Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas past

just a little walk down Christmas memory lane...

baby Dawn's first Christmas. i look particularly distressed about something. (probably my tummy aching, since i was pretty colicky as a wee babe and i was only about 2 months old in this photo.) that's my Dad there, rubbing my back.


much happier baby Dawn on her second Christmas!

my Gram had this snowman. you would turn his base to wind him up and then he would play "Frosty the Snowman"--and i was *obsessed* with it.


(wow, those are some pants...)


let's jump ahead a few years to about 1995... my grandparents took "eclectic tree" to a whole new level! Gram loved a Charlie Brown tree with lots of wide open spaces so she could fill them up with 50 years' worth of Christmas memories she shared with my Gramp. she would often line ornaments up, two and three deep, on the branches. and the tinsel? pieces of that would stop turning up right around the time we replaced them with Easter basket grass.


some more time travel brings us to 1998. that's my Gram on the left. the other two ladies are two of my Gramp's sisters (Aunt Emma in the middle, Aunt Esther on the right). every year, Gram & Gramp would invite his sisters to the house for some Christmas celebration. in the back left of the photo, you can see my Gram's hutch. i would drive her bat crazy as soon as Thanksgiving was done to dig out the boxes of Christmas decorations. the bottom shelf was her lighted Christmas village. the very top was a nativity. the middle two shelves were all kinds of miscellaneous Christmas collectibles that my Gram had acquired on their various travels and as gifts. to the back right of the photo was my Gram's china cabinet that she had inherited from her mother. the more delicate Christmas trinkets were tucked behind the glass door and on top was Gram's angel choir. i find myself wondering often, especially this time of year, where all my Gram's treasures are now. i only have a few ornaments and all the photos i could find...


and finally the year 2000... the last Christmas i got to spend with both my grandparents...

...the greatest gift i ever gave myself was to make sure i saved the old family photos. the trips i can take when i flip through them are worth their weight in gold.

14 with their own thoughts:

Bart Thursday, December 25, 2008 1:59:00 PM  

Awwww.


But in other news...

I BEAT BREES!

marianne Thursday, December 25, 2008 4:36:00 PM  

Precious memories to have, Dawn. Thanks for sharing such a special part of your life. Wishing you a most blesses and peaceful Christmas and the happiest of New Years! :)

kreed Thursday, December 25, 2008 10:58:00 PM  

Such great pictures and wonderful memories - your posts about your grandparents always give me goosebumps for some reason. I think it is just because it is so obvious how much you enjoyed spending time with them and how special that time was to you.

Anonymous,  Friday, December 26, 2008 1:39:00 PM  

Oh Dawn these pics are fantastic! It makes me sad to not have too many pictures of my grandparents unfortunately. :-(
And holy moly that Christmas tree is huge...taller than both your grandparents! LOL

mimiscraps Friday, December 26, 2008 8:47:00 PM  

That's awsome! Merry Christmas -late I hope it was a memorable one this year as well!

Ted D Friday, December 26, 2008 10:05:00 PM  

Dawn, the pictures are awesome. I've got just a few of my Grandparents so this is great you've held onto these.

And the pants were rockin'. Young kids today pay big money for pants that look like that. ;)

Heart of Rachel Saturday, December 27, 2008 7:35:00 AM  

It's nice to see photos of you when you were a baby. You have a lovely family. Happy Holidays!

Michelle Quinno Saturday, December 27, 2008 4:04:00 PM  

So cute!! You haven't changed a bit. ;-) I love old photos!

Happy New Year, Dawn!

Colleen Saturday, December 27, 2008 11:10:00 PM  

Third pic. from the top- definetly my favorite ;) SO cute Dawn!

Lovebug6100 Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:41:00 PM  

Your pictures were adorable...what a wonderful walk down memory lane! I need your help....I was wondering if you could help me with my widgets...I figured out how to save them but don't know how to put them back in now that I changed my layout. Please help! Hope your holidays were great!

Janet Monday, December 29, 2008 4:28:00 PM  

Look at those sideburns! Woohoo!

Seriously, tho, what lovely pictures. I'm glad you could take such a wonderful trip :-)

Nichole M Tuesday, December 30, 2008 1:50:00 PM  

omg. we had the *same* fake brick linoleum in our kitchen! ::shudder::

Hmmm... Where *did* all those Christmas decorations go? Does your dad have them?

Loved looking at these photos. :-D

Carrie Wednesday, December 31, 2008 9:33:00 PM  

Whoa..we had that same linoleum too! I remember my parents changing it shortly after we moved in, only to move in to a place like ten years LATER that had it there too. Good grief, it was awful.

What great photos, thank you for sharing. I love the photos of you with your Grandmother's snowman, and the pants are SNAZZ-AY! :)

~**Dawn**~ Tuesday, January 06, 2009 4:05:00 PM  

Bart: Indeed you did. And hopefully soon I will be able to award you your trophy, slacker that I am! (Case in point: how delayed I am in replying to blog comments!)

Marianne: Priceless to me. =)

kreed: *Thank you* for such a sweet comment. =)

April: All the more reason to remember to take as many photos as you can for *your* children & grandchildren, right? My Gram was tiny but my Gramp was 6'3"! Their tree went all the way to the ceiling!

mimiscraps: Same to you!

Ted: I think I had those pants in several other colors as well...

Heart of Rachel: To you as well! Thanks for stopping by! =)

Mamichelle: Awww. You are too kind.

Colleen: I wanted that snowman *bad*! ;-)

Lovebug: Sorry so late getting back to you!! If you drop me an email, I will walk you through it.

Janet: They were something, huh? LOL

Nichole: Gram's was the least of the evils. We also had that linoleum at home in the kitchen (in tannish-orange shades) and in the bathroom (in blues & greys)!! I have no clue where all those decorations went. My aunt? Cousins? Maybe my dad & brother have some? Other than the photos, I don't have *anything* of my grandparents' belongings, because I was living in Florida already when Gramp passed away. =(

EatCrayons: You know you love those pants! ;-) And these were the snowman photos you made me think of with your blog post!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP