Friday, December 5, 2008

resurrecting Dawn

so ummm... yeah. this is what i get for promising to be back on the blog more often.

first, i was getting ready to travel. which means... less time to play online.

then, i was travelling. which means... less time to play online. (they really need to start putting WiFi on airplanes by the way. i would pay for that kind of entertainment on a 5+ hour flight. just sayin'.)

then, i was enjoying Thanksgiving with Nichole & Daniel...





(i meant to take a photo of my various plates as they were presented, but really, the food was too yummy & i forgot. oops. here is the aftermath of dinner though.)

all of which means... less time to play online.

then i was shopping on Black Friday. or, well, mostly observing the shopping. and then tagging along for the Christmas tree selection. but that still translates to... less time to play online.

then i was at Disneyland, seeing it all decorated for Christmas, which i have never done before...









(the gingerbread men were so cool! they made the costumes flat on the back, just like a cookie would be, and even "browned" the edges!)







so while i was definitely gathering things to share on my blog... there was no time for playing online.

all of this would have been fine. but then... Saturday evening, we went to dinner at Hook's Pointe. i was having a hard time deciding what i wanted for dinner. i almost got the Mahi Mahi. but then i picked (cue ominous music here) the salmon. i should have gone with my original gut feeling. because then i could have avoided the feelings i got in my gut later that night. oh. my. God. i thought i was going to die. i was mildly uncomfortable after dinner, but chalked it up to just being too full (even though i only ate half my dinner... and thank goodness i only ate half), and when we got home, i went to bed, dozing restlessly until i awoke around 2am by the unmistakable Very Unhappy Tummy feeling. the waves of nausea just kept rolling over me. by the time Nichole & Daniel woke up Sunday morning, this had been going on for hours. i couldn't talk or move or even so much withstand a comforting pat on the hand (although, strangely, i could read, which provided some measure of distraction between waves of feeling ill.)

this whole time, i am alternating between praying it would just end and wondering how on earth i would be able to get on the red eye that night. finally around 11am, i was able to go about twenty minutes between waves of nausea, so i took a shower to at least try to feel somewhat human again. then i camped out on the couch, while Nichole & Daniel took care of me and did some decorating for Christmas. as my stomach slowly began to settle (all i ate the whole day were five crackers and three canned pear slices, and some water--no way was i "re-loading the gun" thank you very much), my nose? started to run. turns out that sore throat that i thought was just from dry air decided it was going to be much, much more than that.

oh goody.

by the time, they put me on the plane, the war of the worlds in my abdomen had all but subsided, but they had to send me off with a box of Kleenex for the faucet on my face my nose. the guy in the seat next to me gave me a couple of unhappy looks as i proceeded to blow my nose at roughly four minute intervals. i was just waiting for him to say something, because i would have informed him that he's just lucky we weren't flying the night before. (not that i would have even attempted to get on the plane like that but considering it would have hit mid-flight? wouldn't have been a fun night for *anyone*.)

so, i got home and have spent the rest of the week muddling through the progression of a cold. from the runny nose to the plugged up head to the coughing, which is where i am now. but for you? i have dredged up enough energy & ambition to download photos, edit them, upload them to my web albums and compose a post.

so all in all, i wasn't really able to be online, due to a variety of circumstances. we're on the upswing now, but no more promises.

15 with their own thoughts:

JMP Friday, December 05, 2008 10:41:00 AM  

OK....I was SO JEALOUS of you...until I got to the SALMON part...... ech!!!

Well glad you made it back to Florida in one piece!!!

Great pics as always!!!

Thank Dawn for sharing!!!!

~**Dawn**~ Friday, December 05, 2008 10:48:00 AM  

Thanks, JMP. It was a wonderful time as always, minus the last 24 hours of it--but that isn't anyone's fault but the salmon's. And whoever was the germ-carrier that gave me this cold. =P

Anonymous,  Friday, December 05, 2008 12:00:00 PM  

Oh NO, Dawn! At first I was like, "oh cool! great post!" and then DUM DUM DA DUM....I read the salmon line. I'm retching just at the image. SOOOO glad you are starting to feel better finally after all of that!!

*krystyn* Friday, December 05, 2008 2:18:00 PM  

Glad you are feeling better now. Those snowman 'things' look pretty yummy...I know it's a marshmallow on top, but what was the body made of? Apple? Those gingerbread costumes ARE cool!!

Carrie Friday, December 05, 2008 2:31:00 PM  

Ohhh how fun! Great pictures. I'm so super jealous. The one and probably only thing I miss about CA is Disneyland, well, and the Haunted Mansion, esp. decorated for the holidays.

Jeanne Friday, December 05, 2008 5:48:00 PM  

Since you shared such abso-freakin-lutely gorgeous photos I'll forgive you. Nasty to spoil all that fun with a bug.

Chele76 Friday, December 05, 2008 5:53:00 PM  

What a beautiful dinner. What were those cocktails again? ;)

J-Dawg's Realm Friday, December 05, 2008 8:50:00 PM  

Dawn
So glad you had a nice Thanksgiving - just wish the END of your trip would have been alot more enjoyable - flying while sick is NOT fun at all! They put on quite a spread it looks like! Just glad you are getting back to "normal" if there really IS such a thing! :)
J

marianne Friday, December 05, 2008 11:48:00 PM  

oh no! I'm so sorry you and the salmon battled but it sure looks like you had a fabulous time up til then. glad you made it back home and are feeling better. take care of you!!

Anonymous,  Sunday, December 07, 2008 2:11:00 AM  

wow...
glad you are feeling better!!

Ted D Sunday, December 07, 2008 10:31:00 AM  

Fabulous pictures and I'm glad to see you back blogging! Sorry to hear you were sick, but hopefully it's out of your system for the rest of the holiday season.

Anonymous,  Monday, December 08, 2008 12:13:00 PM  

I think my favorite shot is of the appetizers. You really captured how cool the foie gras looked. I loved how the sauternes jelly was perfectly stacked on each slice which was perfectly stacked on the toast. ;-)

As for being sick, I'm at least glad you got sick here where we could take care of you instead of on the plane!

Janet Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:25:00 PM  

Daniel answered my question; those apps looked so awesome! Glad you had a good time, but sorry you were sick.

kreed Friday, December 12, 2008 10:17:00 AM  

Looks like a great trip...all but the sick part, anyway! Sorry you had to have that little bit of fun added in...

Anonymous,  Monday, December 15, 2008 3:56:00 PM  

Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I love it! I look forward to visiting more often!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP