Sunday, August 30, 2015

Snapshot from Along the Broken Road: 2015 - Week 34

Checking in for the week of August 23 through August 29.

WHAT I READ |
Ahab's Wife: Or, the Star-Gazer (Sena Jeter Naslund) - The only way I can sum up this book is that I am relieved to finally be finished with it. Which makes it sound as though I hated the book, but that is not the case. It's a contradictory feeling, much like this book was. At times it was lyrical, almost poetic, but at other times, it was hostile, unpleasant, difficult, even disturbing. Parts of it rambled along on seemingly pointless tangents, purely to hear the sound of its own voice, unnecessarily verbose. And yet, there were parts that painted with such magnificent detail, it was as if the words might spring to life, right off the page. I both loved and despised Una. She was at her best in the early days with Ahab (on land, not at sea), and at her worst with Kit, anytime she was with Kit. And so, I maintain, while I'm not sorry I read it, I'm also not sorry to be finished.

WHAT WE ATE|
T was away, so I scrounged and scavenged for solo meals. But when he got back, I tried a new recipe for the slow cooker: Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon. And I have to say, I am usually not a huge fan of most pot roast sort of dishes (except my Gram's Yankee pot roast which I have never been able to duplicate), but this was mighty yummy.

CANDLE SCENTS|
Pink Sands (YC)
Black Coconut (YC) - I feel like I had this one in my stash for ages, but for some reason never reached for it. Now I don't know why I ever waited. A definite coconut scent, but it's richer, sweeter, more refined, than just straight up coconut. Rather than being a sweet "baked goods" sort of coconut, this was more robust and tropical.
Sun and Sand (YC) - A totally happy scent. Sunscreen and sunshine and ocean air.
Napa Valley Sun (YC) - Not your typical summer scent but so, so good. It's like that warm, lazy just-before-the-sun-goes down time of day.

WHAT THIS WEEK LOOKED LIKE|
A break in the clouds.


Favorite.


Another sprout!


I love the farmhouse.


Four seasons.


Blue.


Mexico.


Round.


I find him a little creepy.


China.


Rainy reflections.

0 with their own thoughts:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP