Monday, April 14, 2014

Flower and Garden Fest 2014: Round Three

Finally! I had so many plans on weekends in March! First there was a Red Sox Spring Training game. Then I was on vacation. Then I was getting caught up on everything from being gone on vacation. Whew. Time for some Festing!

JARDIN DE FIESTAS


Taco al Pastor (corn tortilla filled with achiote marinated pork garnished with grilled diced pineapple, onions, and cilantro).

Not just your run of the mill taco. So flavorful and bright! The tortilla was almost nothing but a vehicle to get the rest of that deliciousness into my mouth. The pork was nicely seasoned, but it was the pineapple and cilantro that took center stage! I mean, just *look* at that fresh color!



Where to go next? Where to go next... I know!

FLORIDA FRESH


Kumquat Pie.

First, I should tell you that I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I ordered this. The only two things I knew about kumquats were they are a citrus fruit and my junior year high school English teacher used to "affectionately" call us her "bright little kumquats." (She, by the way, was my favorite teacher in all of high school. So. Side note aside.) Second, I have to admit that I could not stop taking pictures of this pie. It was so visually appealing. Seriously. Look how pretty!

Look at that meringue! (That isn't even all my photos of this one dish. Not even kidding.) I hadn't even taken a bite yet. And then I did. You guys, I can't even. Look at this!

The filling was creamy, yet had a texture, somehow. And the *flavor*. I had no clue what to expect, but I was figuring orange-ish. It is...like nothing I have ever tasted before. It kind of amazes me that, other than the various types of oranges and the tangerine, which all definitely share a related flavor, every other citrus fruit has its own unique flavor, kumquats included. It is...I still have not successfully found a way to describe it. It's kind of tangy-tart, but there is sweetness there too. It was a party, right there in my mouth.

Even the crust. Look at those gorgeous sugar crystals! Mind blown. (I am still thinking about this pie.)


Well, now. *That" is going to be difficult to top.

FLEUR DE LYS


Gnocchi Parisien a la Provencal (Parisian style dumplings with vegetables and mushrooms). Rose Pamplemousse Cocktail (rose wine mixed with natural grapefruit syrup).

I kind of feel bad for this dish. I mean, the last one set the bar impossibly high. These were good. Lots of flavor. Creamy filling. Lots of roasted veggies: red peppers and zucchini and some else I couldn't quite identify. (I'll be honest, I picked out most of the mushrooms.) And there was a creamy cheese in there too -- goat? farmer's cheese? got me! -- and you can't go wrong with cheese.

The wine cocktail was very refreshing. There was a definite grapefruit-i-ness. Light and crisp and it was a perfect compliment to the more substantial flavors and the creaminess of the gnocchi. Plus? Pamplemousse! That's fun to say!


I think it's time for something meaty...

THE SMOKEHOUSE: BARBECUE AND BREWS


Pulled Pig Slider with Cole Slaw.

Now this is some pig! Crispy edges. Tender and juicy. The tangy crunch of the slaw. The spicy-sweet barbecue sauce. All on a super fresh bun. I have zero complaints about the flavor or quality of this dish. It is exactly what I expected. Except for one thing.

I don't know about you, but when I see "slider," I anticipate "three or four bites." That? Was a *sandwich*. That thing was almost as big as my four-and-a-half-inch phone (stop laughing at my phone, I know, it's not a smart phone, but my cell phone bill is also less than $90 a month for *two* phones, so I'm using this until it dies and I am forced to upgrade my plan to include data) and as big as my fist...without the lid!! Great value, but not very helpful for trying multiple dishes in a Fest setting!


Stuffed, but carrying on. I have a plan and I am sticking to it. (I'm such a team player.)

PRIMAVERA KITCHEN


Torta di Ricotta (lemon cheesecake with limoncello-marinated strawberries). Strawberry Rossini (Proescco and marinated strawberries).


The cheesecake was a bit heavier than I was hoping. It was so delicious, though, that I powered on. The lemon was light, the cheesecake was crumbly, there was a nice little graham cracker crust, and those strawberries were to die for. I don't know what it is about spring, but I crave the lemon-and-berry combination. The Rossini was a good choice to sip with my final dish of the day. Lots of bubbles, more strawberries. You'll hear no complaints from me!


Cheers to another successful trip! I'll be back for my final round in early May! (The busy weekends, they just keep happening.)

2 with their own thoughts:

penuttpie Saturday, May 03, 2014 12:50:00 PM  

As you know, I love these posts! Have you ever tried to recreate any of these meals?? Just curious :)

~**Dawn**~ Saturday, May 03, 2014 2:28:00 PM  

G: They sell cookbooks and even offer some of the recipes on the official Disney blog, but I've never actually cooked any!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP