Sunday, August 9, 2015

Snapshot from Along the Broken Road: 2015 - Week 31

Checking in for the week of August 2 through August 8.

WHAT I READ |
A Farewell to Arms (Ernest Hemingway) - After finishing this book as an adult this time around, I will raise my initial 2-star rating to 3. But only for the writing. I can appreciate a well-written piece of literature better, now, than I did in high school. However, it is abundantly clear to me why I did not like this book when I was forced to read it the first time. What an utterly depressing story. And that's all I have to say about that.
Ahab's Wife: Or, The Star-Gazer (Sena Jeter Naslund) - The story, itself, hasn't grabbed me yet, but the writing is lovely. Very descriptive and almost lyrical.

WHAT WE ATE|
We went with a definite middle of the summer menu this week. BLTs. Burgers. Grilled tilapia. Pulled pork and cole slaw. And then I made stuffed shells (ricotta, Italian sausage, and spinach) with the full recipe so that we had a bunch to stick in the freezer too.

CANDLE SCENTS|
Honeydew Melon (YC)
Pink Sands (YC) - I have no idea how to describe this scent, other than light and fresh, but in more of a summer-y way than a spring-ish way. I love it in either the bathroom or the bedroom.
Cherry Lemonade (YC) - Cherry sweet and lemon tart, heavier on the cherry. I like.
Cinnamon Vanilla (YC) - I tend to burn my candles seasonally. Anything cinnamon would almost exclusively be classified as "autumn" in my stash of candles, but I was intrigued that it was released in the summer, so I gave it shot. I was pleasantly surprised. Rather than the cinnamon warming up the vanilla, the creaminess of the vanilla seemed to cool down the spice. I felt like I was smelling a vanilla milkshake with a sprinkle of cinnamon blended in.

WHAT THIS WEEK LOOKED LIKE|
I will take the rain just to get this temperature for a little while.


I'm pretty much in love with the poster art for August. I've never even thought about Memphis before and now I want to go there.


Soft.


I spy baby pineapple plant roots!


Last little bit of light.

0 with their own thoughts:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP