Wednesday, December 24, 2008

how lovely are your branches

i have what might be considered an unhealthy love for my Christmas tree. from the second i put it up, it makes me so ridiculously happy that i break out into a smile every time i see it. i can often be found in the evenings, relaxing in my living room, with it lit only by the tree and maybe the tv. i have joked (mostly) about cutting a hole in my bedroom wall to make a window so that i can fall asleep looking at my tree. and i get really sad when it's time to take it down. if i thought i could get away with leaving it up all year, i would very seriously consider it.

i don't have a themed tree. it's far more eclectic. old ornaments and new. gifts and those i've bought for myself. but there are some recurring themes on my tree: angels, stars, snowflakes, snowmen, jingle bells and gingerbread cookies--and anything sparkly!


the snowflake was a Christmas gift from my Dad back when i was still just a kid; we always searched for the perfect spot on every tree to hang it so that it would reflect the lights--which were always multi-colored, just like i have on my own tree now. the icicle to the right was one that used to hang on my grandparents' tree; though it is just the simplest of decorations, it is one of my prized possessions.

this angel was a gift from my grandparents one year. as i unpacked her from her tissue-paper lined box, i received an unexpected gift...

...it's amazing how something as simple as an old gift tag can become so precious. just to see my Gram's handwriting again...



i love that for almost every ornament on my tree, there is a special meaning. i love that it tells the story of my life. i wouldn't trade it for all the perfectly manicured, themed, decorated trees in the world.

10 with their own thoughts:

Bickley Wednesday, December 24, 2008 7:06:00 AM  

Mmmm...I got all warm and fuzzy just looking at the pictures of your Christmas tree. Very nice.

Anonymous,  Wednesday, December 24, 2008 9:12:00 AM  

Amen. I've got ornaments I made as a kid side-by-side with ornaments that Nate has made. It's cool. There's a story behind everything, just like on yours.

A very merry Christmas to you, new friend. Thanks for sharing your life, and for reading mine.

Michelle Quinno Wednesday, December 24, 2008 10:27:00 AM  

Beautiful tree, Dawn! I have an eclectic collection too.

Merry Christmas!

*krystyn* Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:10:00 PM  

Lovely tree. I have lots of meaningful ornaments too-they are the best, aren't they!?! I also have some old cards that my grandma gave me way back when... Like you I love to see her handwriting.

Julie Wednesday, December 24, 2008 1:23:00 PM  

I hope you have a great Christmas Dawn!!

Your tree is beautiful. I also love the room when lit only by the tree.

Janet Wednesday, December 24, 2008 2:11:00 PM  

Why don't you get one of those small 3.5 foot trees and put that in your bedroom? You could rotate the ornaments...and it'd be a cool night light!

Colleen Saturday, December 27, 2008 11:12:00 PM  

If I had your beautiful tree, I would love it too. :)

Nichole M Tuesday, December 30, 2008 1:47:00 PM  

I love ornament stories. It's one of my favorite things about christmas.

gail@more than a song Wednesday, January 07, 2009 10:51:00 AM  

You should leave your tree up all year if you want! What a great conversation piece...or you could move it to your bedroom and have it lit at night, how cozy!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP