Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Food and Wine Fest 2015: Round Four

Time to redeem the previous round of Festing.


Right off the bat, going on a Sunday was a much more pleasant experience. It isn't something I can do most weekends, but it worked out this time around. The crowds were a good 50% lighter and the weather was warm but breezy. First stop...

AUSTRALIA


Grilled Sweet and Spicy Bush Berry Shrimp with Pineapple, Pepper, Onion, and Snap Peas. Chateau Tanunda Grand Barossa Dry Riesling.

It's kind of funny to me, but the only time I ever seem to eat shrimp is at one of the EPCOT Fests. This dish wasn't bad, but I was expecting more pineapple and snap peas, considering they went out of their way to mention them in the dish description. There was only lonely piece of pineapple and no snap peas whatsoever. The sauce was a slightly spicy tomato broth with the diced veggies in it, and curiously, there were equal amounts of tomato, pepper, and onion, despite tomatoes getting no billing at all. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't "as advertised" either, so that was a bit disappointing, I guess. But let's talk about that Riesling before we zoom off to another country. Because it does indeed say *dry*. Anyone who's ever had a Rielsing likely thinks immediately of a sweet wine. Some are sweeter than others, but always with the fruity sweetness, right? This was definitely a Riesling, but it had so many citrus flavors to it, that it just couldn't be considered sweet at all. It had a refreshing tartness to it that I really enjoyed and that went well with the shrimp. So while it wasn't the driest wine I've ever sipped, it was, by *far*, the driest Riesling.


Onward to...

CHINA


Beijing Roasted Duck in a Steamed Bun with Hoisin Sauce.

This is, by far, one of the dishes I've liked best this year. I like that duck is something a bit different from all the other meat options around the Global Marketplaces. It's tender and flavorful, especially with that hoisin sauce. The green onions add a crisp freshness to the meat, and the steamed bun is like eating a cloud. A+ on this one, Food and Wine Fest.


It gets crowded, walking through the mob of people gathered around all the Global Marketplaces located on the front side of the lagoon (they're packed closer together there than anywhere else and some of the walkways get easily congested), so I walked the long way around World Showcase to get to...

GREECE


Spanakopita.

Even though I get it every single year, I can never resist getting it again. All those flaky layers of pastry filled with spinach and feta cheese. It's always well done and I never regret getting it. It's a classic. A wonderfully delicious classic.


Moving right along (across the walkway) to...

CANADA


Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle Butter Sauce.

Here's another dish I've gotten for years now. Usually, it's just a vessel for getting that amazing truffle butter sauce into my mouth. This year, though, I was impressed with the actual meat too. In the past, the cut has been thinner. This year, I don't know if they're cutting the meat thicker, or if I just got lucky with and end piece that was thicker, but that thickness lent itself to being cooked a solid medium-rare (warm pink center, which is my personal preference) rather than the typical medium to medium-well. It was so tender, so juicy, so full of flavor, and topped with that truffle butter sauce that makes me want to lick that paper dish after I've finished eating? ::whimper:: I love when a Fest staple surprises me by being extra tasty.


And now for some dessert in...

FRANCE

France got a new Global Marketplace! I love its new cafe look and welcoming red color.

Creme Brulee Vanille Chocolat.

Just look at that beautiful crust of caramelized sugar!

I found the consistency a bit unexpected. Instead of being the thicker texture of custard to which I am accustomed, this was more like a pudding -- more creamy than jiggly. ::shrugs:: I'm perfectly ok with some chocolate and vanilla pudding with that golden sugar crunch!


Other than my first dish not living up to expectations, this was a very satisfying spin around the world. And light years better than the one before, considering I didn't feel like garbage (always a plus). I was already planning my next go round as I waddled through the parking lot to my car.

2 with their own thoughts:

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane Wednesday, November 04, 2015 10:00:00 PM  

Spanikopita, creme brûlée, filet with truffle butter sauce! Wow, that is some fine eating :) Love the foodie dialogue and all the photos, some of my most favorite posts during the year :)

~**Dawn**~ Wednesday, November 04, 2015 10:20:00 PM  

It really is some fine dining, isn't it? =)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP