more stuff for the new house that i need. little things. but they add up ya know?
71. WHO DO YOU THINK IS OVERRATED? T.O., Eli Manning, the Tampa Bay Bucaneers
72. FAVORITE DRINK? ice cold water
73. FAVORITE ALCOHOLIC DRINK? white zin...or pineapple & Malibu
74. WHAT ARE YOUR NEW YEARS EVE PLANS?: falls on a Saturday right? i'll be home by myself with the dog in a rental house. woo. hoo.
75. WHERE WAS YOUR LAST VACATION?: to CT
76. WHAT INSPIRES YOU?: song lyrics...other people...myself...whatever.
77. SIBLINGS? almost 26 year old brother Josh; 7 & a 1/2 year old brother Zach
78. FAVORITE MONTH? in FL: March, perfect weather & orange blossoms. in CT: October, perfect weather & Autumn
79. YOU LIKE SUSHI? not particularly. i can eat some of it if i have to.
80. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? in the theater or at home? "Must Love Dogs" and "Serendipity", respectively
81. FAVORITE DAY OF THE YEAR? i'm not partial to any at the moment. they all have potential.
82. ARE YOU TOO SHY TO ASK SOMEONE OUT? i've done it in the past. prefer to be pursued i guess but...LOL. and none of that is important now.
83. SUMMER OR WINTER? none of the above. unless you mean "winter" in FL. *smirk* although i do love looking at snow. =)
84.Kiss or hugs? both. at the same time.
85. RELATIONSHIPS OR ONE NIGHT STANDS? relationships
86. WHAT BOOKS ARE YOU READING? none. i am packing them up remember?
87. WHERE DO YOU WORK? the best company ever
88. WHATS YOUR MAJOR? Child Development
89. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON TV LAST NIGHT? football (stupid ass Cowboys...) and Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, CSI:, and Without a Trace
90. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK WHEN YOU WAKE UP? what day is this...?
Monday, November 21, 2005
i've seen this on a bunch of blogs & kept tucking the idea away to do here. tonight's that night as i am about braindead. the basic idea is to google what you need--for instance i googled "Dawn needs"--and then post the first 10 results. (i did a few more than 10--everything that showed up on the first page, just because several had multiple needs & i can't help it, they amused me.)
1. Dawn needs a reality check. funny i feel like i've had a few too many of those recently...
2. Dawn needs a headcount before Thursday of this week so sign up quick! oddly enough, i do need a headcount but i need it by TUESDAY for the company Christmas party.
3. Dawn needs to make a decision. story of my life...
4. Dawn needs time to work through whatever's got her so scared. i am starting to feel like people really are talking about me here!! yikes.
5. Dawn needs to start checkin’ her girl because it looks like she’s the one playin’ dawn. ummmmm..what?
6. Dawn needs an energetic & fun hairstyle to suit her personality. i already have one of those thanks!
7. Dawn needs a process for expenditures. lol...like being independently wealthy. i think that would work just fine.
8. DAWN needs to set up its own account with Pat as treasurer. first may i state for the record that Dawn is a HER, not an IT. second, i am finding Pat to be just a little bit too bossy & self-serving. maybe Pat for Treasurer is *why* i apparently need a process for expenditures!
9. Dawn Needs to Firm Up Her Group’s Flextime Options. i want to know since when anyone thinks Dawn likes rigid structure of this nature!
10. Dawn needs to develop more speed endurance. correction. Dawn needs no such thing.
11. Dawn needs you. the question here is who exactly is the "you" directed at...
12. Dawn needs to get out of the house, so Spike takes her down to LA. who is Spike & i don't think down is the way to L.A. from here...no matter how badly i need to get out of the house.
13. Dawn needs someone to look after her. actually Dawn is a big girl & can handle looking after herself but thank you for your concern.
go ahead...you know you want to try it too...
we must have lost power for a couple seconds. all i know is that it flicked back on, setting off the house alarm & the doorbell. i'd been dead asleep for almost an hour & just had the bejesus scared out of me. so bad that i am shaking still & it happened over 10 minutes ago.
i suddenly hate sleeping alone.
Sunday, November 20, 2005
i meant to post on Friday but i got so busy at work, it being the crazy busy tripping over roller coaster wheels every time you try to move so much as a half inch, buried up to my eyeballs in invoicing & new orders & purchase order revisions & parts receiving acknowledgements. not to mention my little side project of stalking employees with my camera (and now also my boss's rockin' Canon digital with the telephoto lens!! *lust & drool*) for our oh so entertaining slide show during dinner at the company Christmas party.
so anyway. yeah i was busy.
but GOOD busy. not packing busy. i'm getting to that but right now i'm in the organizing stage of what will go with me & what will be in storage till the final move to the new house.
good things since i last posted:
--went to Magic Kingdom. got there in time to ride in the coveted way up front of the Monorail with the driver. i've done it one other time but never at night before. so very cool. had what turned out to be an exceptionally good hotdog at Casey's Corner. saw Main Street all decked out for the holidays. saw the castle lit up blue with white snowflakes projected on it. so pretty & serene. had a Dole Whip. no further elaboration necessary. walked right onto Peter Pan's Flight. anyone who frequents WDW knows why *that* is a big deal. 10 minute wait for the AstroBlaster. it amazes me that so many people i know who can handle the craziest rides on Disney property, rides that would make me want to lose my lunch at best, don't do well on the AstroBlaster, yet i with the weakest stomach on the Earth? i *love* that ride. especially late at night with the whole park lit up & the chilly air on my face. grand finale of 3 times through Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin with zero wait time. almost no crowd. crisp weather. PERFECT EVENING.l
--talked to Alison for a little over an hour Thursday night. man i love that girl. =)
--stayed in Friday night & just dozed on the couch in front of the tv. needed that after the last week. trust me on this one.
--yesterday, went shopping. bunch of stuff for the new house. TWO new pairs of shoes. was worth the hour & 10 minutes i was in JCPenney & the 6 pairs of brown shoes i had to try on to find the 2nd pair. why? because i saved more on those babies than i actually spent. $58 for $140 worth of shoes. and i LOVE them. then on a whim stopped into Casual Corner to see what was left, what with them clearancing out as they prepare to go out of business. didn't expect to find much. ended up getting TWO pairs of awesome pants for $50 total. if you've ever even browsed in that store, you know that THAT was a major score.
--stopped by the new house to see the progress & holy crap! we have a HOUSE!! like with walls & a roof & a front door, framed interior, bathtubs! maybe Fortune will smile on me & this house really will be done in 10 weeks...*crosses fingers* *thinks about it* *crosses toes too for good measure*
so all in all...busy...but good. today i get my first of 2 Thanksgiving dinners...and i get to watch football.
packing begins in earnest very very soon. *sigh*
I say ... and you think ... ?
Heads up:: pay attention
Kicker:: Adam Vinatieri, New England Patriots
Aggressive:: something i am not
Getting ugly:: taking a turn for the worst
To be continued:: maddening words at a critical tv drama moment
On the road:: ...again
Import:: bring in from the outside
Thursday, November 17, 2005
why do i do this to myself...? you'd think i'd know better by now...
to my girls...because i don't know how to say it all in my own words right now. some of you i've known forever, some a very short time. some i've seen face to face & others i've only so far had the priviledge of talking to. some i talk to a million times a day, others not nearly often enough. some are here in FL with me, some far away. (some in FL are still too far away...) it doesn't matter though--who you are or how i met you, i have the best friends i could ever ask for.
for Heather, Alison, Andie, Gosia, Andi, Jamie, Krystyn, Lisa, Michelle, Chele...you guys just have no idea...and i'm going to get all mushy on you...but you girls keep me sane & i love you for it. i have no clue what i would do without the conversation & the laughter & the understanding. or what i would do without a single one of you.
For all those times you stood by me
For all the truth that you made me see
For all the joy you brought to my life
For all the wrong that you made right
For every dream you made come true
For all the love I found in you
I'll be forever thankful baby
You're the one who held me up
Never let me fall
You're the one who saw me through, through it all...
You gave me wings and made me fly
You touched my hand, I could touch the sky
I lost my faith, you gave it back to me
You said no star was out of reach
You stood by me and I stood tall
I had your love, I had it all
I'm grateful for each day you gave me
Maybe I don't know that much
But I know this much is true
I was blessed because I was loved by you...
You were always there for me
The tender wind that carried me
A light in the dark shining your love into my life
You've been my inspiration
Through the lies, you were the truth
My world is a better place because of you
You were my strength when I was weak
You were my voice when I couldn't speak
You were my eyes when I couldn't see
You saw the best there was in me
Lifted me up when I couldn't reach
You gave me faith 'cause you believed
I'm everything I am
Because you loved me
ok sappiness over...but you guys rock & even if you never read this (and i am 100% certain a few of you never will), i needed to say it, to acknowledge it. you people make me laugh when i need it. let me scream when i need it. set me straight when i need it. send me hugs when i need it. let me talk when i need. let me NOT talk when i need it. you deserve much better than this sappy little blog entry but it's what i've got. i don't like this song as a love song so much...but it so perfectly applies to how i feel about my girls. =)
Wednesday, November 16, 2005
let me introduce myself to you: my name is Dawn. and these are my puppet strings. i'd offer to let you take a turn at making me dance but i'm afraid all the strings have been taken. and quite frankly my arms & legs are tired.
i think i better take my poor attitude off to bed...i'll need my rest for tomorrow's show anyway.
"I believe in long, soft, slow, sweet kisses that last 3 days."
(Kevin Costner in Bull Durham)
that's what i'm talking about...
"When I Get Where I'm Going" by Brad Paisley
"Cheatin" by Sara Evans
and you have no idea how thrilled i was to hear Keith Urban's latest release on the radio on my way home yesterday--my absolute favorite song on his current cd: "Tonight I Wanna Cry".
why do guys say they hate it when girls wear makeup...then they ridicule the girls they think aren't so pretty...or the day you wear minimal makeup, they ask you if you feel ok because you just don't look right??
i think they need to stop the charade. guys DO like makeup. they just don't like it when it's 3" deep.
of course since when do guys ever really say what THEY mean. they just get all huffy when they claim women don't do that.
all right , allright.
Monday, November 14, 2005
in a recent health poll:
90% of women wash up after using the bathroom.
75% of men do.
of those 90% & 75%, how many do you have to suspect were not being truthful. even if it was only 10%...still.
and don't shake my head, k?
here's a few new ones i've been liking (some a little less new but still latest releases):
"Why" by Jason Aldean
"She Don't Tell Me To" by Montgomery Gentry
"You're Like Coming Home" by Lonestar
"Must Be Doing Something Right" by Billy Currington
"Miss Me Baby" by Chris Cagle
"Come A Little Closer" by Dierks Bentley
"Stay With Me" by Josh Gracin
"Better Life" by Keith Urban
Sunday, November 13, 2005
i have to say this was overall one of the better weeks in football this season. some really good games on today--even the Bucs victory, which was exciting, if not the outcome i was hoping for.
we'll start with this simply because it entertains me so:
this is NOT the look of a happy Manning *giggle* poor Eli. i can't figure out if the Vikings won because Culpepper is done & there's some fresh QB at the helm...or if Eli is just reminding us that he's not really ALL that. whatever. i actually dislike this Manning (as opposed to just finding him annoying like i do his big brother) so seeing him taken down a notch was a pleasant thing to watch on my tv this afternoon.
also somewhat amusing from the Vikings-Giants game was this:
if you see no other replay from professional football this week, you have to see Vikings coach Mike Tice getting knocked ass over teakettle by a Giants receiver barreling out of bounds. i think i must be a bit twisted but seeing him fly through the air like that just made me laugh.
in other Manning news:
it would have been nice to see a bit more of that during this past Monday's debacle but a Peyton fumble never ceases to amuse me. he gets to shine so much. it's nice to remind ourselves that he *is* actually human.
if you happen to be in the mood to catch another game highlight, may i suggest the Bears-49ers game. you wanna see some crazy stuff, they don't call Chicago "the windy city" for nothing apparently. i have seen a lot of football games & i never remember seeing wind gusts that blew the football clear off the field on more than one occasion during a single game. one such field goal blown completely amuck turned into this:
which would be the longest ever return of any kind in the NFL, a 108-yard "intercepted"(for lack of a better way to explain it) field goal kick returned for a Chicago touchdown.
the one raindrop in my otherwise sunshiny day of football was the Bucaneers win over the Redskins. not that i am partial to the Redskins in any real way--but i like to see the Bucs take losses. it's on my Sunday to-do list ya know. and if it hadn't been for a penalty late in the game, the following might not have taken place:
the 2 point conversion that resulted in Tampa winning by a point instead of merely tying it all up at 35. i am ambivalent about that 2 points being awarded. i don't think Alstott actually broke the plane of the goal line with the ball. there was an angle or 2 shown in replay that made me go hmmmm. but to be fair there was nothing that CONCLUSIVELY showed that he hadn't & since there needs to be indisputeable evidence to overturn a call on the field...i have to live with that decision & think that maybe the Bucs got a wee bit lucky.
know why i can live with a Bucs win though? do ya? huh? huh?
first of all because of this:
that guy with the ball, #35? well he allows Green Bay to have a running game. he had, not 1, not 2 but count 'em THREE touchdowns today. that is Samkon Gado. that is the guy that takes the pressure off Favre to play all by himself. and THAT my friends is a Green Bay victory. IN ATLANTA. i am disturbed that i can't find a Favre celebration photo *anywhere* from today's game. i've missed his triumphant expression for so long this season. and here he's earned one finally...and it's nowhere to be found. if i can find one though, he's getting his very own post because by God he deserves it at this point. only ONE INTERCEPTION. that's monumental for my all-time favorite QB. good times. and they *can* still win their division, there's a shot at it. even with their current 2-7 record. (something good about playing in a pathetic division.) and most especially if Favre starts playing with a little bit of help from team around him.
and *drumroll please*
after a sloppy start that made me change the channel over to the Giants game on several occasions since i remained disgusted & disheartened after Monday (which i care not to mention again after this)...suddenly my boys came ALIVE. 2nd half started with 15 unanswered New England points.
suddenly there were touchdowns (remember those?!) & defense!! who was it that asked me if the return of one man can really be expected to make very much difference on the Patriots defense? it does when it's a playmaker & a team leader like Tedy Bruschi!!
they made me nervous a time or two especially right at the end...but they held on. they did it. they don't often play a pretty game. but since when do *I* like anything pretty in the NFL?! that's right. give me tough & gritty any given Sunday.
and you see this guy?
that's Heath Evans. "who?" you ask. me too. someone new the Patriots picked up what with Kevin Faulk being out, Corey Dillon touch & go, Patrick Pass injured...i am guessing that at the moment the Dolphins are wishing they hadn't let Mr Evans go quite so soon. came up big today for New England.
and in the end, the Patriots defeated their own unheralded curse: they won in Miami for only the 2nd time in the last 8 match ups. and best of all they played with so much heart. right down to the dwindling seconds of the 4th quarter. and it was a beautiful sight.
brought to you by Unconscious Mutterings
I say ... and you think ... ?
Mighty:: Mighty Bosstones, "Knock on Wood"
Gotta find time to ....:: pack up this freaking house
Statistic:: what football announcers like to quote, typically pretty meaningless, unless they mention that someone hasn't made a particular error in x-number of games, in which case they have now been jinxed & can expect to make that very error on the next play
Midnight:: when i frequently go to bed
Thaw:: why i go outside during the workday
Hips:: hmmmm...*smirk* never mind
Reader:: you. yes YOU. reading my blog.
Posture:: sit up straight
ooooooo...more John Cusack *happy sigh*
The Ice Harvest which is vaguely reminding me of Grosse Pointe Blank in personality.
got this email a while back from Lesa & it so just suits my crabby mood right now
Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they just take the rotten apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy....... The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who's brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree.
Men are like a fine wine. They begin as grapes, and it's up to women to stomp the crap out of them until they turn into something acceptable to have dinner with.
Doesn't that just warm your heart....
Saturday, November 12, 2005
i have just been informed that the potential buyer on the house is apparently unwilling to negoiate on the close date. which would mean that i will be moving in 22-29 days. take out the 5 days that i will be on the cruise (which is now stressing me out more than sounding like a vacation) and i have 16-23 days left to pack up an entire house; get the mail redirected; get telephone, electricity, internet & cable tv switched to a new location...and oh yeah...FIND A PLACE TO LIVE THAT WILL ALLOW A 30LB DOG!
then lucky me. i get to move *again* roughly 2 months after that. and people wonder why i'm NOT excited about this new house. it's been nothing but a freaking nightmare. now if you'll excuse me, i need to be packing for a cruise AND a move. or running screaming from my life.
Friday, November 11, 2005
do you watch CSI: ?
what in the HELL was up with Nick's (George Eads) mustache in last night's episode?! i mean really. you can't possibly take someone seriously when they look like that.
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. (George Orwell)
in October of 1954, President Eisenhower called on all citizens to observe the day originally named Armistice Day by remembering the sacrifices of all those who have fought so courageously for our country. The President also changed the day's name to Veterans' Day in honor of the servicemen of all America's wars, not just those who fought in World War I.
To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country's service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nation. (President Woodrow Wilson, November 1919, Armistice Day proclamation)
my Dad is a Vietnam Veteran. my brother & i were raised to recognize the service of those who have served our country, who have protected our lives & freedoms, who have put themselves on the line. we were raised with patriotism & pride for our country. and we were raised to give honor where honor is due.
today i remember my Dad & what he did long before i was ever born. i remember my Great Uncles William & Fred who served in WWII. and i think of a soldier i know now who will soon be back in Iraq. and i am grateful for all those who are brave & courageous in the face of evil so that i can be safe & enjoy the freedoms that are often taken for granted.
For those of us who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know. (Robert Reamy)
with words too inadequate to do justice for the sacrifices & heroism our soldiers have shown. i simply say thank you.
i would also like to thank Karyn who so graciously allowed me to use her beautiful Vietnam Memorial photos that i saw on her blog in a Washington DC entry back in June--they captured such a strong sense of reverance & solemn gratitude that i knew they would express the feelings in my heart that my words can not accurately capture.
the second to last photo was sent to me by the person in it & i do not know the photographer or the details of the photo itself.
Thursday, November 10, 2005
ya know how they say it's the little things that make life good? well it's the little things that can also drive you right out of your mind. case in point: the guy filling out an application in the lobby right now. he's been here for 15 minutes. and he's been smacking his lips every 3 seconds the entire time he's been here. yes i timed it. it's making me insane. i just want to scream "WILL YOU STOP IT!!!!" i realize he maybe has a condition of some sort causing this that he can't help. well i can't help it if he is annoying the living hell out of me right now.
see you all in the booby hatch.
Wednesday, November 9, 2005
Ten on Tuesday
10 News Stories You're Sick Of
1. T.O., Donovan McNabb & the Philadelphia Eagles
2. Peyton Manning & his Monday Night Football win over the Patriots
3. the latest Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes drama
4. the NBA dress code
5. Michael Jackson. anything Michael Jackson.
6. Peyton & Eli Manning meeting in the Super Bowl
7. Bird Flu. i know we need to be prepared but it's the same story EVERY SINGLE DAY.
8. the 27th nomination for the Supreme Court. tell us when you settle on someone & they are really interested & going to accept the nomination without bowing out 2 days after the fact.
9. steroids in professional sports. we know they're being used. we cry about how inappropriate it is. but we sure do eat up the homerun race don't we? ;-)
10. Natalee Holloway. i feel mean saying this because the story is tragic but how many times cam we rehash the story, threaten to boycott Aruba & get mad that no one has been caught?
Tuesday, November 8, 2005
lest i be called a hypocrite for only saying refs make bad calls in favor of teams i don't want to win. the Patriots should have lost 40-14, not 40-21. but the officials called Troy Brown for a TD when in fact it was an incomplete pass that he scooped up after the fact & rolled himself into the end zone like a log. Tony Dungy should have thrown his red challenge flag instead of tucking it back into his pocket because that was a crap call. make no mistake. they're my team & i'm glad they got a call in their favor but i am WELL aware that they are awfully lucky that didn't get reviewed.
not that it mattered since they blew the game anyway.
Monday, November 7, 2005
...for some Monday Night Football??
i think i may throw up.
Sunday, November 6, 2005
brought to you by Unconscious Mutterings
I say ... and you think ... ?
Deeper and deeper:: ...into the forest
Can’t help ...:: falling in love with you
Devil’s advocate:: Al Pacino played a very convincing Satan in that movie
Superpower:: super hero
Played:: what i did at Magic Kingdom yesterday
Violate:: violent disregard & disrespect
Invest:: commit something of value for future benefit or reward
Choke:: Heimlich maneuver
Saturday, November 5, 2005
this time by Krystyn
2 names you go by
how many ways are there to change up Dawn? (Heather: don't *even* go there LOL! i don't go by that & it doesn't count when you're the only one who gets to use it without being given a dirty look!) so we'll go with 2 of my most common nicknames that i will also answer to:
2. toss up between: Queen & Tinkerbell
so that's 3. sue me. it's my blog & i have my own legal system here so it won't do any good. you'll just end up owing ME money. *giggle*
2 parts of your heritage
2. French Canadian
2 things that scare you
1. hurting or being hurt by someone i love
2 of your everyday essentials
2. my glasses
2 things you are wearing right now
1. white Old Navy Perfect Fit V-neck tee
2. black track pants
2 of your favorite bands or musical artists (at the moment)
1. Gary Allan
2. Rob Thomas/Matchbox 20
2 favorite songs (at the moment)
1. “You're Like Coming Home” by Lonestar
2. “Breathe” by Anna Nalick
2 things you want in a relationship (other than real love)
1. i don't care how many photos of Catherine Heather sends me, i just can't get enough.
2. my car will be paid off in a little over a year. i hope i never own another Mitsubishi.
2 physical things that appeal to you (in the opposite sex)
1. well-groomed facial hair
2. a sincere smile
2 of your favorite hobbies
2 things you want really badly
1. renew my Annual Disney World Pass
2. ahhhhhh...errrrrr...*evil grin* never mind
2a. get a new digital camera
2 places you want to go on vacation
1. upstate New york during the peak of Autumn
2 things you want to do before you die
1. be financially secure
2. see more of the United States
2 things you are thinking about now
1. what time i need to do the grocery shopping & did i forget to put anything important on the list (oooooo, i know lol)
2. what my plans are for later today
2 stores you shop at
2. Old Navy
2 people i would like to see take this quiz
Friday, November 4, 2005
Colts face their biggest test.
It's a measure of the New England Patriots decline that the Indianapolis Colts are three-point favorites Monday night in Foxborough, which has been a house of horrors for them recently.
Yes, the Colts are the NFL's only unbeaten team and the Patriots have lost three times. But Indy has been eliminated by the Patriots in the playoffs the last two years, hasn't won in Foxboro since 1995 and has lost six straight games to the Patriots.
Peyton Manning? He's 0-7 in New England.
The Colts' unbeaten run could work against them -- they have to lose at some point, just as Houston had to win eventually.
only one question remains: what does Monday Night hold...?
There are places I’ll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I’ve loved them all
But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I’ll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I’ll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more
Thursday, November 3, 2005
so i actually finalized most of my football by Thursday morning this week. that in & of itself is a little scary. but looking at them, i realized that yet again i have gone AGAINST most of the home teams. that is so rarely a good idea but on the other hand, there are some GROSSLY mismatched games this week too. i mean can you pick the Ravens (with a fairly sad defense) against the red hot Bengals offense? or can you pick the Cardinals to win over the Seahawks when the Cardinals best (only) receiver is out for at least 2 weeks? or the 49ers to win against anyone--ok other than the Cardinals & the Bucs (LMAO) when they are not only playing the Giants but are needing to use their FOURTH string QB? or *sigh* the poor Packers being matched up to the Steelers who even without Big Ben are still pretty intimidating...
and then i am scared of the Redskins pick. but they ARE the home team...and maybe last week was just one of those REALLY bad games (like New England had in Miami last year)...and the Eagles have no T.O. & really haven't impressed the heck out of anybody lately.
of course i am still struggling on a couple. (would it be me if i weren't still trying to make a decision right up until kickoff? talk about your game time decisions huh...) Titans & Browns seem evenly matched to me. Titans can score some points but the Browns have home field. and the Raiders/Chiefs is a HUGE rivalry game. all bets off. records meaningless. both teams fired up. think think think...
but honestly most of my nerves are revolving around Monday Night. the Patriots have been a thorn in Peyton's side for the last 7 games he's had to play in Foxboro. for all his perfect 7-0 2005 record--with all the TD passes he has thrown--Peyton is 0-7 against the Patriots on their home turf. the Patriots not only have something to play for in keeping their "push all Peyton's buttons" tradition alive but they really need to win to keep THEMSELVES alive. not to mention the great confidence boost it would be for the staggering Patriots to put a black mark in the LOSS column of the only undefeated team left in the NFL. make no mistake: THIS PATRIOTS FAN BELIEVES. but i am scared out of my mind...
so we all turned our clocks back on Saturday night to end Daylight Savings Time for another year. everyone is whining about how they hate that it gets dark so much earlier now. me? i rather like when i am waking up that the sun isn't far behind me. i hate trying to get my day started when it's so black outside it feels like the middle of the night. it makes me want to crawl back into my warm cozy bed. now as i am puttering around getting ready for work, even though the sun hasn't quite broken the horizon yet, the sky is lightening up & it feels like the day has begun. =)
every single time i see Dan Dierdorf announcing a football game, i think he looks exactly like a human version of the Heckler (from The Muppet Show)--the one sitting on the right. (sorry don't know which one is which by name...)
yep you read that right. not another obscure "Hallmark holiday" but a *great* excuse to make the easiest dinner!! ;-)
inhonor of this i'll share a quick & yummy recipe for warm & toasty sandwich perfect for a quick November dinner:
Three-Cheese Meatball Heroes
16 frozen or fresh, fully-cooked meatballs
1 (15 1/2 oz) jar of marinara sauce
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatp pesto or basil pesto
4 hero rolls, cut in half & toasted
4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
4 oz sliced or shredded provolone cheese
4 oz sliced or shredded fontina cheese
1. Heat oven to 400*F. If using frozen meatballs, cook according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the marinara sauce and the cooked meatballs over medium heat, stirring frequently until sauce is thickened and hot, 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Spread 1 tbsp of the pesto sauce on bottom half of each roll. Place 4 meatballs on each roll. Spoon marinara sauce on top of meatballs, dividing evenly. Sprinkle each with a tbsp of parmesan cheese. Top each with 1oz provolone and 1oz fontina cheese. Place heroes on a baking sheet; bake 4 to 5 minutes or until hot and cheeses are melted. Serve with a tossed salad.
tip: Look for fully-cooked meatballs in the deli section of your local supermarket.
Wednesday, November 2, 2005
i just love how captivated she was by Disney! who says that 16 months is too young to enjoy Disney World?? sure she won't remember it but it's not like she had to pay admission & just look at how engrossed she is in what she's seeing! worth it's weight in gold if you ask me to see her having fun.