Thursday, October 28, 2010

Home.

I was catching up on my Google Reader some more and I happened upon a blog post, titled Where the Heart Is. The author asked "What does home mean to you?" and it got my wheels turning.

As a transplant, I remember first living in Florida & often referred to Connecticut or New England as "back home." It's where my history is. Where I was born, grew up and lived for the first 25 years of my life. I don't recall exactly when it changed, but on one visit back to Connecticut, I made reference to "home," and for the first time realized that I meant Florida. Since that day, I hadn't given it much thought.

Florida *is* my home now. It is where I live. It is where the streets have become familiar. Where palm trees are no longer a novelty. Where I have favorite places to visit, restaurants where I like to eat, stores where I prefer to shop.

But as I really let the question camp out in my thoughts, something new occurred to me.

New England is also still my home. I have memories there. I can still picture the winding, hilly roads I traveled with crystal clarity. It is where stately pines are as familiar along the street edges as palm trees are for me now. I can hear the blend of Massachusetts & New York accents that play at the edge of the voices I know best in Connecticut. I have favorite places I miss visiting, people I miss going to dinner with at restaurants I like, and seasons I miss turning with more obvious distinction.

Home is not a place on a map for me, I've come to understand. Home is Central Florida, with its theme parks and orange blossoms. Home is New England, with its deeply entrenched history--both my own & this great country's--and its magnificent Autumn beauty. Home is California, where I have never laid down roots in any official sense, but can settle right in, as if I'd never left, no matter how long it has been since I was last there.

Home, for me, is where I love. Home is where I *am* loved. There is something to that old cliche "Home is where the heart is." The landscape and the structures, they don't matter. It's the people who I find there that can make anywhere home to me. Because it's seeing their faces, hugging them tight and laughing with joy, that ultimately makes me feel like I've come home.

5 with their own thoughts:

Erin Thursday, October 28, 2010 1:52:00 PM  

I love this post! I have lived in Georgia for 15 years, but still refer to Massachusetts as "home" because that's where my family is. Being a military family makes it hard for us to really define where our "home" is, and I feel the same feelings you do. In five years, my husband will retire from the Army. We're trying to decide where to make our home at that time. We don't want to return to Massachusetts, and we love Savannah, but it's sometimes hard to figure out if your heart will love somewhere as much as your head does.

Janet Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:48:00 PM  

Well said, Dawn! What made you move to FL originally?

~**Dawn**~ Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:50:00 PM  

Erin: The biggest trick being sometimes the heart is a bit slower to get on board.

Janet: The guy in my Former Life. Except by the time that ended, Florida was home. So I stayed.

penuttpie Friday, October 29, 2010 9:41:00 PM  

i often feel like this too. as time has passed, my "home" doesn't really feel like it is anymore. the places where i spend my time feel more like home now.
i'm just hoping that one day i'll be able to create my own little space that i'll love coming home to :)

Unknown Saturday, October 30, 2010 8:50:00 AM  

Hi Dawn,

Stopped by to say Hello as its been a while.

Another excellent post from you.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP