Sunday, July 5, 2015

Snapshot from Along the Broken Road: 2015 - Week 26

Checking in for the week of June 28 through July 4.

WHAT I READ |
Back to School Murder (Leslie Meier) - It took me until right before the reveal to realize whodunnit, but I thought the character was going to turn out to be someone other than who they were (well, there's a confusing sentence, but I'm trying to avoid any spoilers!). This was a fairly engaging mystery, even though it seemed to take a while to really lift off. There's nothing overly challenging about this series, but it's an easy, fun mystery series, and sometimes that's all I'm looking for.
Gatsby's Girl (Caroline Preston) - At first, I wondered if the story was going to pick up enough pace to keep me reading. It's definitely gotten better since then.

WHAT WE ATE|
Sausage burgers with provolone and some roasted peppers. YUM. Corned beef and cabbage. Breakfast for dinner. And we went old school cookout for the Fourth of July: hot dogs, potato salad, and baked beans.

WHAT I BOUGHT/TRIED/ACCOMPLISHED|
We bought cheesy little firework and sparklers, because I've never had them before. And our DVR is on the fritz, so I went on a huge DVR-clearing binge, hoping to get to as much of it as possible before they replace it next week.

CANDLE SCENTS|
Honeydew Melon (YC) - This one has been one of my favorites for almost as long as I've been burning Yankee Candles. It is practically synonymous with summer for me now.
Turquoise Sky (YC) - I was hoping I would like this one more than I do. It's got a strange quality to it that just isn't quite what I was expecting, almost a bit...chemical.
Fruit Salad (YC) - Fruity! My favorite summer scents are the fruit-based ones.
Loves Me, Loves Me Not (YC) - Bummer. Ended up not caring for this one at all. Smelled like (sorry) cat pee.

WHAT THIS WEEK LOOKED LIKE|
What lunchtime looks like at my desk.


Steak dinner.


Loved the texture of the wood on the wall.


And the booths.


Meat and potatoes.


Angry bull.


Halfway through 2015. Whoa.


We kept the fortunes from our cookies a couple of weeks ago. Their messages just feel particularly poignant right now.


And Old Fashioned and a Lemon, please.


Four years ago, right in this spot, we got engaged.


This guy. He hates selfies but sometimes he indulges me.


I love this little white bird. He stays out in my "mantel" decor all year long.


Birds of paradise make me laugh, whether they're real or artificial.


SUMMER.


On the cob.


Sparkle.


I've never played with sparklers before! (I know, I know!)

1 with their own thoughts:

Janet Monday, August 03, 2015 9:49:00 AM  

We had corn for supper last night. Just corn. It was SO GOOD!!!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP